• Yes

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Some

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • None

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters
Troy & Abed in the Morning said:
I may have misunderstood what he was talking about, in which case I apologize, but I've heard stories of (and seen at least interview one with, I think) people who were deaf their entire life getting their hearing back through implants and stuff.

I have a feeling that this conversation is going to end with me looking like a dumbass.

i think its sort of a sliding scale. people who had normal hearing as children but lost it as they aged (or who got the implant as children) do the best; normally they can gain at least enough ability to hold a conversation in a quiet room. at the other end of the scale are adults who have been deaf their entire lives, who afaik can gain the ability to perceive sound but can never learn to process it in any meaningful way

ToxBox is born deaf, so it has no use to 'bring it back'.

Makoto Naegi said:
Troy & Abed in the Morning said:
ToxBox is 16, could he get his hearing back?

earlier he said he's had a cochlear implant but doesn't use it anymore, so i assume they tried it and it didn't work. but i have no idea what the general cut off is (if there even is a general cut off, which i doubt. im sure it varies from person to person)

YamiHoshi.nl said:

what's relevant doesn't seem to be the state at birth but the state during the critical periods for the development of sound and spoken language processing skills. at least, that's been my understanding
Impant worked but it caused worst headache so I don't use it anymore

Makoto Naegi said:
YamiHoshi.nl said:

what's relevant doesn't seem to be the state at birth but the state during the critical periods for the development of sound and spoken language processing skills. at least, that's been my understanding

Yes, but if he was born deaf, he definitely wouldn't have developed those skills... Sixteen is much too late for that.

This is what I meant:
http://3dsforums.com/introduce-yourself-4/im-new-forum-21905/#post399197

schmutz said:
Yes, but if he was born deaf, he definitely wouldn't have developed those skills... Sixteen is much too late for that.

i know that. i just thought that the post was a bit confusing and could use clarification

Back