The Ultimate Villain

Specific Neptune

how're you doin'
Pronouns
Any
I'm trying to suss out what makes an awesome villain. I already have a few ideas, but I want to know what you guys think makes an awesome villain.

My ideas:

1: Someone who takes over the massive organisation/main kingdom, such as Bane, Voldemort, Rumplestiltskin (from Shrek), Future Layton (from Professor Layton and the Lost Future) and I guess me, from the Control the Throne topic
2: Someone with a badass army, like Sauron, Voldemort, Bane
3: the "big guy", like Sauron (in his humanoid form, not that eye he turns into), Slenderman, etc

What do you lads and ladettes think?

I like villains that always appear in control of the situation, even if they suffered a staggering blow recently.

I also prefer the villain to not be a victim of something beyond his control, and for him or her to be truly evil in every sense of the word.

Artemis Fowl, and any other villain in Artemis Fowl.
Except Cudgeon, he was boring as hell.

The Dark Knight said:
They need to be manipulative like Palpatine.
Palpatine singlehandedly killed all his enemies, masterminded both ends of a galactic war, rose to power in the main government, established a dictatorial system, and got the people to love him for it.

That's skill right there.

(oh and he killed two jedi masters in like three seconds but i just find that overpowered and lame, i mean really?)

Read up on the Black Mage from Maplestory, he literally has hundreds of commanders/officers and he isn't even a boss in the game yet.

I like villains that feel like actual people. This goes for pretty much all the major characters in a story; good, bad, neutral, etc. but I generally find a villain more threatening if they behave like a normal person would, just... they happen to be incredibly smart, calculated, and doing evil things.

ridiculously evil villains and incompetent villains are both just dumb and boring to me

Monobear said:
I like villains that always appear in control of the situation, even if they suffered a staggering blow recently.

I also prefer the villain to not be a victim of something beyond his control, and for him or her to be truly evil in every sense of the word.

Prospero in The Tempest is the exception for me here.

Chihiro Fujisaki said:
I like villains that feel like actual people. This goes for pretty much all the major characters in a story; good, bad, neutral, etc. but I generally find a villain more threatening if they behave like a normal person would, just... they happen to be incredibly smart, calculated, and doing evil things.

ridiculously evil villains and incompetent villains are both just dumb and boring to me

I agree with this.

Blocky tried to call me out on disliking ridiculously evil villains yet liking Monobear, so I'll clarify that Monobear is Joker-styled psychotic rather than generic TAKE OVER THE WORLD evil. And that's generally more interesting.

People like Palpatine,Grievous,Fawful,Black Doom. They are just awesome. Even when beaten they make good comebacks.

DESHI DESHI BUSARA BUSARA DESHI DESHI BUSARA BUSARA DESHI DESHI DESHI BUSARA BUSARA

I think Bane is the most ultimate villian ever since TDKR came out even beating my favourite VOLDEMORT!,a great villian for me has to full fill someones destiny

Voldemort wanted to get rid of all muggle borns just like Salazar Slytherin
Bane wanted to destroy Gotham just like Ra's al Ghul

Don't let a lame cosplay ruin Sauron for you.

Remember him as he was, which is to say a 9 foot plus guy in super spiky armor that knocks back like five soldiers every time he swings his mace. Who endured for thousands of years after his apparent death thanks to a super powerful Ring. Who commands an army of countless orcs, trolls, mercenaries, and undead wraiths, mounted on wyverns, whose shrieks strike terror into the hearts of nearly any foe. Who very nearly conquered Middle-earth... twice.

Sauron.jpg

Yeah this guy's awesome alright. Up there with Palpatine.

The Ultimate Villain should be someone who's willing to sacrafice their own life just to accomplish their own goal. Although that might be more along the lines of "insane villain".

Don't worry about that woman in cosplay. I still think Sauron is the most badass villain ever. Mix him up with loads of other epic villains, and we have the ultimate villain.

Back