Sapphire Help

Paper Yoshi

Jonny Boy
Some days ago, I decided I would reset my copy of Pokémon Sapphire. I want to use a different team, so I would like you guys to give me suggestions for the new team.

For reference purposes, these are the Pokémon I used in my first playthrough:

Sceptile
-Leaf Blade
-Slam
-False Swipe
-Pursuit
Swellow
-Fly
-Quick Attack
-Double Team
-Aerial Ace
Lanturn
-Waterfall
-Spark
-Thunderbolt
-Thunder Wave
Wailord
-Surf
-Dive
-Water Spout
-Ice Beam
Medicham
-Hi Jump Kick
-Brick Break
-Psychic
-Fire Punch
Linoone
-Cut
-Strength
-Maybe Rock Smash
-Some other move

If you pick Mudkip, Wattson's gym is a breeze.

Torchic is a great fire type and becoming part fighting when it evolves isn't a bad thing.

An electric type is very helpful what with all the water routes you'll come across. My personal suggestion is Manectric.

If you don't mind it's Truant ability, Slaking is very helpful. Hyper Beam+Silk Scarf+STAB=PWNAGE.

Theres a variety of options here, so I'll go over a few.

-Ralts line-

Very hard to train, and ralts line has very poor defense and as such can get crushed by powerful physical attackers using dark and bug moves. It doesn't help that ralts and co has poor hp and speed.

On the plus side, ralts line is very good at special defense and special offense. A variety of good moves from offense, to support exist, also if you have a ninjask with baton pass(speedboost), pass it on to its future evos for some good effects.

-Mudkip line-

Mudkip goes from decent to amazing.

Its future evos grant it with the water and ground typing, with many key resistances and only one weakess, even though the weakness to grass is x4.

Regardless though it becomes a slow, but reliable attacker with good walling abilities, it also gets a variety of good moves for offense such as earthquake, return, brick break, double edge, and rock slide. A very effective pokemon, and as said, crushes the electric gym.

-Magnemite line-

Magnemite and its evos are interesting... having rather good defenses and a rather good special attack, can also trap steels and just be a pain in general. It can do good with with its thunderbolt, flash cannon, tri beam, metal sound, thunder wave, and reflect.

Of course it can rely on toxic to take down certain threats, it is really slow though, but luckily thunder wave can change that pretty easily.

However one must be cautious of its x4 weakness to ground.

-Aron line-

Aron line has 3 weaknesses(two of which are x4), is slow, poor special defense, and evolves very late, now you're probably wondering why i mentiond it in the first place.

Aron line has plenty of resistances to talk about, not to mention insane defense and great attack, it also gets access to some really good moves like earthquake, focus punch(only use with sub though), iron head, rock slide, double edge, brick break, fire punch, and thunder punch.

So if you play its strengths well you can really cause pain with its later evolutions.

-Lileep line-

Lileep is one of the fussels you get and can evolve into cradily.

Its really hard to train though, but the results can be nice depending on your playstyle.

Its typing is a bit mixed with good resistances and bad weaknesses, but its a very good defensive pokemon, although its ability suction cups can be annoying until it dies.

But it is very useful. It's able to use stockpile which it can spit up to do damage or swallow to restore hp. It also gets recover. It's a great user of toxic and sandstorm can help rack up the damage as well, it has lower than average offenses, but its rather good at taking hits and stalling.

-Anorith line-

Another fossil and like Lileep, it evolves a little late so its a bit tough to train, although easier to train than lileep.

It evolves into Armaldo, who boosts an interesting bug/rock type, which only has one weakness, although not that may resistances either.

Regardless though its a good offensive typing, put that with armaldos 125 base attack and have fun.

Sad thing is Armaldo is rather slow, and must rely on baton passing agilities or speed boosts to be decently fast, however its defenses aren't all that bad and it can make use of a variety of different offensive moves such as return, rock slide, brick break, body slam, double edge, and iron tail.

Sadly it cant make use of the bug typing since the only bug move it learns in rse is fury cutter.

It can also learn swords dance to increase its attack even further, not a bad pokemon though.

-Carvanna line-

boosting a great offensive typing in dark/water and getting some seriously good attack, decent special attack, and decent speed, its a pretty nice pokemon.

It's also able to use a variety of good moves such as crunch, ice beam, thrash, surf, hydro pump, screech, slash, earthquake, return, and double edge. Sounds great so far....

but thats where it ends. Carvanna line is very VERY frail even its evolution only has 70/40/40 defenses, which is about the equivalent of charmeleon., to top it off it is weak to plenty of things:

electric, grass, fighting, and bug. All common attacking types, so to make this work you literally have to KO your foe that turn, of course this can be done by using ninjask + swords dance + baton pass, but yeah.

Anyway thats all i have for now, ill add some more stuff later maybe.

Samus Aran said:

-Ralts line-

poor defense and as such can get crushed by powerful physical attackers using dark

Actually, Dark moves were all special until DPPt. Still, you're right about Dark and Bug moves crushing them. Ralts users also need to be aware of Ghost types since Ghosts were physical during this time.

Staraptor said:
Samus Aran said:

-Ralts line-

poor defense and as such can get crushed by powerful physical attackers using dark

Actually, Dark moves were all special until DPPt. Still, you're right about Dark and Bug moves crushing them. Ralts users also need to be aware of Ghost types since Ghosts were physical during this time.

well ghosts are still pretty rare in this gen, and banette is too slow to be a threat and dusclops can't really do damage outside of night shade and toxic so....

Though I'm not sure if Gastly was in rse, so yeah.

Well, thanks for the suggestions, guys!! I don't have Sapphire with me right now, but I'll be sure to try those Pokémon!

I will post my team here when I get to play the game.

One last piece of advice from me. Try to develop a strategy that can take down Steven's Metagross. It only has two weaknesses (fire and ground) and it counters fire quite easily thanks to Earthquake.

Staraptor said:
One last piece of advice from me. Try to develop a strategy that can take down Steven's Metagross. It only has two weaknesses (fire and ground) and it counters fire quite easily thanks to Earthquake.

could always use swampart and its earthquake.

plus it doesnt take much from its stabs.

Back