Puerto Rico - 51st State

Oh, jeez. You guys thought I was serious. No, no not at all. That was just a joke.

However, cutting it into fourths would give the Republicans six more senators and six more electoral votes, minus Southern Texas which was mostly Democrat in the last election. But that was mainly because of Romney's proposed immigration policies. Which I didn't see a problem with, personally, but yeah...

Bulbasaur said:
Banjo said:
The Constitution actually lays out no provisions for merging or splitting states, if I remember right. All the more proof that a West Virginia is a hoax.

the constitution said:
New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

yes it does

It appears you're right.

Darn it, time to reset my "X days without being corrected" counter.

tucayo said:
Daaaamn, that'd mean I'd be missing a quarter in my US States' Quarters collection.
Actually, I'm pretty sure there already is a Puerto Rico quarter. They've made quarters for non-state areas of the US.

Butterscotch Surprise said:
tucayo said:
Daaaamn, that'd mean I'd be missing a quarter in my US States' Quarters collection.
Actually, I'm pretty sure there already is a Puerto Rico quarter. They've made quarters for non-state areas of the US.
Oooh you're right, I've seen Guam.

Bulbasaur said:
Banjo said:
It appears you're right.

it still seems like that ought to render west virginia illegal, though. i mean, wasnt virginia actively fighting a war with the united states when west virginia was formed? i can hardly believe they'd agree to just give all that territory away
The territory seceded much like how Virginia did

virginia seceding was illegal, though. that was the whole point of the war

Bulbasaur said:
Banjo said:
It appears you're right.

it still seems like that ought to render west virginia illegal, though. i mean, wasnt virginia actively fighting a war with the united states when west virginia was formed? i can hardly believe they'd agree to just give all that territory away

Here's West Virginia in a nushell:

*Most of Virginia wanted to be in the Confederacy
*Some Western counties of Virginia opposed secession and didn't want to be in the Confederacy.
*Therefore, those counties were chopped off and recognized by Washington as a Union state in 1863.

I'm sure the CSA didn't recognize West Virginia, but apparently they changed their minds as of when they lost the war.

And now West Virginia is way more 'southern' than Virginia itself is.

How times have changed.

Bulbasaur said:
virginia seceding was illegal, though. that was the whole point of the war
Actually what I believe happened was that there was a vote and west Virginia voted not to secede so that part of Virginia became part of the union while the rest of Virginia became part of the confederacy

Fi said:
Okay, the star thing isn't really my main concern.

It'll just be....weird. Hawaii was the last state to become a state in over 60 years. It will be so weird to say that America as 51 states, and how everyone will just adjust to it. It'll make the next election more interesting.

INTERESTING LOL

Politoed said:
Also, there is concern that politics will get involved with this--Puerto Rico is heavily liberal, and is, well, quite clearly a 'minority' population. This would give more seats and stuff to Democrats, most likely, so Republicans may make an effort to block their statehood. On the other hand, doing so would be a really huge dick move and everyone would hate them for it, so that might not happen!

Republicans? Being dicks? Why, I never!

Back