How you would raise kids differently from your parents?

Hypnotoad said:
Agent Smith said:
I love how everyone in this thread is acting like their parents are merciless, abusive people.

If you could watch a movie everything you have ever done to your parents, you would be absolutely ashamed.

I could burden you with stories, but I'd really rather not. I already do that enough to some people in chat. Although I agree that some people might be making exaggerations, it's not good for you to make such an aggressive assumption. I can personally say that I would not be ashamed of my own actions, and instead be ashamed of how my parents reacted. I'd rather not b'aww too much, but a short summary of my past few days has been me arguing with my mom against her killing a kitten, only to have her scream at me that it's not fair for me to yell at her since she's not allowed to scream at me.

I am 100% sure that that is something I will not do as a parent.
That. My parents have traumatized the heck out of my sister and I, ruined my self-esteem, and recently yelled at me for not being able to find a charge (I think? Still not really sure what happened then to be honest.) So while we've all done bad things ourselves, I don't think it's safe to assume that all of our parents are perfect.

I'd encourage them to study. Since education is the key to a well balanced life. Raise them to be open minded and have proper mannors. Refrain from corporal punishment and verbal abuse. Since children end up aggressive with resenetment in their hearts later on in life. And I won't spoil them one bit. They must earn what they desire.

Yoshidude99 said:
Well if they where playing a game I would a least make sure they had saved it before making them turn it off.
^

Also let them play classics before they play modern games and not let them play war on real life based shooters until I decide

King DDD said:
Yes, I don't want see them to play CoD and Halo everyday because they kept getting boring
So basically fuck letting your kids decide what they like you're going to bias their views on gaming by pushing your own instead of letting them decide what they like best.
As for this whole video game thing if you know you're supposed to be doing something I would shut the game off teach them a lesson about getting things done first

Yeah because killing Goombas is so much healthier then killing humans

Ha so mass murder is ok when as long as you're not killing humans so what about Zelda where you go around killing human guards who aren't able to control themselves, What about Wario Land 4 where you kill the subjects of a cursed kingdom who only want to prevent you from unsealing the games big bad, how about Mario Land 2 where you kill the subjects of Mario Land who were hypnotized into following Wario's orders, and how about Pokemon where you capture animals and force them to fight each other.

Xenophon P. Wilfley said:
Ha so mass murder is ok when as long as you're not killing humans so what about Zelda where you go around killing human guards who aren't able to control themselves, What about Wario Land 4 where you kill the subjects of a cursed kingdom who only want to prevent you from unsealing the games big bad, how about Mario Land 2 where you kill the subjects of Mario Land who were hypnotized into following Wario's orders, and how about Pokemon where you capture animals and force them to fight each other.
No, that's ok. Because it's Nintendo, and everything Nintendo is 100% kiddy friendly.

Minuette said:
No, that's ok. Because it's Nintendo, and everything Nintendo is 100% kiddy friendly.

Metroid, Kid Icarus or Star Fox?

Sora said:
Minuette said:

Metroid, Kid Icarus or Star Fox?
Metroid you shoot hundreds of alien pirate not to mention you're a bounty hunter who kills for cash
Kid Icarus you shoot lots of demons
Star Fox seriously there mercenaries who are paid to kill others

Because I enjoy them what pisses me off is that people try to take the moral high road theory of oh it's ok to kill as long as there isn't blood or that a goomba is like an insect despite being fully capable of talking so it's ok to kill that.

Not too differently... I think I'd be more strict at the times my parents should have been more strict, and I'd be more lenient at the times I wish my parents were more lenient.

I won't ever act like what my child has to say is unimportant, and I won't say things like "here honey, have a sip of this soda before the kids slobber in it." My kids will feel like they're important and intelligent.

I also won't argue with my spouse in front of my kids.

Other than that, my parents raised me pretty well. I learned manners such as "excuse me," "please," and "thank you" at a very young age, and I was raised not to be racist or prejudice.

I wouldn't do go arguments infront of them.

I would let them play videogames if they do their work.

I would buy anything related to Nintendo (if they like it)

_ said:
Refrain from corporal punishment and verbal abuse. Since children end up aggressive with resenetment in their hearts later on in life.

This or else they'll end up like me.

I will do everything in my power to teach and raise my children in a stable environment of cultural acceptance, keeping an unconditional state of love and Erikson's psychosocial development stages in mind. Listening to them will be key, and disapproving only of that which may endanger their well-being or the well-being of other's resulting in their actions.

I would barely change anything actually. My parents have done a fine good job raising me and I'm more fortunate than many of my friends and relatives, so I am always thankful for that.

The only things I would try to change would be to try not to argue with my spouse in front of them if I have the chance to and not have them pick which side they agree with in the aftermath. I would try to actually listen to their side of the argument and not act like it is unimportant. Lastly, whenever my spouse would need help with something, I will always find the time to help them.

However, its not like these are unbearable problems that I need to fix as I've done above and beyond with them as they are definitely some fo the best parents I could've ever had. These are just a few things that I think I would personally prefer.

Back