• 9th

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • 10th

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • 11th

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters
ernesth100 said:
I haven't watched this show in decades. Anything cool been going on with Capaldi's doctor lately?
possibly the coolest season with the coolest episode in doctor who history

wanna know what i mean? watch heaven sent, literally mind blowing and awesome

this season has been the best, i'm not even gonna dance around the subject

hope the moff has something fantastic planned for season 10

General Neptune said:
ernesth100 said:
I haven't watched this show in decades. Anything cool been going on with Capaldi's doctor lately?
possibly the coolest season with the coolest episode in doctor who history

wanna know what i mean? watch heaven sent, literally mind blowing and awesome

this season has been the best, i'm not even gonna dance around the subject

hope the moff has something fantastic planned for season 10
Damn forgot this existed again. This, MLP, Anime. I got a list of stuff to watch.

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/01/peter-capaldi-to-leave-doctor-who30012016220415.html

Peter Capaldi is stepping down as the Doctor at the end of this series

I really wish this wasn't the case, since it feels like we've barely had him, and he's one of my favourite Incarnations

The next guy has some big shoes to fill

serious question: why do they always basically confirm when characters are joining/leaving before the episode of even the series begins airing, instead of just letting people be shocked at the outcome?

Magnolia Arch said:
my guess is to create hype and speculation over who will take the role
Basically, yeah. Peter Capaldi getting revealed as the last doctor was a big TV event over here when it happened.

I was reading earlier than Ben Whishaw was apparently the favourite to get the role. And whilst I'd like The Doctor to be played by an openly gay man, I'd prefer Whishaw to remain as Q in the Bond series. Personally I'm hoping for the first black or female doctor as it's been confirmed that regeneration can change skin tone / gender.

That being said though, I would love the idea of Stephen Fry being The Doctor.

oh god no

stephen fry would be insufferable

i would rather have ben whishaw as the doctor

he has such a massive range it's not even funny

Thoughts time.

Holy shit that was good

I was a bit worried at the start, because although I know it's important to set Bill up as a character, but the pace was moving a little too slow for me, but when it properly started up, I was gripped from start to finish. And it freaked me a couple of times, which is pretty good going, and judging by the trailers, I am so psyched for this series.

Wait, a thread involving the announcement of Jodie Whittaker as the Doctor that hasn't devolved into misogynistic rants? Unthinkable!

Im fine unless this turns out to be another ghostbusters (which in pretty sure it won't)

Then again the problem there wasn't even the female cast, it was more like the general writing that came along with it from what I've gathered.

Bumping this because I'm a fan of Doctor Who, and would like to know what everyone thinks of 13. I think she'll be good as long as the writing is good.

Bumping this topic because last sunday's episode was probably the best episode of Chib's career, for one glaring fact:

CAPTAIN FUCKING JACK FUCKING HARKNESS IS BACK LADS OH YEA OH YEA

This season is a massive step up from last season. The only episode that has been absolute shit so far is Orphan 55, purely because of its overzealous hit-you-over-the-head political message

Spyfall was amazing, probably the best two parter since Under the Lake/Before the Flood.

Sacha Dhawan as the Master is one of my favourite casting choices on this show. While he was O, I felt like he had some pretty back acting, but right at the moment he was revealed, fuck me what a glow up. Seriously - was that the plan all along? Have us think that O was just another generic character that we'd never see again, and then slap us over the head with his majestic Master? Pure brilliance.

The twists this season have been fabulous. If the episodes remain on point, this might be the best season overall since Season 9. Spyfall, Nikola Tesla, and Fugitive have all been brilliant, only Orphan 55 so far has been naff. But every season has got at least one naff episode, right?

I still believe that season 11 was pretty bad, and while 6/10 episodes were good, I didn't have that same hype that I had for each new episodes of previous seasons.
That got completely flipped on its head for season 12. After seeing the two-part premiere in theaters (which really helped with my hype), I got excited for episode 3. And even though episode 3 wasn't that great, I was still excited; as the next episode was called "Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror", I realized that I knew barely anything about Tesla other than his name, so I really liked the episode in both story and its historical aspect.

Episode 5 was the biggie. I figured it would be another "filler" episode bringing back a fan favorite Who species. BOY WAS I WRONG.

About halfway through, after Jack had been brought back (hilarious how he thought Graham was the Doctor), I realized that as of episode 5, I was already halfway through the season as a whole. I figured that was why they brought back Jack and mentioned the Master and Gallifrey's destruction at the beginning. Then the big revelation happened and Ruth was revealed to be the Doctor (which I am going to elaborate my thoughts on later). Y'know, those big halfway point revelations in TV shows come a lot quicker when there's only 10 episodes.

Anyway, I'm staking my belief in that Chibnall went the safe route when deciding Ruth would be the Doctor (AKA not make her pre-Hartnell). Let's think about the clues they've dropped. She has a skinny TARDIS like in Classic Who. Its interior is like a modified version of the Classic Who interior. She said she has a job, but that's it's not one you can apply for nor one that you could ever leave. Sounds a bit like what the Time Lords had the 2nd Doctor doing as their own "Time Agent". There's been plenty of theories about there being a big gap between the 2nd Doctor's last season and the 3rd's first episode, I think they're gonna go that route. The Gallifreyans then wiped the Doc's memory of being a Time Agent and added another regeneration to the Doc's cycle to make sure he never had any suspicions.

Start with Season 1 (Christopher Eccleston). His is the start of NuWho as we call it, which was the series revival. It explains a lot of things you need to know in order to fully understand most of the things happening in the entire series. It's a long road but very worth it.

Bit of a bump and sorry for double post, but I came to a really odd realisation last night.

I've tried my best to keep this as spoiler free as possible, but there are certain cues that might give things away, so read at your own risk!

I realise the series has one episode left, but unless it turns out to be utter horseshit (and I mean so bad it goes down in history as THE WORST episode of Doctor who ever), this probably won't change

But this has honestly, to me, been the best series of Doctor Who since series 9. And if you know me, you'll know Series 9 was, in my opinion, the best series of Doctor Who to date, at least by NuWho standards. Considering I absolutely loathed Series 11, to the point where I'd say it was the worst Series of Doctor Who so far, this series has surprised me so much, and it's been so brilliant with (most of) its stories, I've honestly taken to ranking it as my personal second best series so far

The only episodes so far that have actually been naff were Orphan 55 and Can You Hear Me?, which just didn't hit the mark. Orphan 55 was just another virtue signalling episode which would equate to preaching to the choir, and Can You Hear Me was a good concept which unfortunately was carried out poorly. Would have worked well as a two parter imo.

Looking back at the positives of the series, Spyfall was a fantastic, well written, shocking and entertaining thrill ride, with a twist that I think most people can safely say didn't see coming.

Nikola Tesla's Night Of Terror was brilliantly touching, with a great villain, engaging side characters, and a satisfying end, not to mention its historic message (I already knew all about Tesla, but many people might not know about him)

Fugitive of the Judoon, holy fuck what an insane episode. Bringing back the Judoon was reward enough, but the two biggest twists? The first twist was literally cocaine. I just fucking lost it, so amazing that they did that and kept it a secret! Second twist was also very good, I could see it coming from a mile away but still hits you hard, and also leaves you wondering what the heck is going on.

Praxeus was just a classic, racey episode. It actually did the environmental message quite well, as in it drew attention to the issue, but didn't make it the focus, which was just gravy. The side characters were also great - I really hope we get to meet the cop dude again sometime.

The Haunting Of Villa Diodati was...just amazing. The curiosity about what was going on, the historical lesson, and the shock twist were executed amazingly, and it honestly reminded me of Russell T Davies era Who. Again, side characters were fabulous. Lord Byron constantly flirting with the Doctor was hilarious.

Ascension Of The Cybermen also reminded me of old NuWho, specifically Moffat Era (Probably Capaldi's later run). The threat was real, and I honestly worried about certain characters fates throughout the episode. The Cybermen have returned, and they're scarier than ever. The subplot in this episode left me with more questions than answers (which I absolutely love by the way) and hopefully will be answered in the next episode. The twist at the end was expected, but equally satisfying.

Can't wait for the finale next week. I can tell it's going to be another banger.

But yeah, overall it's been a fantastic ride. From possibly the worst series of Doctor Who to the second best series, Chibs has had a massive glow-up. I only hope he carries on from there, and just keeps on improving.

This thread's long dead and this news is already nearly two weeks old (so IDK why I'm really bothering to post it here) but both Chibnall and Jodie are leaving Doctor Who next year.

I gotta say I feel mixed on this news. On the one hand, I'm actually glad Chibnall is leaving as showrunner because he managed to turn Doctor Who from a show where I'd actively keep up with the show as it was airing and watching the new episodes when they premiered to one where I'd just rent the most recent series on DVD from my local library and just watch it some months after it aired, but I'm sad that Jodie is leaving since I'd both like to see her Doctor under a better showrunner and it just feels like she's barely even been the Doctor? The shorter series and the gaps between them doesn't help either tbh.

Next showrunner bring back historicals goddammit.

This thread's long dead and this news is already nearly two weeks old (so IDK why I'm really bothering to post it here) but both Chibnall and Jodie are leaving Doctor Who next year.

I gotta say I feel mixed on this news. On the one hand, I'm actually glad Chibnall is leaving as showrunner because he managed to turn Doctor Who from a show where I'd actively keep up with the show as it was airing and watching the new episodes when they premiered to one where I'd just rent the most recent series on DVD from my local library and just watch it some months after it aired, but I'm sad that Jodie is leaving since I'd both like to see her Doctor under a better showrunner and it just feels like she's barely even been the Doctor? The shorter series and the gaps between them doesn't help either tbh.

Next showrunner bring back historicals goddammit.
Yeah, I'm honestly glad this is happening. For a show about someone who murdered their entire race, recent seasons have felt weirdly happy.

Back