Do you?

• Yes

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Some

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • None

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters
I learned a little bit because I knew a deaf girl in high school. At first, I kept accidentally saying "fuck you" instead of "thank you" because apparently those two signs are very similar.

I also learned a few sentences such as "please give that to me" and "you are very funny."

I don't remember exactly. I think "thank you" is an outward hand motion from the mouth, but she said "fuck you" is an outward hand motion from the chest.

Maybe she was lying.

My friend is pretty good with sign language (even though she's not deaf, she's just interested in it) and I picked up a few things, such as the alphabet and how to talk about potatoes.

I don't know any sign language, I can't even understand that.

My mom was deaf in one ear and she ran a camp for the hearing impaired, so I was quite fluent when I was younger, but I haven't done any signing in at least five years now.

Now that you mention it, no, I don't know any sign languages. I should probably learn Auslan one day, seems like it'd come in handy someday.

I know a little.

My mom took sign language and she passed down her old textbook, I have another one too, I just haven't looked at it.

I don't know any ASL or any other variety.

He means, something to enable you to start hearing.

I do not.

FireEevee said:
YamiHoshi.nl said:
He means, something to enable you to start hearing.
yeah.

Cochlear implants and other aids for the deaf are very very expensive (although insurance could cover it). If a person has been deaf their whole life (I don't know if this is the case with Toxbox), implants wouldn't really help because they wouldn't know how to distinguish sounds at all.

schmutz said:
implants wouldn't really help because they wouldn't know how to distinguish sounds at all.

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, yes they would. It's better to be able to hear and be kind of disoriented by it for a while than to not be able to hear at all.

whoa,

no.

if you grow up completely deaf the entire sound-processing centre of your brain develops differently. you can't just glue on fake ears and expect it to rewire itself to match a person who grew up hearing. brains don't work that way.

I may have misunderstood what he was talking about, in which case I apologize, but I've heard stories of (and seen at least interview one with, I think) people who were deaf their entire life getting their hearing back through implants and stuff.

I have a feeling that this conversation is going to end with me looking like a dumbass.

Back