Do you consider Super Mario Bros. 2 USA a "real" Mario game?

Do you consider Super Mario Bros. 2 USA a real Mario game?

• Yes I do

Votes: 29 82.9%
  • No I don't

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • No opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ray Trace

Fastest at casing, fastest at carrying
Poll Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Ray Trace
There has been constant argument on both sides whether Super Mario Bros. 2 USA is a real Mario game or simply a Doki Doki Panic rip-off. I just want your opinion on this whether you believe that Super Mario Bros. 2 USA is a real Mario game or a fake Mario game that is a rip-off of Doki Doki Panic.

Edit: lol first poll I made

It really was a rip off of Doki Doki Panic but it did keep Americans interested in Mario Games until Super Mario Bros. 3 as Super Mario Bros:the lost levels wasn't released in the U.S.A. .So, I think it was a rip off off Doki Doki Panic,but neccesary.

So we should spend our time better playing "real" Mario games as opposed to fake ones?

In the view of Mario history, SMB2USA is an important factor to the later Mario history (characters,games,adaptions,popular culture). No matter it's good or bad, it is a process of Mario series.

Yes, I do.

I consider it a real Mario game. But I prefer the Doki Doki Panic version because YOU CAN SAVE...

Post-Damage Invincibility said:
So we should spend our time better playing "real" Mario games as opposed to fake ones?

That's not the question at all. I wasn't even making that argument.

Pokémon Trainer Toad85 said:
Of course it's a real Mario game. It was produced in a tangible cartridge form, wasn't it?

I know that, but some people claim that the "real" Super Mario Bros. 2 is Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels. Which is true, but Super Mario Bros. 2 USA is just as real Mario game as Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels.

Which is also why I put "real" in parentheses.

Vocal Beat said:
I pretty much consider any Mario game published by Nintendo to be a "real" Mario game.

What a paradox.

OT: No, I don't. Its Doki Doki Panic with a run button and reskinned. It doesn't matter if elements or enemies were immigrated into other Mario games, the game itself isn't a Mario game.

I consider it a mario game, but the only way it fits in with canon is if we treat it like a dream like Super Mario Land for the GB.

Its still pretty fun though

Even if it's so different, I consider it as a Mario game, many characters in this one are re-used.

Baby Luigi said:
No, you put real in quotation marks. Parentheses are the curved brackets.

On topic, SMB2USA was made by Nintendo and stars Mario characters. I don't really see why it's not a real Mario game.

Time Turner said:
Baby Luigi said:
No, you put real in quotation marks. Parentheses are the curved brackets.

Whatever, that's what I meant anyway

Back