RIP Hostess

Stooben

Star Spirit
Chat Administrator
Retired Wiki Staff
http://hostessbrands.com/Closing.aspx
http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/16/news/companies/hostess-closing/

Hostess Brands -- the maker of such iconic baked goods as Twinkies, Drake's Devil Dogs and Wonder Bread -- announced Friday that it is asking a federal bankruptcy court for permission to close its operations, blaming a strike by bakers protesting a new contract imposed on them. Hostess' nearly 18,500 workers will lose their jobs as the company shuts 33 bakeries and 565 distribution centers nationwide, as well as 570 outlet stores.

No more Twinkies. No more Sno Balls. No more Nature's Pride, Sunbeam, or even Wonder bread.

No more Ring Dings...or Ding Dongs!

Zingers, Yodels, Donettes, Ho Hos, Devil Dogs, Mini Muffins, Suzy Qs, and a bunch of other snacks and bread brands I can't remember; all gone. While it is possible some brands, such as Twinkies or Wonder Bread, could get bought out by another company, most of Hostess' brands will probably disappear by...uhh...December.

Having another 18,500 people unemployed in this country doesn't help things at all, either. I hope their families will fare out alright.

I have to admit, this news kind of bummed me, since some of these snacks are among my favorites, and I'll likely never see them again after next week. And although I usually just buy store brand bread, it's going to be really weird not seeing Wonder bread on the shelves everywhere...

Anyway, feel free to discuss (or mope). Thought I would spread the news for those of you who enjoy Hostess' snacks.

Man, this news made me sad.

What'll we eat if a nuclear apocalypse were to occur?

Is it wrong that the hostess from Doctor Who is the first thing that came to mind?

In all seriousness, it's a huge shame that the company's gone out of business.

I'm unsure whether to be upset about the company giving the workers wage/benefit cuts, or the workers on strike not heeding the warning. Sorta upset with both. Either way, it's a sucky scenario, but I'm sure than some other company will absorb it and continue making the snacks. They're just not gonna let Twinkies, Ho-Hos, and Wonder Bread vanish. My guess is Little Debbie.

This is why unions don't work nowadays.

Politoed said:
I'm unsure whether to be upset about the company giving the workers wage/benefit cuts, or the workers on strike not heeding the warning.
I think the workers are more at fault than the company. Hostess even explained that they're in financial trouble, but the workers still kept on with the strike. In the economy nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised if more companies are doing this.

Anyways, this is a sad day indeed, probably one of the most iconic companies is no more. RIP SnoBalls and Ding Dongs :(

FUCK NO I CANT TAKE IT :'(
good thing i got some of that shit left in the storage 8)

I'm also reminded of Zombieland--the one character who's on a quest to get more Twinkies. IT'S COMING TRUE!

Politoed said:
I'm also reminded of Zombieland--the one character who's on a quest to get more Twinkies. IT'S COMING TRUE!

I was just thinking about Tallahassee, too. :p

Politoed said:

Haha man, such a great movie.

IT BEGINS

On topic:

I gotta say that's pretty dang depressing, thats a lot of workers and jobs to lose, considering we're not exactly doing well on either. :(

Politoed said:
Either way, it's a sucky scenario, but I'm sure than some other company will absorb it and continue making the snacks. They're just not gonna let Twinkies, Ho-Hos, and Wonder Bread vanish. My guess is Little Debbie.
Little Debbie already has [albeit, inferior] clones of Twinkies and Ho-Hos, so that seems unlikely. Kellogg's and Bimbo are in the running for purchases, as far as I know, though, so that leaves some hope.

Dusknoir said:
This is why unions don't work nowadays.

I think the workers are more at fault than the company. Hostess even explained that they're in financial trouble, but the workers still kept on with the strike. In the economy nowadays, I wouldn't be surprised if more companies are doing this.
I actually feel the workers (more specifically, the strikers) are more at fault too. Hostess has been struggling financially for several years. Although the cutbacks in the new contract were somewhat unfair (and some workers probably wouldn't be able to support their families upon accepting them), it would still have left most those 18,000+ people with jobs. It was a bad time to try calling Hostess' bluff.

Politoed said:
lol, I almost named the thread "Tallahassee is not amused".

I haven't had a Twinkie in years, and now I'm legitimately regretting it.

Stooben said:
Politoed said:
Either way, it's a sucky scenario, but I'm sure than some other company will absorb it and continue making the snacks. They're just not gonna let Twinkies, Ho-Hos, and Wonder Bread vanish. My guess is Little Debbie.
Little Debbie already has [albeit, inferior] clones of Twinkies and Ho-Hos, so that seems unlikely. Kellogg's and Bimbo are in the running for purchases, as far as I know, though, so that leaves some hope.
AFAIK, Bimbo makes Wonder bread in most of Latinamerica, as well as our equivalent of Twinkies, so they may do the same in the US. They are pretty much a monopoly.

I guess all of this is the doing of Betty Crocker...

but on serious thing this sucks.

Aw man. I love Twinkies.

And Mini Muffins.

This sucks.

Nabber said:
This planet needs to stop sucking.

Eh, I don't miss these indulgences, but I feel your pain on missing these treats.

Blastoise said:
wait, do they make nutty bars

oh wait that's little debbie

okay then i don't really mind
^^^^

besides, there's probably a bunch of twinkies lying underground somewhere and they'll still be there after the apocalypse

nbd, the twinkies we have now will still last another 50 years

Back