Puerto Rico - 51st State

Puerto Ricans opt for Statehood in referendum

So, it appears that Puerto Rico is telling the United States that they want to become the official 51st state of America.

My concern is that how will the flag change in order to account for the new state if Obama and the Congress passes it? I bet they will have a contest to make the best new American Flag and go down in history, replacing the person that last made the official flag.

I wonder what the outcome of this will be?

Fi said:
My concern is that how will the flag change in order to account for the new state
First world problems.

Okay, the star thing isn't really my main concern.

It'll just be....weird. Hawaii was the last state to become a state in over 60 years. It will be so weird to say that America as 51 states, and how everyone will just adjust to it. It'll make the next election more interesting. It'll just...take a while to get used to it.

Though I hope that they become a state. I think that it would be awesome to have them officially apart of the United States.

Ah darn. Fifty was such a perfect number, too. It made a nice round 100 senators. Couldn't they just add it to Florida or Louisiana.

Nah, just kidding. I've always wanted to be alive during the adding of a state.

Puerto Rico had a flag included when they passed it on to congress

51_star_flag_alt.jpg

Also, there is concern that politics will get involved with this--Puerto Rico is heavily liberal, and is, well, quite clearly a 'minority' population. This would give more seats and stuff to Democrats, most likely, so Republicans may make an effort to block their statehood. On the other hand, doing so would be a really huge dick move and everyone would hate them for it, so that might not happen!

Politoed said:
Puerto Rico had a flag included when they passed it on to congress

[flag]

Also, there is concern that politics will get involved with this--Puerto Rico is heavily liberal, and is, well, quite clearly a 'minority' population. This would give more seats and stuff to Democrats, most likely, so Republicans may make an effort to block their statehood. On the other hand, doing so would be a really huge dick move and everyone would hate them for it, so that might not happen!

Fun fact: The democratic candidate got 71% of the Hispanic vote in this year's presidential election.

It still seems a little too close of a vote for Puerto Rico to become a state. But it'd be pretty interesting seeing another state get added to the US in our lifetimes. Even though I've always kinda liked the conveniently even number of 50. Though it's not like that's a big loss. If a majority of Puerto Rico citizens would be proud to see the territory become a state, I say reward them that.

President Obama says that he is going for whatever the majority of people are voting for, so it will most likely be another non-mainland state, like Alaska or Hawaii

what if the majority votes to pick puerto rico up and set it down on top of nebraska? what then?

Pokémon Trainer Nate said:
President Obama says that he is going for whatever the majority of people are voting for, so it will most likely be another non-mainland state, like Alaska or Hawaii

no shit, you don't think they're going to move the whole island and stick it onto florida?

New Super Mario said:
While it's be cool to have another state join in my lifetime, I don't really see the point in doing it.

http://www.prstatehood.com/issues/index.asp

Back