Hand Drawn at Disney

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
So a LONG while ago, I came across this article, and it's only until recently that I stopped being lazy and actually got around to sharing it. What's it about? Well, basically, it says that John Lassenter, aka the guy who's been basically leading Disney in the right direction these past few years, announced some time ago that they won't be doing anymore traditionally animated movies in the near future:

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/2012/10/hand-drawn-at-disney.html

Well... okay, it technically didn't say that, per se, but it doesn't feel like he's pushing the idea, nor does it feel like Disney even wants to do it anymore. Why? It looks good, plus looking at the last two hand-drawn movies, it's so much cheaper. But I guess The Princess and the Frog and Winnie the Pooh didn't make as much money as expected. I really don't know what to say about The Princess and the Frog, other than it made money, maybe it's the whole "Disney princess" angle and that's just not going to cut it anymore. As for Winnie the Pooh, it just barely made back it's budget, which was $30 million. Oh, and I'm sure that releasing it on THE SAME WEEKEND AS THE FINAL HARRY POTTER MOVIE HAD ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH IT'S BOX OFFICE PERFORMANCE WHATSOEVER!!!! Geez, it's almost like Disney PURPOSEFULLY premiered it then, just so they could use it as an excuse not to do these kinds of movies anymore!

No, don't get me wrong, I think a movie SHOULD rely on the story and characters to be good, not the visuals or how it's animated. I mean, that can certainly be a plus, but what I'm getting at is, I don't want that style of animation to die out. I know some movies are better suited to CG movies. Like Wreck-It Ralph, that was CG, and it fits, seeing as it was about video games and such. But I feel like, if a movie CAN be hand-drawn, and if it suits the movie, do it! Just give us one last chance, I SWEAR we won't disappoint you, Disney!

They should make a movie based on Paper Man's art style. That would be really cool

Ah man, poor drawn-then-colored Mickey Mouse. Now we're going to have to deal with Clubhouse Mickey-styled Mickey at worst, or Epic Mickey at best

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/breaking-disney-just-gutted-their-hand-drawn-animation-division-81043.html

Punch-Computer.jpg

I... just don't even know where to start with this...

Tis sad news indeed :'(

Time Turner said:
Disney: Good at making Marvel movies. Not so good at pleasing the fans in other departments.
And that's only because they BOUGHT Marvel, and THEY'RE the ones making the movies.

Well, yeah, it makes sense. Tangled got a lot of money, despite it being a traditional Disney movie, just using 3D. And Pixar were the only ones making good movies in the Disney studios for quite a few years.

I mean, sure, it's the end of an era, ect ect, but I think it can work well. It's just the natural evolution of design. 3D animation can look amazing now.

Baby Luigi said:
They should make a movie based on Paper Man's art style. That would be really cool
I believe that might be the future of animation, the blend between traditional and CGI they managed with that short is beautiful and it felt really expressive! The reason they came up with it was the exact same concern of traditional animation being replaced on their films.

Cheerilee said:
Baby Luigi said:
I believe that might be the future of animation, the blend between traditional and CGI they managed with that short is beautiful and it felt really expressive!

I hope so, because we need a film that is animated just like this short.

Back