The official Team Fortress thread

The main problem I have with the gameplay is how some classes are very useless and that grenade spam is the least fun thing to fight ever. TF2 was fun in my opinion even before it effectively became an MMO because it felt more balanced (even if Pyro was still mildly useless).

Phantom L said:
I have both but prefer tf2

Call me a lightweight if you want. I prefer tf2 because it unique because of its bright style, fun customisations, variety of weapons and interesting characters whi actually have persinalities and backstories.

I like tfc as well, but I just doesn't feel the same. The gameplay is good but I prefer tf2.

Interesting. I'd say I like both of them about the same; at this point, it's hard to choose a better one. Like I said, there was a point during summer when I thought TFC was better than TF2, but now, in my opinion, both games are good in their own right and both have positive things about them.

Groden said:
The main problem I have with the gameplay is how some classes are very useless and that grenade spam is the least fun thing to fight ever. TF2 was fun in my opinion even before it effectively became an MMO because it felt more balanced (even if Pyro was still mildly useless).

That's very true, actually. Not all classes in TFC are bad, though, but admittedly, a considerable few are.

TF2 was fun in my opinion even before it effectively became an MMO
lol

Groden said:

I was going to make the same point about balance as well. TF2 with stock weapons only is very well balanced even if the sticky launcher is overpowered

The fact that Valve was able to tweak the weapon stats during beta and after release really helped to balance the classes, whereas as far as I know, TFC didn't have much changed in terms of weapon stats since release. Demoman was OP as shit during the TF2 beta

Groden said:
probably because you could barely run tf2 on an actual game mode map

Not really that, but moreso the fact that I became attached and addicted to it, and had a lot of fun with it. That probably played a small part, though, but I still love TFC and find it nostalgic.

Also, speaking of grenades, one thing I actually dislike about TFC is that people will throw a grenade right before they get killed, which can be avoided sometimes, but most of the time you don't have a chance to react before you die. I don't wholly hate grenades (because they can be useful in some cases, e.g. taking down sentries) but they have their downsides.

MCS said:
Not really that, but moreso the fact that I became attached and addicted to it, and had a lot of fun with it. That probably played a small part, though, but I still love TFC and find it nostalgic.
"Playing at the speed of a crippled, retarded snail" is a small downside? I also highly doubt you were around in the glory days of TFC to have it feel "nostalgic" today.

MCS said:
Also, speaking of grenades, one thing I actually dislike about TFC is that people will throw a grenade right before they get killed, which can be avoided sometimes, but most of the time you don't have a chance to react before you die. I don't wholly hate grenades (because they can be useful in some cases, e.g. taking down sentries) but they have their downsides.
Martyring grenades was just a tip of the iceberg. Focused grenade spam was nearly impossible to bypass without some bullshit by your own team.

Groden said:
"Playing at the speed of a crippled, retarded snail" is a small downside? I also highly doubt you were around in the glory days of TFC to have it feel "nostalgic" today.

No, I mean the fact that I couldn't play TF2 didn't really affect my thought of thinking TFC was better than TF2.

And obviously I wasn't, but it just has that kind of nostalgic feel to it, even if I wasn't around when it first came out. It's like the feeling I get when I play old Sonic and Mario games.

you keep using that word

i do not think it means what you think it means

First Xephfrag serious games in a long, long time. Wasn't even 4v4 at any point, but 3v3 was still surprisingly alright for the maps we used. I partially just wanted to see how 4v4 games would work on Process and Standin for the second Awards game. Brutally fast, but still fun, in my opinion.

If we get a chance to do this again, I want to try a shorter-timed Gorge and allow Heavy, but with a couple of weapons banned so he isn't completely unstoppable.

Crocodile Dippy said:
no, I was listening to music

you, turb, and anyone else who doesn't listen to mic is a terrible teammate and should feel terrible

I took Gorge and made the setup time and time bonus for capturing the first point shorter, so it's a bit more ideal for 4v4 games. I also decided to turn it into a deserty map so its a bit more distinctive from the actual map.

FEJxOCs.jpg

jnSA5Pe.jpg

nIsKYAn.jpg

You have 30 seconds to set up, so unless you're playing a mobile class, it's hard to reach the front of BLU spawn when the gates open. In return, the time you gain when you capture the first point is shortened, so it's not a huge strain on defense. Lack of long setup time also makes Engineer and Medic not dominant.

The little river in the gorge is mostly for jumpers as a nullification for fall damage, but I might remove it if we ever get to test it and its a problem. I was considering making the garage door in between BLU's spawn and the first point slowly open after setup to give another offensive route, but I don't think it's necessary; the last thing small games need is more flank routes.

Christian Brutal Sniper said:
you, turb, and anyone else who doesn't listen to mic is a terrible teammate and should feel terrible
I'll communicate next time, I just wanted to relax a bit after work that night.

Crocodile Dippy said:
Christian Brutal Sniper said:
I'll communicate next time, I just wanted to relax a bit after work that night.
We were joking, the match wasn't serious anyway

Making a pro ass block fort map that'll be all over xephfrag

Build 0:
blockfort0.png
*Blocks and bridges made to get length estimates, it's pretty much the exact same map as MK64

download - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?20q8kaa5ai0kb61

Build 1:
1024x576.resizedimage
* Outer walls temporarily removed
* Skybox and appropriate light
* Retextured and remodeled red and blue forts
* Proper spawns in first floors of said forts
* Shitty doors
* Road and sidewalk
* Big health and ammo packs on lower floors, small health and ammo packs on top floors

download - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?kh4ido6bslpezzx

The skybox there needs to be downloaded separately: http://css.gamebanana.com/textures/345

Do what it says but use Steam\SteamApps\Account_Name\team fortress 2\tf\materials\skybox instead

So with the Robo-Crates going around, I assume something involving MvM is coming up. Perhaps within just a few short days considering the SteamPipe update is coming, as well.

Back