Shigeru Miyamoto

Charlie Mulgrew said:
Shigeru Miyamoto is an inspiration to me and always will be.
^

I don't have any problem with him.

Although a lot of people have begun hating him because of the two nearly back-to-back NSMB titles and Sticker Star's design choice.

Radagast the Brown said:
why do people hate sticker star again?

It doesn't follow suite that the previous PM games made and basically threw out everything the PM series prior had built upon. It's a great game, but it's not really a Paper Mario game as it should have been before he started altering it.

Miyamoto is a great guy and game developer, but I really don't like the direction he's been taking Nintendo in lately. He has been demanding for basically as little plot in Mario games since Mario is all about playing and not bore people with a story.

He also has made Mario all centered around the NSM for the last 6 years. Look at PM:SS, look at SMG2, look at MP9. They all have shown a lot of design or themes that are well known in the NSMB stuff. PM with the level-esque worlds, the basic enemies, the lack of side quests, and straightforward Mario against enemies. SMG2 had the map and travel to worlds to be like the NSMB maps, with the levels are short and sweet. MP9 had many levels that used the background of NSMB, had the central theme of working together to defeat a boss at the end of each world/board, and plenty of other gimmicks/controls in some mini-games.

Zelda is okay right now, but I hope they make more items next time and more temples because I felt that even though Skyward Sword was awesome it wasn't very consistent with many Zelda aspects of gameplay we were used to.

Pikmin I'm glad they are finally giving a 3rd one, but Miyamoto wants to a time limit on it again, I really don't want to be stressed out on not really having fun but just going from start to finish in as little time as possible.

Basically, a major reoccurring thing with him is that he feels that plot or exploration should not be the driving force, but to just play through a simple game so that you can play as a family. I mean, it sounds wonderful if you are playing AS a family, but for the most part you are playing by yourself, and heck most games I talked about were solo games that's he wanting this.

Multiplayer it makes sense for just family fun, but solo player shouldn't be mixed in with that. We shouldn't be taken away the plot or the ability to freely explore the land to have fun. It's becoming a lot more go here to there and not as fun as it used to be.

EDIT - Whoops, I didn't mean to go in a huge rant.

Radagast the Brown said:
why do people hate sticker star again?

Lack of side quests, linear, battles are 'pointless', stickers are plentiful (more-so if you're avoiding battles, I don't recommend it) and lack of plot or quirky characters.

I still love it though, just because the battles are fun and I like most of the levels.

I respect him for creating many good games however,his recent actions with the Mario series make me think he worships NSMB.

Brony the 45th Nazgul of the great Sith Lords said:
I respect him for creating many good games however,his recent actions with the Mario series make me think he worships NSMB.
I'm pretty sure they won't be any NSMB in while.

Anyway people are only complaining about him just for NSMB which really ins't a big deal.

I still wouldn't mind more nsmb games

Eh nsmbu looks decent so theres hope. Main thing that needs to change for the series altogether though is the factors of visual and music styles.

Since they're pretty bland at this point.

Cirdec said:
I think we are done with NSMB games, because NSMBU is really complete.
Yeah until the next generation at least.

Miyamoto doesn't understand why some people want a new F-Zero.

surely it's not because there hasn't been one since effing 2003

Doomie said:

the most recent one was for GBA right?

GP Legend (no not the user) was released on the GBA to tie in with the anime series of the same name in 2004. I stand corrected, but my point still stands.

Doomie said:

It's probably not that dude it's all about money why would they take the time to develop a game that will sell a few hundred thousand copies when they could easily make a game that will see over a million copies easily

Doomie said:

and if they make a new one people will complain about how disappointing and worse it is compared to the old titles

Christian Brutal Sniper said:
Doomie said:

and if they make a new one people will complain about how disappointing and worse it is compared to the old titles

That's only a possibility.

Christian Brutal Sniper said:
Doomie said:

F-Zero made by Ninja Theory, starring a new, edgier and darker Captain Falcon with an oscar-bait plot. Now, instead of 30-player breakneck speed racing, we've redesigned the system so now everyone has a fair chance, so it's now a 8-player gokart racer!

I used to respect him, like, MADLY, but now I can't help disliking him. It's obvious his time to retire has come. The quality of Mario games has decreased during the last years (the last good game for me being Galaxy 2), he's all about freaking New Super Mario Bros. now and the Mario series is, overall, stuck. Mario hasn't offered anything actually new since the first Super Mario Galaxy (since 2 was just a reboot, which is something I also resent him for). I also hate the decisions he made with Paper Mario: Sticker Star. He felt the game was a port of Thousand-Year Door, so he decided to change it, and ended up being that piece of crap we got.

If Mario really wants to be saved, Miyamoto needs to get the hell out of Nintendo and let new, fresh and younger designers take over. No, I'm not talking about economics, because I'm aware that anything that says "Mario" on its title is going to sell millions. I'm talking about the relevance the Mario series has in the world of videogames. Look at it, and ask what you would call "modern gamers" today and they will all tell you Mario games nowadays are nothing but a joke. Yeah, the CHARACTER Mario is undoubtedly iconic, but his latest games? Not so much. People who are not fans just don't take Mario seriously anymore, and I think it's also because Mario has been badly exploited during the last years. Before, it was like "A NEW MARIO GAME? OMG", now, it's like "ANOTHER one? Meh".

So yeah, for those who say tl;dr, Miyamoto needs to retire and stop sinking the Mario series.

(Also, wtf is up with him asking why people want a new F-Zero? HELLO? The series has been absent for freaking TEN years, maybe?)

Remember the wait between SM64 and LM? Everyone went crazy (from what I've heard, I was an infant when it was released)

Anser said:
I used to respect him, like, MADLY, but now I can't help disliking him. It's obvious his time to retire has come. The quality of Mario games has decreased during the last years (the last good game for me being Galaxy 2), he's all about freaking New Super Mario Bros. now and the Mario series is, overall, stuck. Mario hasn't offered anything actually new since the first Super Mario Galaxy (since 2 was just a reboot, which is something I also resent him for). I also hate the decisions he made with Paper Mario: Sticker Star. He felt the game was a port of Thousand-Year Door, so he decided to change it, and ended up being that piece of crap we got.

If Mario really wants to be saved, Miyamoto needs to get the hell out of Nintendo and let new, fresh and younger designers take over. No, I'm not talking about economics, because I'm aware that anything that says "Mario" on its title is going to sell millions. I'm talking about the relevance the Mario series has in the world of videogames. Look at it, and ask what you would call "modern gamers" today and they will all tell you Mario games nowadays are nothing but a joke. Yeah, the CHARACTER Mario is undoubtedly iconic, but his latest games? Not so much. People who are not fans just don't take Mario seriously anymore, and I think it's also because Mario has been badly exploited during the last years. Before, it was like "A NEW MARIO GAME? OMG", now, it's like "ANOTHER one? Meh".

So yeah, for those who say tl;dr, Miyamoto needs to retire and stop sinking the Mario series.

(Also, wtf is up with him asking why people want a new F-Zero? HELLO? The series has been absent for freaking TEN years, maybe?)
Right why don't we chop your point into pieces.

Yes I do think it's time for him to step down but he's not trying to piss us off.

The NSMB games are not actually that bad (2 was okay-good, never played U both lot's people say it's by far the best in the series), people just complain about them being too many games there.

Super Mario 3D Land had a prefect modern feel to it, while it's not the best 3DS game out there, it's defiantly a good game and I enjoyed playing it. It actually had a lot of new elements.

I do agree with you on the "Oh it's too similar to TYYD, you must change it" but the outcome may be the worst game in the series, it was still far from a piece of Crap. (Apart from the 5th boss which was just horrible)

Mario is not as good as it is but it will return to his sanity, old classic fans will take over and create some awesome games plus the spin off games (excluding the overdicussed rosters) are still going strong.

Also Miyamoto is not sinking the series, he's trying to do what's right. Also Skyward Sword wad an amazing game that was made recently and look who made that?

Lastly, they will create a F-Zero game soon, I mean fans have been dying for a new Pikmin game and one was revealed at E3, so I don't see any difference in that.

Back