Jimquisition: Old Man Mario

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
Jim Sterling talks about Mario and how he's getting on in years, and is being out-staged by games that basically used to do what he did...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6147-Old-Man-Mario

I have to admit, this is where I disagree with MovieBob (another guy I follow who's really a big Mario dork) the most. As much as I like Mario, I'm not about to throw my money away just for another batch of relatively bland and uninspired levels and a handful of often completely pointless power-ups. I MIGHT be inclined to buy it with the inclusion of certain underrated characters like the Koopalings, thought, but I'm kind of a sucker for the Koopalings anyway (call me hypocritical if you must). Still, I can't help but feel that Nintendo really isn't trying anymore with their mainstream Mario games...

Smashgoom202 said:
...the inclusion of certain underrated characters like the Koopalings...

Does not compute.

Mario - and indeed, most of Nintendo's big name franchises - have been stale for a good many years now, this is nothing new. It's just that, like Sonic Team and even Valve (I'll admit this), they have one of the most rabid fanbases in the entire world who'll stop at nothing to own every title in the series and dismiss any opposition to the company as mindless rebellion because the detractors are just struck dumb and jealous of how damn good Nintendo are. Which is naturally a very stupid mentality, but it's how fanboyish attachment work.

also moviebob has made his fanboy position on Nintendo very clear, so you really shouldn't watch him if you think Nintendo no longer deserve the same praise that they used to get

It took me a while to realize, but yes, Nintendo has lost their touch, at least for now. They only make sequels to their big hits. I don't need four New Super Mario Bros. I want something game-changing.

before the video loaded, there was some kind of advertisement for a thing called 'dishonored' in which they made the decision to try and make the phrase 'rating pending' sound badass. it was very odd

anyway, this is basically a topic about how some reviewer finally realised what's been going on ever since the wii came out? neat. maybe if enough people figure it out nintendo'll be forced to stop

(ha ha ha)

Back