Changes coming to Nintendo in 2013; Miyamoto stepping down

Rad Dudesman

King Bowser
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=495509

Satoru Iwata has big plans for Nintendo Company Limited in 2013. Iwata, who architectured the big restructure of 2002 where he dissolved the legendary Nintendo R&D1 and Nintendo R&D2 to strengthen Nintendo EAD and also create Nintendo SPD. Iwata has long admitted several deficits in the company he wanted to address, including expanding the network team of Nintendo, and initiating another huge rehaul of the software development division.

By December 2012, Iwata hopes to put place a new mysterious restructure of R&D which revolves around a new Kyoto R&D building hoping to exlusively house over 1200 developers. Previously, Nintendo has its R&D split between its main Central Building and its old Kyoto Research Institute Building. It is very unclear how the third R&D building will change the dynamic in Kyoto, but Iwata has mentioned wanting to support expansion as well as efficiency.

Additionally, Nintendo has continued to expand R&D operations in its Tokyo sector. Tokyo being the largest city of Japan by far, has created a window where several veteran developers from Square, SEGA, Koei, Epoch, and Konami can easily transition to join the EAD Tokyo development section.

But alongside all the expansion in Kyoto and Tokyo, comes the biggest news that Shigeru Miyamoto is expected to leave the EAD Division most likely by December 2012. Miyamoto has expressed concern that his presence is over shining all the new producers and directors creating content in the EAD Division (the largest of two gaming divisions at Nintendo). Miyamoto has vocalized his intent of stepping aside as General Manager of EAD to perhaps to create a third development sector where he would work with younger developers and focus on smaller resource, and faster to develop games.

2013 Expected Iwata Changes
+ Major shift in Kyoto development sources involving 3 R&D buildings
+ Shigeru Miyamoto stepping down as EAD General Manager
+ Takash Tezuka becoming new EAD General Manager
+ New Groups / New Producers announced for EAD Kyoto / SPD Kyoto
+ EAD Tokyo Expansion / Masahiro Sakurai Possibly Joining EAD Tokyo
+ New Division lead by Miyamoto with younger staff focused on smaller scale games
+ Miyamoto's Departure Inspiring New IPs for the EAD Kyoto Division

Source: Guardian UK. Nikkei. Wired.

Okay. As long as they make good games, the companies choices aren't my problem.

2013 Expected Iwata Changes
You don't know weither this is true. Miamoto said he make a new IP so I think it might take a while before he retires.

I remember reading that there will only be one NSMB game per console and its up to Miyamoto if he wants to make another. I get a strange feeling this new guy will be spamming us with NSMB2-like games.

Goron said:
I remember reading that there will only be one NSMB game per console and its up to Miyamoto if he wants to make another. I get a strange feeling this new guy will be spamming us with NSMB2-like games.

I wouldn't really care if he "spammed" the New Super Mario Bros. games as long as they are good, creative, and innovative

If it was up to me i'd spam mario kart games bitches love Mario Kart

Goron said:
Well, NSMBU actually LOOKS GOOD, so we'll see, I guess.

Back