Metroid Prime

Dr. Javelin

Nathan Latsk
I doubt there's a thread for this already so I'm making one.

This game is incredible. The action and graphics and world are just good all-around, and the power-ups are sweet. Anyone else played this game?

Anyways,
I just broke into a Space Pirate base in Phendranna Drifts. This is where the plot thickens, I guess - they're talking about how they have mutated Metroids in storage or something. Just got the Super Missile and am on my way to the heart of their research station.

YES I LOVE THIS GAME

i find the idea that we don't already have a topic for it alarming, though

It's a pretty good game, though I do think it's a bit overrated.

I'm currently at my second visit to Chozo Ruins. I just received the wavebuster at the Tower of Light.

probably my favourite Nintendo game, if not just because the world is beautiful and thus the exploration is top-notch. I've yet to play Echoes, but I've heard the world in that is very bland and stale, so that ruins a big part of why I enjoyed the first title so much.

also, Slowbeef and Diabetus have a great Let's Play for this. Lookie lookie

Chihiro Fujisaki said:
I've yet to play Echoes, but I've heard the world in that is very bland and stale

If you mean the overworld, then yes, it is bland compared to Chozo Ruins/Tallon Overworld. However, the final area of Echoes blows Phazon Mines out of the water. I'd argue that Torvus Bog is better than Phendrana + Magmoor, but that's because I'm biased and I prefer jungle areas.

Torvus is slightly better in terms of stylistic nuances, but I'd have to say that Phendrana/Magmoor really crushes it in terms of actually being fun to explore and play in. Agon/Temple Grounds is nothing compared to Chozo Ruins/Tallon Overworld, and Sanctuary is top-notch. The dark world is pretty same-y as well.

Anyway, Prime is one of my favorite games ever, mostly because I love to lose myself in a giant planet where everything will kill you as soon as look at you. I also enjoy the way the story unfolds with all the lore and stuff, found the boss encounters to be quite memorable, the enemy design to be great, and I was totally involved every step of the way. In fact, I enjoyed the experience so much that I'm willing to go around looking for games that recreate that same feeling just so I can have more.

found the boss encounters to be quite memorable,

I replayed the game recently and the boss battles are the one thing I outright hated about it. They combine every shitty tricks to lenghten the battles; being only vulnerable after a very specific point in their movement pattern, doing a time-wasting animation and becoming temporarily invulnerable after they get damaged a certain amount, being total damage sponges even without the others articifical ways to lenghten the battles, etc. The absolute nadir has to be the
2nd Metroid Prime form

,who literally only has one attack and a stupidly small time window for when you can damage it.

Otherwise, a great game for the reasons everyone else stated already (fuck the keys, though). I never played Echoes but I picked up 3, which I hated.

I've got all three games. Beaten and loved both Prime 1 and Prime 2, haven't beaten Prime 3 due to being stuck on Bryyo and I definitely don't like it as much as the others in part due to the new control scheme.

Honestly I'm one of the people who prefers Echoes (in part because of the much-improved logbook as well as liking the dark world concept), but Prime is an excellent game regardless.

i got stuck on metroid prime form 2 and i stil havent beaten the game to this day

I love this trilogy, Prime most of all, though I think control sucks on the GameCube. Corruption has its flaws in that department, but I think the point-and-shoot mechanic it used (and which was later incorporated into the first two games) made all three a lot more fun to play.

Byakuya Togami said:
I love this trilogy, Prime most of all, though I think control sucks on the GameCube. Corruption has its flaws in that department, but I think the point-and-shoot mechanic it used (and which was later incorporated into the first two games) made all three a lot more fun to play.
Yeah, they actually made it kinda hard to hit some enemies despite the fact that you can lock-on.

Or at least with the Ice Beam, since it moves so slowly.

I just got the Gravity Suit. Say goodbye to your annoyingness, underwater areas. : D

I remember going into the Crashed Frigate without the Gravity Suit on my first playthrough.

I hated life.

I actually did that too.

You know that feeling when you missed a jump and fall allllllllllll the way back down to the bottom?

Yeah.
Threek said:
but the music was so beautiful i didn't care
true dat

Prime has the best soundtrack of the three, imo.

Jack Noir said:
I actually did that too.

You know that feeling when you missed a jump and fall allllllllllll the way back down to the bottom?

Yeah.

It's worse if it happens in the final area of the game. Just saying.

I currently don't have this game in my possession, though I am definitely planning to purchase it sometime. The only information about the game I currently possess is from a 23% Let's Play of the game and a speedrun of it.

Byakuya Togami said:
It's worse if it happens in the final area of the game. Just saying.
Phazon Mines?

Oh oh oh, you mean the Impact Crater. With all those infinitely spawning Fission Metroids.

Yeah I just decided to use my Power Bombs on them, since I didn't think I'd need them in the final boss fight and it's a OHKO.

Also I lost against Metroid Prime on my first try. Phooey.

meta ridley was a fun boss

except for his stupid lunge attack

Back