Bad Walkthrough-style Writing

Bop1996

Power Star
Retired Wiki Staff
Many of our level articles have loads of bad walkthrough-style phrases/tense usage. The biggest culprits are phrases like "can", "must", "may", and "should", which disrupt the flow of the article and make the article read more like a GameFAQ than an encyclopedic entry on a level from a video game. This also goes for collectibles like Star Coins and K-O-N-G Letters, which have descriptions that focus mostly on what the player has to do in a way that reads like a walkthrough. Another, slightly less prominent problem is the use of future tense in summaries, which also disrupts the flow. This is a good example of what to avoid in articles like these; it describes things with a very tangled jumble of tenses and styles, features both future tense forms and walkthrough-like phrasing, and just generally gets in the way of its own information.

Pyro

Power Star
the Arrow Cloud with an egg
AAAAH RED LINK

I think instead of the level summary being a bad walkthrough, we should have the level pages be summaries of the levels, and a link at the bottom to a walkthrough page.

I.E.
"Warm Fuzzy Plains"
this is a level in sticker star etc.

"Walkthrough/Warm Fuzzy Plains"
defeat goombas and heres how to solve this puzzle etc.

Bop1996

Power Star
Retired Wiki Staff
Or we could summarize everything in the level without sounding like a walkthrough, and let the people that want walkthroughs use GameFAQs or YouTube? Avoiding having walkthroughs or walkthrough-like content here is the whole purpose of this thread. Granted, level summaries can still be used as a walkthrough, but that doesn't mean we have to purposefully cater to those using them for that purpose.

Ray Trace

You Can Tick Off Birds If You Follow My Advice
It may not be related to level articles, but I've seen strategy-like wording in the Paper Mario items articles. I remember I fixed some of those before this proposal was made, but there could be still some left.

Ray Trace

You Can Tick Off Birds If You Follow My Advice
Pokémon Trainer Red said:
Don't we have an NIWA wiki for walkthroughs already? I'll help with this.
Yes, it's StrategyWiki

Or you can just go to an actual walk-through site like GameFAQs instead