Collab: Relocate In-Game Text on Minigames

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a question here: if there are two pictures in the inforbox, could one be removed? I don't see the necessity of having a second image in an infobox that's supposed to be small.

EDIT: If there is a header in the main body of the article pertaining to the controls but the {{{controls}}} parameter is filled in the infobox, should the header in the main body be removed?

Chiaki Nanami said:
Just a question here: if there are two pictures in the inforbox, could one be removed? I don't see the necessity of having a second image in an infobox that's supposed to be small.

EDIT: If there is a header in the main body of the article pertaining to the controls but the {{{controls}}} parameter is filled in the infobox, should the header in the main body be removed?
Yes and yes.

Forgot to add this earlier, but I did the minigames for Mario Party Advance.

Checked to see if progress was done. Skimmed a few articles to see if the problem still persists: mixed. Some done, some not. Before doing this task myself since there wasn't any progress, does it also apply to Microgames as well? These descriptions are shorter than what the Mario Party mini-games had provided but I thought it would look better being relocated as well.

For those who don't know: yep, it's one of my template use designs gone wrong in terms of making the text stick out more than intended (Template:Minigame-infobox).

My intention was that the mini-game articles would get longer if it includes more detailed content on sections I placed up on established articles such as "Introduction", "Gameplay" (I actually wish I can change it to "Game mechanics" but that's for another time...maybe a proposal would do it), and "Ending" (perhaps change it to "Outcome") based on an abandoned wiki collaboration; I would include a new section called "Theme" (alternatively, "Setting") where it is dedicated to the atmosphere, and details of the mini-game that doesn't have to do with the game mechanics. Not too many articles have a dedicated section on describing the theme because for the Mario Party series, everything in the mini-game including reinforces the enjoyment and feeling of being in a party game. I'll talk about this particular section in another time; let's focus on this situation.

For justification of this thought, I recall someone by the name of User:Bottle Wizzerd who expanded articles such as: Hotel Goomba (current (Hotel Goomba)), Ground Pound Down (current (Ground Pound Down)), Fish Upon a Star (current (Fish Upon a Star)), and Coin Cache (current (Coin Cache)) as examples for having detailed articles. In a game mechanics mindset, I'm aware that not all of the mini-games had depth; some of them are luck-based, which might explain the smaller article size, and some of them are just simpler to follow, like Control Schtick.

If this task is completed; are you guys intended to eliminate the info slots ("info", "info2", and "info3") completely?

Already planned ahead and covered that. Here are the some of the notable last five mini-games I did: Bash 'n' Cash, Handcar Havoc, Grab Bag, Bobsled Run, and Skateboard Scamper.

I also decided that {{{controls}}} should be integrated to the article itself because there are some mini-games, more specifically, the 1-vs-3 or 2-vs-2 mini-games that has more info on the controls. I did some minor stuff too which will be based on the previous post I made in the topic here. I might actually consider reviving back the Mario Party series mini-games wiki collaboration back from the dead, since there's a new Mario Party game for the 3DS coming out in the horizon.

I got the list made just last night. I may share it after tackling the tough ones; I'll hijack this collaboration if Tucayo feels ok with it, or if there's no one on board still doing this.

Oh my, the need of sleepiness. Gotta make this quick.

Basically, I obtained permission from Tucayo, who created this wiki collaboration topic to "hijack" this thread and let me run it. Seeing that not much progress has been made at all upon my arrival. The reason is that I like party games such as the ''Mario Party'' games, and games like ''Crash Bash''. Party games to me are unique in that they pack in mini-games with wonders regarding the esthetics and game mechanics that like the mini-games shine.

Originally, Tucayo's task is to relocate the in-game text from the template into the article itself. Upon taking over, I put in additional tasks of maintaining the articles. I was going to do the hard work all by myself, and pass on the easy ones to partipicating users, but I was becoming one of the people that bailed out from doing this tedious-intensive project. This prompted me to get ahold of the wiki collaboration.

For timing reasons, most of the stuff I set up is now at my userspace wiki pages, with the main hub to be: User:RAP/test9 and it's talkpage. Most of the instructions and stuff are there:
MAIN HUB: (User:RAP/test9) (talk page (User_talk:RAP/test9)) (Tasks (User:RAP/test9#Tasks)) (Example (User:RAP/test4)) (Check list (User:RAP/testA))

Any comments and questions are welcome. I expect something to be missing due to this snoozy-induced scanario.

To Tuycao (OP) or moderator,

Can you please change the name of the topic to this: "COLLABORATION: MP mini-games series maintainence (now run by RAP)" to reflect the permission with Tucayo to "hijack" the wiki collaboration.

Also, can you please post this content in the first post before Tucayo's original text:
"
(this wiki collaboration is taken over by RAP with permission from OP (Tucayo), if you want to see the new topic post on his plans: click here)
"

If both of these are done correctly, this section will be removed.

There's no need to indicate who runs it. These are collaborations, which means anyone can partake in them. Personal projects don't need threads.

@Tucayo: I can agree on the ownership thing, you can remove that. It is a bit silly, even though this wiki collaboration hasn't been touched since mid 2013 February. However, both of them still need to be implemented because there are now additional goals added to the project. The current title doesn't reflect this. Potential users wanting to participate in this will assume that this project is all about relocating the in-game text from templates to the articles themselves offhand.

Due to the lack of participation of doing this tedious task after setting up a hub back in MarioWiki, I decided to tackle it myself; hence my specialty on doing maintenance (and repetitive) tasks. I rechecked all the mini-games to make sure I didn't miss anything. It took around almost a week to complete it.

I've now done most of the mini-games while going for the extra mile fulfilling the additional goals I set up myself (the stuff I've written up when I took the project over). Initially, I stopped doing the time limit and initial record info because they're taking up my time, but backtracked only on the time limit. The initial records are a lot more trickier to retrieve info from.

Here is a list of articles I've skipped:

MARIO PARTY 4
* Beach Volley Folley (1)(3)
* The Final Battle! (1) (3)
MARIO PARTY 5
* Frightmare (1) (3)
MARIO PARTY 6
* Endurance Alley (2)
* Mount Duel (2)
* Speak Up (4)
* Star Sprint (4)
* Dark Path (4)
* Magma Flow (4)
* Meadow Road (4)
MARIO PARTY DS
* Rocket Rascals (2)
MARIO PARTY 9
* Reverse Minigame (2) (4)

The things above are not intended to be addressed by me due to these reasons:
(1) They don't have in-game text info
(2) They sound more like modes than actual mini-games
(3) I can't seem to fit in a Template:minigame-infobox in there
(4) I absolutely have no idea what to do

I listed those things above as the end result of attempting and failing to do something about those. Those entries are are left there incase someone else will tackle it in the future.

There are some mini-game articles that I've put a lot of effort as honorable mentions in comparison to other mini-games due to how the way it was previously structured:
MARIO PARTY 3
* Picture Imperfect ~ converted the content into a table; someone else should fill in the empty spots on images and the amount of points.
MARIO PARTY 5
* Ice Hockey ~ took a ton of time to pre-plan of how the table should be presented; my viewset of an ideal table is something that is easy and accessible to read from, and after polishing and tweaking, I had to manually plug a bunch of Team Names in
MARIO PARTY 8
* Cardiators ~ had to tweak the numbers to make it more compressed and compact so it won't take very much space

This thread is now done. Can a mod move this topic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back