2012 Aurora Shooting

As I see it, nothing separates the survivors from the victims except for mere chance, and in a way, the survivors are worse off. A number of the dead are lauded as heroes, and undoubtedly, some of the survivors have survivor's guilt and therefore believe they should be the ones that are dead.

Byakuya Togami said:
As I see it, nothing separates the survivors from the victims except for mere chance, and in a way, the survivors are worse off. A number of the dead are lauded as heroes, and undoubtedly, some of the survivors have survivor's guilt and therefore believe they should be the ones that are dead.

[quote author=Bartimaeus Trilogy, "Ptolemy's Gate"]According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking[/quote]

now now now calm down guys

he's not rudnicki so therefore doesn't deserve dozens of users dog-piling on top of him

only one at a time please

In all seriousness, it's pretty sad how you guys decided attacking someone's view on the incident was more important that actually honoring/mourning the victims of the tragedy that actually happens to be in the thread title.

Even if it has been a while since a good honest debate. Something I'll mourn with Scarecrow.

(perhaps we should restart that us 2012 election thread, although really i don't have much to say now except that i don't like either romney or obama)

Jack Noir said:
it's pretty sad how you guys decided attacking someone's view on the incident was more important that actually honoring/mourning the victims of the tragedy that actually happens to be in the thread title.

Much as I love a good debate, I concede your point.

I get that a lot of them are trolling, but it's still really horrible, even if they're not serious.

And some of them probably are serious, which is terrifying.

That just makes me sick. How could someone support him like that. It also disgusts me that a meme is coming out of a tragedy like this.

are you like the internet psychologist or something

i mean you had a good response to Tabuu's thread about the community and stuff too

one of the few good responses i might add

Gideon Gordon Graves said:
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/aurora-colorado-theater-shooting#fandom

Is this really a thing? This can't be a thing.
How did this happen?

Jack Noir said:

are you like the internet psychologist or something

i mean you had a good response to Tabuu's thread about the community and stuff too

one of the few good responses i might add

i can be the internet psychologist so long as i don't have to be the internet mnemonist, 'cause i have no idea what thread you're talking about.

seriously though, i'm not particularly adept at psychology. i just happened to stumble across that while reading once.

Gideon Gordon Graves said:
yeah but it's still fucked up

sure, but i thought you sounded incredulous about it.

you must do a lot of reading

cause I certainly wouldn't have found something like this
[quote author=2257 in a locked thread that i don't know how to link to]http://www.plausiblydeniable.com/opinion/gsf.html
Geek Social Fallacy #1: Ostracizers Are Evil

GSF1 is one of the most common fallacies, and one of the most deeply held. Many geeks have had horrible, humiliating, and formative experiences with ostracism, and the notion of being on the other side of the transaction is repugnant to them.

In its non-pathological form, GSF1 is benign, and even commendable: it is long past time we all grew up and stopped with the junior high popularity games. However, in its pathological form, GSF1 prevents its carrier from participating in -- or tolerating -- the exclusion of anyone from anything, be it a party, a comic book store, or a web forum, and no matter how obnoxious, offensive, or aromatic the prospective excludee may be.

As a result, nearly every geek social group of significant size has at least one member that 80% of the members hate, and the remaining 20% merely tolerate. If GSF1 exists in sufficient concentration -- and it usually does -- it is impossible to expel a person who actively detracts from every social event. GSF1 protocol permits you not to invite someone you don't like to a given event, but if someone spills the beans and our hypothetical Cat Piss Man invites himself, there is no recourse. You must put up with him, or you will be an Evil Ostracizer and might as well go out for the football team.

This phenomenon has a number of unpleasant consequences. For one thing, it actively hinders the wider acceptance of geek-related activities: I don't know that RPGs and comics would be more popular if there were fewer trolls who smell of cheese hassling the new blood, but I'm sure it couldn't hurt. For another, when nothing smacking of social selectiveness can be discussed in public, people inevitably begin to organize activities in secret. These conspiracies often lead to more problems down the line, and the end result is as juvenile as anything a seventh-grader ever dreamed of.
[/quote]

Back