Project 132 (beta)

How was the latest update? If you just plain didn't like it, leave me a review below.

• Eh, neutral.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I liked it.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • It was awesome!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Project 132 - Sign-ups, reviews and ratings welcome! - Reference sheet added!

Tabuu said:
also, if anybody can execute Lots and Lots of Characters right, I'd say I can
That's kinda conceited. It's up to the readers to decide how well an author can or can't pull things off, not you, and going around saying "oh yeah, im so good" is a great way to make people NOT want to read your stuff. Getting really touchy and defensive is another way. Javelin made some valid criticisms and you jumping down his throat is a real swell way to repay him for taking the time to read and review your story. You've done the same to me, and I'll tell ya, it's not appreciated.

As for pulling it off, so far, no, you're not. I know I have to read with the reference sheet open in the other tab for constant consultation, and that's not a good thing. The ancestors are manageable because we've been hearing about (most of) them all along and it's easier to remember animals rather than names alone ("X the Y", repeat), and most of em were non-characters anyway (literally, now that they're almost all weapons), but the characters? Nope. Off the top of my head, I can only name about half of them; if their regular user names were used, it'd probably be easier (this is a user fanfic, after all: the non-user and OC levels are already pushing it - you really don't need to go reimagining the actual folks' names too).

The difference between the intermission and all the ancestors being introduced earlier is that we're being asked to remember and warm up to all these new characters, all at once, on top of the cast we're still trying to get to know, whereas before, the ancestors were more of a collective we had to know of, with the understanding that the individuals would be trotted out gradually (which is the way to do it, and to your credit, the mythology stuff certainly made a couple of them seem like characters to look forward to). Of the folks introduced in the intermission, honestly, the only ones that left an impression were Skell and Lee; others kinda felt like "aww, but we already have fire and lightning people in the ensemble - why do we need to replace them with n00bs?", although gamer Anton and the moody black sheep ice guy at least seem like decent candidates for a "get ur butt in gear or die" plot.

So yeah, overall, some aspects are promising, but you have to recognize that the sheer size of the protagonist ensemble is daunting, with the fancy names and OCs not helping the case, and the overlap between badass normals we already care about (or are still hoping to see developed beyond the basic intros) and newcomers we don't know yet just adds another concern for the readers. You also need to stop biting the hand that reviews you - you wanted feedback, didn't you? Sometimes it's not going to be stuff you wanted to hear, and while you can try and reassure us it'll get better, you're doing no one any favours with that aggressive tone you take whenever someone questions the plot choices. Good authors take their lumps with grace, not arrogance.

Re: Project 132 - Sign-ups, reviews and ratings welcome! - Reference sheet added!

Per.

Everything I might have possibly said was said in that post.

in case anyone ever wondered why Walkazo is the best critic I've ever had, that stomp in the above post should be evidence enough

Anyways, I think I should give an explanation to you.

The thing about all these "lots and lots of characters" thing is that, yeah, you have no way of really remembering who all of these people are. Hell, I have to use the reference sheet quite often. I made it specifically because I knew where the scale of this possible grand finale of my UP writing was going, and that it was going to be hard for me to keep up the slack if I didn't have a set of rules I needed to abide by.

I just finished Part 2 of 5, and the parts themselves may end up getting even longer than Part 2 was. The reason behind Part 2 being so much longer than Part 1 was because of all the added character density, and I'm not expecting you to go like "oh,. okay, names, cool" whenever I introduce a fuckton more characters en masse like that. The irritation you've both shown with this wasn't really unexpected- the reason I've been so defensive about it is because I had been hoping I'd be given more time to explore these characters and expand all these plots before the opinions went sour.

Serial fics don't lend themselves to these scenarios, I'll admit. And what I just said probably should've been said from the beginning, except all my "have faith"s and "if anybody can do it, I can" because those have, well, yeah, made me look and sound like an arrogant shithead. Most importantly,

Walkazo said:
You also need to stop biting the hand that reviews you - you wanted feedback, didn't you? Sometimes it's not going to be stuff you wanted to hear, and while you can try and reassure us it'll get better, you're doing no one any favours with that aggressive tone you take whenever someone questions the plot choices. Good authors take their lumps with grace, not arrogance.

This is absolutely right and I've said it to other people myself while being dicks to them.

Hypocrisy recognized. I apologize sincerely to both of you, and hope my behavior hasn't made you want to ditch this thing.

Tabuu said:
Hypocrisy recognized. I apologize sincerely to both of you, and hope my behavior hasn't made you want to ditch this thing.
hey, you know me

if you're being a moron, it doesn't offend me

Tabuu said:
The irritation you've both shown with this wasn't really unexpected- the reason I've been so defensive about it is because I had been hoping I'd be given more time to explore these characters and expand all these plots before the opinions went sour.

This reminds me of something Stephen King mentions in his book On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft as part of his advice to budding writers. It's too late to take it at this point and might not be even be applicable given the general way user fiction's done (at least from what I've gathered from reading a work-in-progress like this), but he recommends something along the lines of "writing the first draft with the door closed and the second (and any others) with the door open." This approach involves "writing the story" (introducing/developing characters and recording their experiences) and opening up to feedback once you're done with that (this is focused on "taking out everything that isn't the story"). King's issue with feedback during the initial writing process is that this can cause you to focus more on impressing a reader or readers than on actually telling the story, which is detrimental because stories rarely end up as authors set out for them to start.

I don't give up on stories that easily.

Mario4Ever said:
This reminds me of something Stephen King mentions in his book On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft as part of his advice to budding writers. It's too late to take it at this point and might not be even be applicable given the general way user fiction's done (at least from what I've gathered from reading a work-in-progress like this), but he recommends something along the lines of "writing the first draft with the door closed and the second (and any others) with the door open." This approach involves "writing the story" (introducing/developing characters and recording their experiences) and opening up to feedback once you're done with that (this is focused on "taking out everything that isn't the story"). King's issue with feedback during the initial writing process is that this can cause you to focus more on impressing a reader or readers than on actually telling the story, which is detrimental because stories rarely end up as authors set out for them to start.
Very good advice. The first draft is never the best draft, and it's also simply a lot more fun to write when you're not always worrying about making people wait for updates and feeling pressure to wow them every time.

I've found that one way to try and avoid the worst stresses of serialization is to maintain a buffer between the writing and publishing - so you can add new content at your leisure and have a chance to revise stuff before it goes up. I made the mistake of serializing my latest story, but keeping a 10-50 page buffer (the bigger the better: it started as 100) has made it manageable. Waiting until you're done is still the best way to do it, of course, but if you must serialize, instead of posting as you write, post as you proofread: then you get feedback but can still keep a decently firm hold on the project.

Funny thing- a lot of the recent chapters have been rewritten a lot. The Reaper Council chapter in particular was sloppily executed when I first wrote it, so I waited a few days to think about how much I hated it and then wrote the final version.

[quote author=Userpedia Awards]3) Pokemon Black and White – Wiki Edition – 21 – 14.00%
7) Project 132 – 10 – 6.67%[/quote]
ha ha HA

i'm never going to let you forget this

your story is based on an established property that's popular worldwide

my story is completely original

doesn't change the fact that i win

mwa ha ha

news flash

pokemon more popular than project 132

more at 12

NEWS FLASH

JAVELIN MURDERED BY MYSTERIOUS FIGURE

THE NUMBERS "132" WRITTEN IN JAVELIN'S OWN BLOOD

i wouldn't give myself away that easy

obvious suicide

no, i wrote it in my own blood after you stabbed me

scythes don't stab, they cut

you can still stab someone with the point

duh

so guys, should I make a sequel or merge the storyline I had planned for that one with this one

Re: Project 132 - PART 3: PLANETARY DEVASTATION COMING SOON

I think you shouldn't think about a sequel until this is done. If merging the storyline is what it's gonna take for it to get to that point, then do that.

Re: Project 132 - PART 3: PLANETARY DEVASTATION COMING SOON

The reason I ask this is because (as you know) there's a lot of foreshadowing placed here for the sequel...if the sequel's events are going to be added to this one (I'm thinking it'll add another two, three parts to the story's running time, drastically expanding the scale of the story) it's important that I'm able to address it sooner and have it act as more of a natural part of the story, instead of the planned climax and then-

Based Sora said:
so guys, should I make a sequel or merge the storyline I had planned for that one with this one
depends on how compatible the storylines are, and how much work you want to put into this one fiction. if you want this to be a ludicrous masterpiece of epic proportions, then merge; if you'd rather make two seperate but linked fictions, then make a sequel.

Re: Project 132 - PART 3: PLANETARY DEVASTATION HAS BEGUN

the question no longer applies

I decided to merge 'em.

oh, okay

also am i the only one who thought this was confusing

i personally am not too keen on the whole connection to the usa, but that might be a personal preference

there's...not a connection?
this is just where "Cecil" happened to live before the world ended?

it's still in the story though

which makes it less fantasy, or whatever

Back