How you would raise kids differently from your parents?

Lindsay151

Cheep Cheep
Wiki Administrator
When you ever have kids one day, how would you care and treat for them differently that the way your parents raised you. Example, what would you let them do/have or not compare to your parents, etc?

I'd probably push them to study. My parents were lenient about that, and I really regret not taking my schoolwork seriously when I was younger.

I would at least make an attempt at respecting whatever cultural/societal/whatever things are going on at the time, instead of forcing my own things on them. For example, because my mom didn't have a computer when she was young, she doesn't feel like I should have one--I would not do that. I like to think that I'm more accepting of what other people like and what they want to do, unlike my mother who's astoundingly selfish.

The one thing that I do think my parents did well was support my education and push me a lot when I was younger. They may not have allowed much partying or social things, which I feel I would personally allow more of (within limits), but I will want to continue the tradition of brainiac kids :P I don't think I'd be overbearing about it, barking at them if they get a 95% and not a 100%, but I would definitely urge them to study up.

This is actually something I've thought a lot about BECAUSE I'M GETTING OOOOOLD ;~; , but when it comes to verbalizing it, I don't really know what to say, lol.

Dippy has a good point.
I'm expecting the younger users to say stuff like "I will not feed them vegetables.", or "They will get as many (INSERT_SOME_EXPENSIVE_CATEGORY_HERE) as they want.", etc.
These thoughts will change, as you become more mature.

Anyway, I'll at least do anything to make my child get decent marks, as that's becoming more and more important, everyday.
Her school will start in 3 years, as she's currently 1 year old.

To be honest, I wouldn't change much. They've always had open minds and are responsive to change (discussion helps). I would probably start a college fund for my kids, though (so that they don't have to rely on student loans or other programs).

I'll not do mean things to them.

I'll also allow them to play videogames but only if they finish their work.

You people are liars you will end up doing all of the shit you say you wont do it's just a fact.

YamiHoshi.nl said:
I'm expecting the younger users to say stuff like "I will not feed them vegetables.", or "They will get as many (INSERT_SOME_EXPENSIVE_CATEGORY_HERE) as they want.", etc.
These thoughts will change, as you become more mature.
I'm a younger user and I would not do that.

To be honest, I might not change very much, but I would let them play video games, but only after they finish their work. I will limit their social time, but not restrict it completely (my mom actually does that tbh) and I will give them allowances, because I don't really get anything. I will ask them to do stuff, but I won't overload them.

Let my kids actually have Facebook, push them to their potential and support them, not make them feel like shit whenever they do anything wrong.

Chihiro Fujisaki said:
I'd probably push them to study. My parents were lenient about that, and I really regret not taking my schoolwork seriously when I was younger.

Pushing kids too far can do just as much damage, though, so you might want to be careful of that.

I wouldn't really do anything differently. My parents have been pretty great.

Well if they where playing a game I would a least make sure they had saved it before making them turn it off.

I love how everyone in this thread is acting like their parents are merciless, abusive people.

If you could watch a movie everything you have ever done to your parents, you would be absolutely ashamed.

Agent Smith said:
I love how everyone in this thread is acting like their parents are merciless, abusive people.

If you could watch a movie everything you have ever done to your parents, you would be absolutely ashamed.
My mom isn't like that, and I don't have a dad!
But she did ask me to do a lot of things, and she actually was letting me play video games whenever I wanted, so I want to let my kids play them, but restrict it.

Agent Smith said:

hack COUGH COUGH

Lemmy Koopa Girl said:
My mom isn't like that, and I don't have a dad!

Troy & Abed in the Morning said:
I wouldn't really do anything differently. My parents have been pretty great.

GreenDisaster said:
I don't see how I said my mom was like that, Banjo.

All I said is that my parents are too lenient. They're great, otherwise.

I'm not too sure if I'm gonna have kids. I don't think I'd be a great parent, the job I want would require me to be traveling for a third of the year, and it costs a lot to have children. I'd consider adopting a child from poor living conditions instead of having children if I was to ever have any.

I'm not sure what I'd do if I was a parent.

Agent Smith said:

I could burden you with stories, but I'd really rather not. I already do that enough to some people in chat. Although I agree that some people might be making exaggerations, it's not good for you to make such an aggressive assumption. I can personally say that I would not be ashamed of my own actions, and instead be ashamed of how my parents reacted. I'd rather not b'aww too much, but a short summary of my past few days has been me arguing with my mom against her killing a kitten, only to have her scream at me that it's not fair for me to yell at her since she's not allowed to scream at me.

I am 100% sure that that is something I will not do as a parent.

Back