Torrenting [SPLIT THREAD]

Re: Torrenting

NotABannableOffense said:
Neptune, its just a TV show.

TORRENTING IS BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD.

Yes that's why it's called trash in the topic title.

I'm agreeing with the people who said it's shit, trash, devil's play, and anything else you and others said.

can you explain why

It's illegal and it takes money from other people.

That's really all I have to say on the subject.

youve got to be kidding me >_>

doing illegal things is worth feeling bad about? you really believe that??

as for the other part... i might tolerate the notion of feeling bad for taking money if i thought it was seriously possible that it was going to people who actually need it, but i don't!

Makoto Naegi said:

as for the other part... i might tolerate the notion of feeling bad for taking money if i thought it was seriously possible that it was going to people who actually need it, but i don't!
Yeah. doing illegal things is okay and dandy!

The Dark Knight said:
Makoto Naegi said:

Yeah. doing illegal things is okay and dandy!
as long as you dont get caught
tumblr_m9ljriQ5DO1ronur7o1_250.png

but seriously some illegal things arent that good things such as murder and what-not, but some are just silly such as torrents.

of course i worded it properly

things we should feel bad about become illegal sometimes, but that doesnt mean things that are illegal are always things we should feel bad about. thats ridiculous

Makoto Naegi said:
of course i worded it properly

things we should feel bad about become illegal sometimes, but that doesnt mean things that are illegal are always things we should feel bad about. thats ridiculous
I think I get it.

So for example, let's say I littered. I feel bad because I'm harming the environment, not because it's illegal.

A lot of people don't give a shit about the environment. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

It's bad because stealing money should be against your own moral code
Makoto Naegi said:
You've got to be kidding me. >_>

Doing illegal things is worth feeling bad about? Do you really believe that??

As for the other part, I might tolerate the notion of feeling bad for taking money if I thought it was seriously possible that it was going to people who actually need it, but I don't!

1. [quote author=Rule 4]Use proper grammar, spelling, capitalization, and punctuation when posting. The only exception is if English is not your first language, in which case this rule will be more lenient.[/quote]
2. I am not kidding you
3. I really believe that, the most illegal thing I've done is drive a golf cart on Bald Head Island
4. True, while they may not need money, there are many rich people, such as Bill Gates, who donate large portions of their wealth to charity.
5. You need to get a persona moral code, and a grammar handbook.

5. You need to get a persona moral code
First of all, "should be"? The definition of 'morally wrong' is completely subjective. Second of all, you talk as if one's "moral code" is a written document. It's not. "Moral code" is just the extent of what you're capable of doing before your conscious kicks in and questions what you're doing.

Petty theft ranks extremely low on most people's sin-ometers. Now, if you're talking about stealing money that could put one or several people's lives and well being at risk of falling into bankruptcy, then that's a problem that needs taking care of.

But when was the last time you heard of someone losing their retirement fund or home over a torrented copy of Everybody Loves Raymond's first season?

Legal =/= Moral, which is where I think you're taking this.

Also, for the sake of my sanity, please do not mini-mod. It's bloody annoying and I'm pretty sure the only reason you waved Rule #4 (aka, the least-enforced rule on the forum) under his face is because you were getting pissy over his views. 2257's post was completely legible, the grammar shot was just a cheap rebuttal tactic.

to stay on-topic: I honestly didn't even think Jersey Shore was still on the air anymore. Figured people would at least be over how awful it was by now. But hey, if it's just now getting canceled...yeeaaahhh, I can't even pretend to care.

Stooben said:
5. You need to get a persona moral code
First of all, "should be"? The definition of 'morally wrong' is completely subjective. Second of all, you talk as if one's "moral code" is a written document. It's not. "Moral code" is just the extent of what you're capable of doing before your conscious kicks in and questions what you're doing.

Petty theft ranks extremely low on most people's sin-ometers. Now, if you're talking about stealing money that could put one or several people's lives and well being at risk of falling into bankruptcy, then that's a problem that needs taking care of.

But when was the last time you heard of someone losing their retirement fund or home over a torrented copy of Everybody Loves Raymond's first season?

Legal =/= Moral, which is where I think you're taking this.

Also, for the sake of my sanity, please do not mini-mod. It's bloody annoying and I'm pretty sure the only reason you waved Rule #4 (aka, the least-enforced rule on the forum) under his face is because you were getting pissy over his views. 2257's post was completely legible, the grammar shot was just a cheap rebuttal tactic.

to stay on-topic: I honestly didn't even think Jersey Shore was still on the air anymore. Figured people would at least be over how awful it was by now. But hey, if it's just now getting canceled...yeeaaahhh, I can't even pretend to care.
Yes, Makoto should consider stealing wrong. I've tried to get myself to torrent before, I couldn't. I physically could not bring myself to do it. If Makoto considers stealing wrong, but torrents, he lives in a big double standard, if he doesn't consider stealing wrong, he needs to do a reality check.

In all honesty, Makoto's lack of proper grammar gets on my nerves.

My point is stealing is wrong and that is what this comes down to, I don't care if you are stealing from me, from big corporations, from Porple, from the Government or from a baby, its w-r-o-n-g. That's the bottom line.

Honestly, the people who make content only make content because it creates exorbitant amounts of moolah. If somebody creates something that you enjoy, support them by actually buying it.

I understand that you torrent because it is low risk, high gain and it doesn't cost you a thing, but it is still wrong when it comes down to it.

Also, explain "mini-mod".

omp you called me makoto... nobody's ever done that before

you didnt actually respond to my post though

Makoto Naegi said:
why should it
1. i don't really care. it's not relevant to the discussion at hand. more importantly, i am typing like this on purpose
2. that is ridiculous
3. that is ridiculous
4. if you run the numbers you'll find out that he has so much money that he's never actually going to feel any kind of serious repercussions for his 'generosity'. if bill gates donates 95% of his current wealth to charity, he'll still have US $3,050,000,000 left over. that is enough money that you could spend $100,000 a day and not run out for 84 years
5. i have a personal moral code, it just doesnt involve blind adherence to whatever the law says, because that's retarded. it also doesn't involve not stealing money from people who already have so much money that they don't need any more, because i really don't care how good earning your fifty-seven billionth dollar feels

1. Well, okay then.
2. No it isn't
3. No it isn't
4. So? It's still their potential money that you are taking.
5. Stealing is wrong, bottom line.

Would you rather be called by 4 seemingly random digits?

No comma, and improper use of capitalization.

2. I am not kidding you
3. I really believe that, the most illegal thing I've done is drive a golf cart on Bald Head Island
Your sentences lack punctuation, and point three should have a semicolon after "believe that," not a comma.

I've tried to get myself to torrent before, I couldn't.
Needs a semicolon or two different sentences. A comma doesn't cut it there.[/spoiler]

[quote author=Rule 5]Do not derail threads, i.e go off-topic for more than 3-4 posts. An example of going off-topic is debating Capitalism vs. Communism (believe it or not, a big problem here) in a topic about the new Presidential election. Additionally, posts that are completely irrelevant to a topic, (ex: posting "I like frogs" in a topic about 'The Rolling Stones') will be deleted; said poster will receive a warning.
This thread is about Jersey Shore being cancelled, not the morality of piracy. I'm splitting this thread.

Mason said:
This thread is about Jersey Shore being cancelled, not the morality of piracy. I'm splitting this thread.
whoa i didn't even know you guys could do that, it's cool

I'd be fine with downloading a ROM for something if I already own it, because I still sent money to the company and in effect paid for their game. It might be technically illegal, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

On the other hand if I didn't have the game then I would consider it wrong for me to download a ROM of it.

The way I see it, it's that somebody paid for the torrent to be able to get it up. It's like inviting people over to watch it; it belonged to someone else, they share it.

Never before has a thread that hasn't been started by me, ever started with my name.

I never asked for this thread. ;_;

Torrenting isn't stealing, nobody loses anything in the process. :waluigi: You can whine all you want about how people "lose potential profits" but besides that being a completely ridiculous idea, they're really not losing it anyway because there was absolutely no potential of me ever buying their product. :wario: Atleast, not until after I torrented it. ;) I know it's a specific case that doesn't really apply to stuff other than anime(due to most anime never airing on TV this side of the pacific in the first place) :-[ but it's worth bringing up that just about every anime DVD, bluray, or article of merchandise that I own is of a show that I originally pirated. :yoshi: And that's why I think torrenting is a-okay.
thumbup.gif

The thing is, if I emulate something, the only reason I do it is because it's not in stores any more. Sure it's on wii or 3DS but I don't have a 3DS or any wii points. I don't wanna give my credit card number to anyone and I'd rather not pay 20 dollars to an almost dead service. That's just me.

Back