• The Nerd

Votes: 18 100.0%
  • The Gamer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Post-Damage Invincibility

LET ME COME BACK TO THE 'SHROOM!
Banned User
Discuss. Do you think the IG is a rip-off of AVGN?

EDIT: How was there already a vote the EXACT instant I posted this?

I don't think he's a rip off but he's inferior none the less

GreenDisaster said:
Yeah, not a rip-off, but man, does he never do research.
What are some examples of things he gets wrong, I haven't seen that many. Besides when I got IRATE that he said DKCR introduces the concept of Diddy flying in a Jetpac, when Diddy could fly in a Jet Pack in DK64.

Post-Damage Invincibility said:
GreenDisaster said:
Yeah, not a rip-off, but man, does he never do research.
What are some examples of things he gets wrong, I haven't seen that many. Besides when I got IRATE that he said DKCR introduces the concept of Diddy flying in a Jetpac, when Diddy could fly in a Jet Pack in DK64.
From TvTropes...
When talking about ''Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin'' in his "Top 5 DS Games" video, he complained that Simon Belmont wasn't the main character, even though Simon hasn't been the main character since ''Castlevania II: Simon's Quest'' (''Super Castlevania IV'' and ''Castlevania Chronicles'' are remakes of the first game). He also noted that it plays very differently from the first four games, implying he has never played a Metroidvania title.
When talking about Hellboy II: The Golden Army, he was excited to see David Hyde Pierce reprise his role as Abe Sapien. Actually, a little research would show Pierce refused to do the sequel and Abe was voiced by Doug Jones (the man in the costume).
He also believes Mexico has Taco Bell on every corner. The only time Taco Bell was introduced in Mexico it failed miserably.
The original cartoon was called Kinnikuman (translates into Muscleman) after the main character, not MUSCLE as he claims.
He also criticizes the enemies [in SMB2] for being "goofy and oddball" citing Shy Guys, Snifits, and Bob-Ombs, while ignoring that all three of these became Mario staples. He also criticizes Wart for not being Bowser, even though this was the ''second'' Mario game ''ever'', and thus it had not yet been established that Bowser was the series villain. One game doesn't make a pattern.
This line: "Out of the almost 700 games made for the NES..." He's implying there's less than 700 games made for the NintendoEntertainmentSystem. There's well over 1000 games (that's including Famicom titles).
The creator of the Odyssey, Ralph Baer, saw the video and said that ''there aren't enough hours in the day to respond to every piece of nonsense that is out there". You know the research is bad when ''one of the founding fathers of the medium'' calls you out.
Bores claims ROB was the main reason the NES succeeded in North America. While ROB did help sell systems, it wasn't the MAIN reason. Nintendo slowly sold systems in big cities all over the USA until it caught on, a great example of marketing.
The Wise Sage's first wish was for resurrection. If they were following Disney's Aladdin, they would remember that one of the Genie's rules was not being able to bring people back from the dead.
How much more do I need to go on?

Also he complained about SMB2 (USA) being unfair because enemies can walk through the cactus's but didn't have a problem with SMBLL difficulty. Also one of his main complaints was the SMB2 isn't 2 player well neither is SMBLL.

I find them both entertaining, though Rolfe is better, likely because he's a film enthusiast and can incorporate various techniques into his videos, whereas Bores restricts himself to special effects and costumes.

Also, he thinks the arcade version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time doesn't exist, despite four years of people telling him otherwise.

Also he's a total dumbass who doesn't seem to understand that video games have changed and that things like the Fairchild Channel F's games were revolutionary and pushed the hardware limits of it's time

Also in order to prove that the star in SMB2 is to slow he not only went to the highest place he also slowed the game down

I hated Bores' Zombies Ate My Neighbors review.

What? Only 3 lives and passwords?! That's the worst thing ever!
The credits are an actual level instead of just boring words? Horrible!
There's more than one kind of enemy? This sucks!

I also hated a certain line from the Sonic Colors review.

Bores to the SEGA representative: Sonic Unleashed sucked, so this better be an improvement.

He was mad that Contra had aliens something he would have known if he read the manual also he was mad that there was a mermaid in The Goonies II something that was stated IN THE DAMN MANUAL

Watch AVGN's NES Ninja Turtles review, then watch IG's NES Ninja Turtles Review. Tell me IG isn't a ripoff.

I only found out about IG a few years after getting into AVGN. I choose AVGN.

Mason said:
Watch AVGN's NES Ninja Turtles review, then watch IG's NES Ninja Turtles Review. Tell me IG isn't a ripoff.

It's unfair to compare IG's early stuff with AVGN's early stuff as justification for the rip-off argument. It's better to compare what they're doing nowadays.

Byakuya Togami said:
Mason said:

It's unfair to compare IG's early stuff with AVGN's early stuff as justification for the rip-off argument. It's better to compare what they're doing nowadays.
They did come out like a month after each other...

I have no idea what IG is doing nowadays but AVGN is a comedic game reviewer. IG is a comedic game reviewer. No one should "own" the idea of comedic game reviewing anyway.

Yes I am totally contradicting my last post.

Nowadays, IG mainly covers more modern games and talks about video game history.

One time a fan asked AVGN what he thought of the IG. James Rolfe responded: "The Irate Gamer pretends I don't exist, so I pretend that the Irate Gamer doesn't exist."
Chris Bores to this day INSISTS that he came up with the concept of being an angry video game reviewer out of the blue. But a private message Chris Bores sent to Angry Video Game Nerd seems to imply otherwise. In it, he kisses James butt and pleads withh him to do a collaboration video. However Chris, in his haste, did not realize that James doesn't actually maintain the JamesNintendoNerd Youtube account and unknowingly sent it to Mike Matei (who plays Motherfucker Mike), James Rolfe's on-screen partner,instead. Motherfucker Mike went on to post the Private Message on ScrewAttack Message Boards

“
Hello James,
I'm not sure if you know me but my name is Chris Bores, I do the Irate Gamer videos on youtube.

I feel compelled to finally write you since my videos are starting to get popular on youtube and tons of people are comparing my quality of work to yours.

I don't know if you'll end up reading this because you probably get tons of emails in a day and I know mine would be swimming in the sea of them, but I wanted to write you anyway.

Anyhow, I just wanted to let you know I've been a fan of your videos ever since I saw your Ninja Turtles game review around last year. And I gotta say, it was very inspiring to me. In fact, I hardly got any sleep that night because I had hundreds of new idea's flowing through my mind of what I could do with this intriguing thing you started. But due to my career, I had to tuck them away for a few months until I could get some spare time to record them.

Now I'm not sure if you've ever seen any of my reviews or ever heard of me, or heck, even like me for that matter, but I just wanted to take some time out of my busy schedule and let you know I respect your work and I do try my hardest to not copy your material. Although in my earlier reviews, I will admit, that I accidentally used some of your well known made up words in my review and I only found this out because people were telling me I did. I felt really bad about it and still do because the last thing I want to do is steal your catch phrases.

Since then, I made a point to watch all your reviews again and to make sure not to make that same blunder again. So if I ended up causing any negative feelings because of it, my apologies. But hey, I just wanted to email you and let you know I respect your work and clear the air of any hard feelings if there are any, because I'm just doing this stuff for fun and I know you are too.

So thanks for everything, and I should mention, since day one I thought it would be neat to do a duel[sic] review with you, but I'm still trying to figure out how getting both worlds to collide would work. Hmm Oh well, maybe one day. Thanks again my friend, and I'm glad to see you doing so well!
-Chris

„

—The Irate Gamer, unknowingly confessing his plagiarism to Mike Matei

Also he's a really bad gamer who uses game genies to beat games (also he plays on emulators most of the time)

Xenophon P. Wilfley said:
Also he's a really bad gamer who uses game genies to beat games (also he plays on emulators most of the time)
Well doesn't the nerd suck at video games? That's kinda his shtick. "AAAAAH This game is too fucking hard I can't get past this part! Fuck this game! I'd rather eat rat droppings covered in shit!"

Post-Damage Invincibility said:
Xenophon P. Wilfley said:
Well doesn't the nerd suck at video games? That's kinda his shtick. "AAAAAH This game is too fucking hard I can't get past this part! Fuck this game! I'd rather eat rat droppings covered in shit!"
No Chris dies on purpose a lot of the times you can tell because he doesn't fire his weapons a lot and sometimes he literally jumps into enemies (I found a really good blog detailing everything wrong with everyone of his reviews.

I don't really have a well rounded opinion of this since I've only seen one Irate gamer episode as opposed to all the AVGN ones.

Bores' acting and antics during the episode seemed a bit more over the top and groan worthy. From what I hear, he took a lot of games to review from AVGN at the beginning.

Yet I hear nowadays he's been getting better at it while AVGN declines from longetivity. The movie will probably be one of the last major things from this.

Hello gamers watching the Irate Gamer show! Since I've gotten a LOT of requests to review all the many games coming out, I decided to do another round-up review. First review: Ultimate Marvel vs Combat 3! Being an HUGE fan of comic books and classic video games, I could only be excited to play this game! This is an huge improvement over the first game, there are more characters to fight with, more stages and you can even do more special moves, like Mortal Kombat! The roster has even more many classic characters which is great, but why is Tron Bonne still in there? Who is he?

Next game is Octomedius, only on Xbox! I've been told this is a sequel to the Gladius series on the NES but I haven't played that. This is a sidescroller retro shooting game where you defeat enemies and collect powerups to become more powerful. Overral it's not a bad game, but it's very repetitive.

And now, the last game, X-Men Destinity. Being an huge fan of the X-Men comic book, I was anxious to play this game despite all the bad reviews. And after having played it, I must say it's good in some ways and bad in others. There are enemies to fight, levels to unlock and special moves to learn. The game becomes more difficult the more you progress. It's not a perfect game but I have to say that it was pretty good.

So this is the end of this video game round-up and Irate Gamer signing off. Game on!

@GreenDisaster: lol, all that (some of which is spergy nonsense) and you don't even quote "The Genesis was released to compete with the SNES".

Back