Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9th

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • 10th

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • 11th

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters
Gatiss' latest Doctor Who offering will be, we're told, "unlike any previous episode" - and will feature a guest appearance from his League of Gentlemen cohort Reece Shearsmith.

thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

It'll be quite hard to do that, as because of the BBC's junking policy from the '60s quite a few episodes from the First Doctor to the Second Doctor are unavailable.

If you try typing in episode names "The Unearthly Child", "The Daleks", etc. you should probably be able to find something. If not, I imagine a few DVD shops (like HMV, if you have that over there) would sell them, it'd just be hard to get them in chronological order.

So first episode was last night.

I loved the twist in the opening sequence, I genuinely never expected that.

Also, I have to wonder whether Davros' messenger will continue to appear, because in all honesty he looks like an interesting antagonist.

Previous spoilers meant I knew Missy was going to be back, but in all honesty it wouldn't have surprised me. Glad to see that Michelle Gomez still portrays her perfectly. That brilliant blend of crazy and sinister.

I thought it was cool that they were taken to Skaro, though part of me thought it was Gallifrey. Also nice to see old-timey Daleks.

The two-parter premiere was cool. And unlike last year, I won't have to work the night shift every Saturday, so I'll be able to watch this season, instead of just catching an episode here and there on re-airings (case in point: I only saw the two-parter finale to last season in its entirety for the first time last week, having had to read a summary of Part 1 and only catching bits and pieces of part 2 last year).

Missy's awesome: crazy and fun and sinister. Definitely looking forward to when she turns up next. Daleks are always a good time too, and Clara being in the Dalek reminded me of her original Oswin appearance. But while sunglasses are cool and all, I miss the screwdriver...

Won't be watching the next episode live, gonna catch that on the iPlayer. Oh well, least it means no nightmares for Saturday night as it does like quite spooky :P

I'll admit it, I fell for Davros being nice, and in all honesty I found those scenes between The Doctor and him to be quite heart-warming, even if both were playing a game. Oh well, least it means that Davros will probably show up in the future, I was worried that this would be his final appearance.

And per Walky on the sunglasses, much preferred the screwdriver.

I mean it was nice to have Capaldi do a guitar cover of the theme song but where's the version with Sylvester McCoy playing the spoons :mad:

I liked this two-parter.

Usually Doctor Who is all about the "history can be rewritten" wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff, so it was nice to get an eloquent "the changes in the past were always part of the past" closed causal loop. I also liked how the Fisher King towered over the Doctor and backed him right up against the thing for his speech - made him nice and threatening.

I think the villain looked kind of goofy. He had this "guy in suit" look I'm used to seeing in the classic series with things like the Zarbi, as opposed to, say, the Slitheen or the werewolf from Tooth and Claw. Also his mouth looked kind of freudian if you know what I mean.

I enjoyed this two-parter as well. Though that paradox that the Doctor mentioned is still puzzling me :P One other thing that puzzles me is O'Donnell, she died in the past like the undertaker did, so she was always dead, so wasn't she a ghost in the first part?

Not for the first time, and probably not for the last.

You are now imagining Osgood in the Sixth Doctor's coat.

δ³Σx² is pronounced "Basil". Peri can't pronounce that, but River can. Next year we'll all be watching Doctor Basil Foreman.

This feels like a bad time to mention it because it was really well done in this episode, but I honestly miss the days when companions just left when they'd had enough, as opposed to clinging to the Doctor until some tragedy forces them apart.

Also calling it now this is totally leading up to the Valeyard's origin story. It was explicitly said all those years ago that he came from somewhere between the twelfth and thirteenth incarnations, and the best time for him to begin is when the Doctor's struggling to stick to his morals like this.

did clara actually just die

i mean i knew she was going to but is she going to some back like the god knows how many other times

Next episode's trailer shows the Time Lords forcing the Doctor to regenerate. My Valeyard theory still stands.
I was wrong, and the Valeyard remains an elephant in the room that has to be addressed sooner or later.

Also, Clara and Ashildr... if you see Jenny out there, tell her I said hi.

It was cool to see the retro Tardis bridge. That lady's totes The Doctor's mum. I was happy with Clara dying, but I guess I'm fine with her running around with Me instead - until she gets bored of being alive or something and goes back to get speared by the crow. (If they met up with Jenny, that would indeed be as awesome as it is unlikely.) The Doctor only remembering Clara by the hole around her was more interesting than frying Donna's brain and being all sad about it until her grandfather got him killed had been, at least - although I kinda wonder why it was even necessary? You'd think remembering about her would be just as bad, and if she could run around for as long as she wants to before returning without aging or worrying about dying in the meantime anyway, then as long as they'd get around to it eventually, why shouldn't she just run with the Doctor? All the "time falls apart" plots inherently bug me as being contrived and illogical, tho, so w/e. Anyway, glad he finally got a screwdriver back, and really excited to see River again in the Xmas special.

The Doctor not bowing to someone because of his back: Marco Polo
A villain named Scratch: The could-have-been '70s movie "Doctor Who Meets Scratchman"
The Doctor bribing an architect so that he can benefit from the deal centuries later: The Curse of Fatal Death

Overall, I thought this was a good series. For me the only weak episodes were The Girl Who Died and Sleep No More. I loved the character of Me, especially how she was in The Woman Who Lived, which imo was one of the stronger episodes this series. Was nice to see Davros back in the opening episodes. I think I would have preferred some more standalone episodes, especially since the only one was weak as aforementioned. I liked how throughout the series how despite their not being action scenes all of the time, most episodes never felt boring, with Heaven Sent being the prime example. I had mixed feelings on the Christmas special, sometimes it felt like it was trying to be all comedic again, but it was still entertaining nonetheless.

ernesth100 said:
I haven't watched this show in decades. Anything cool been going on with Capaldi's doctor lately?

i bet he's been timetravelling using a phone booth and fighting daleks

horses tbh said:
ernesth100 said:
I haven't watched this show in decades. Anything cool been going on with Capaldi's doctor lately?

i bet he's been timetravelling using a phone booth and fighting daleks
Lol. I shoudl've been more specific. I'm gonna get back into this series soon.

This season was mostly 2-parters, with a couple cool guest/recurring characters, and while some episodes were better than others, overall, I think it was better than last season, and Capaldi's probably my favourite Doctor after David Tennant at this point.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-01-22/doctor-who-showrunner-steven-moffat-quits-to-be-replaced-by-broadchurch-creator-chris-chibnall

Steven Moffat is stepping down and he will be replaced by Boradchurch creator Chris Chibnell, and because of all the big things Olympics and whatnot happening this year, we're only getting a Christmas special this year as the BBC want Moffat's final series to be an event that's not overshadowed, so our next full series will be in Spring 2017.

I'd heard talk of Moffat leaving before, but not this "let's delay it a year because of sports" nonsense. The Olympics don't last the whole year - odds are, there's behind-the-scenes timing/production issues (maybe the crew are needed for Olympics-related BBC specials or something, idk), and all the positive sendoff stuff's just BS, but imo, there's gonna be angry fans either way, so they should at least be honest.

Not that I really care about waiting an extra year for new episodes, nor do I care that Moffat's leaving and have no opinion on the new guy - I just hope Capaldi will stay on, unlike last time.

Capaldi better stay on, he's probably my favourite Doctor since the 2005 revival of the series.

Back