NSMB2 vs NSMBU

Which game do you think will be better

• New Super Mario Bros 2

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • New Super Mario Bros U

Votes: 28 93.3%

• Total voters
wow, not a single vote for NSMB2.

I'd say NSMBU, NSMB2 doesn't really look very exciting to me. I'll probably end up getting it anyway, though.

NSMB2 looks like a lot of fun (better than NSMBW) but NSMBU gets my vote because it's much more innovative.

NSMBU obviously since it is has better graphics, online functions and hopefully a fully fledged online mode as well as Yoshi and the similarity's to SMW.
Why would anyone vote for NSMB2?

Z-omb said:
NSMBU obviously since it is has better graphics, online functions and hopefully a fully fledged online mode as well as Yoshi and the similarity's to SMW.
Why would anyone vote for NSMB2?
Regardless of handheld capacity, as they are 3rd and 4th NSMB installment, the 4th is usually better than the 3rd in quality?

U gets my vote here but still getting both anyway.

How can we know yet which will be better?

Honestly the 1,000,000 coin goal in New Super Mario Bros 2 is starting to make sense, they want people to keep playing. Also the timed mode with one life is interesting too. If Mario and Luigi really can be playable in co-op or online, then this game is defiantly better than I first thought.

Defiantly getting this game.

If they have really hard levels in either game like W9-7 and W9-4 then I am getting no matter how hard it is. Although I hated those levels

SuperNick3DLand said:
Honestly the 1,000,000 coin goal in New Super Mario Bros 2 is starting to make sense, they want people to keep playing. Also the timed mode with one life is interesting too. If Mario and Luigi really can be playable in co-op or online, then this game is defiantly better than I first thought.

I am starting to warm up to the coin idea since its original and unique and should make the gameplay longer generally.

SuperNick3DLand said:

Defiantly? Definatly.

I saw in the E3 conference the guy said a billion coins though.

Having no lives is nothing new, since I've played a good number of games where it's impossible to get game overs, unless you quit the game; Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo-Tooie are a few examples.

I would choose New Super Mario Bros 2. Aside from the getting help with levels, NSMBU just seems like more of the same. Aside from Yoshi's and a new suit (present in most mario games), nothing to interesting. 2, on the other hand, gives more unique gameplay and a new aspect on thing. It's also great for people who like to collect everything. Plus, REZNOR and the Raccoon suit are just added bonuses. I just think overall it has more useful innovation making it a newer and more interesting game.

shockwave527 said:
I would choose New Super Mario Bros 2. Aside from the getting help with levels, NSMBU just seems like more of the same. Aside from Yoshi's and a new suit (present in most mario games), nothing to interesting. 2, on the other hand, gives more unique gameplay and a new aspect on thing. It's also great for people who like to collect everything. Plus, REZNOR and the Raccoon suit are just added bonuses. I just think overall it has more useful innovation making it a newer and more interesting game.
So, you didn't notice the new world themes, the cool art background Boo level, giant star platforms, Miis playable, communication with messages between friends, 360 achievement-esque goals such as beating a level in a certain time, flying squirrel enemies, using the Wii U GamePad to create platforms, etc.

I don't want to criticize your opinion harshly, but honestly, everything you've said for these games is the exact opposite of what I've seen. I mean, NSMB2 reuses all of the previous world themes, uses the Koopalings right after NSMBW did, is apparently reusing bosses like Reznor from classic titles, got Raccoon Mario right after the whole Tanooki phase in SM3DL, with the only thing new being a coin power-up. Sure, there's a mode where you can get a million coins, but that is literally the only groundbreaking feature I can find on this title for "hardcore" gamers.

Again, I don't want to see like I'm attacking your opinion because it's different and there is nothing wrong with it. I'm just a little curious on your perspective of each game's innovation.

Count Mario said:
shockwave527 said:
So, you didn't notice the new world themes, the cool art background Boo level, giant star platforms, Miis playable, communication with messages between friends, 360 achievement-esque goals such as beating a level in a certain time, flying squirrel enemies, using the Wii U GamePad to create platforms, etc.

I don't want to criticize your opinion harshly, but honestly, everything you've said for these games is the exact opposite of what I've seen. I mean, NSMB2 reuses all of the previous world themes, uses the Koopalings right after NSMBW did, got Raccoon Mario right after the whole Tanooki phase in SM3DL, with the only thing new being a coin power-up. Sure, there's a mode where you can get a million coins, but that is literally the only groundbreaking feature I can find on this title.

Again, I don't want to see like I'm attacking your opinion because it's different and there is nothing wrong with it. I'm just a little curious on your perspective of this debate.

Background-New graphics, woohoo
Giant Star Platforms-How does that improve gameplay?
Miis-I actually never saw that in anything about this game.
New Enemies-Again, gameplay? What's new?

I have to admit I forgot about achievements, but still.

Mario has been the same experience through the last few games. Every game they add a couple new powerups and maybe some system specific things, but it's still a lot of the same game. Same mario jumping, same bowser, same save the princess. With 2, there's the million coins mission, there's also new power ups and new enemies (undead goombas and p. plants, anyone?), so that refutes the whole squirrel thing. So what's actually "groundbreaking" about NSMBU, that's not just the normal improvements over previous Mario 2D platformers that we NORMALLY see from game to game?

shockwave527 said:
Count Mario said:
shockwave527 said:

I don't want to criticize your opinion harshly, but honestly, everything you've said for these games is the exact opposite of what I've seen. I mean, NSMB2 reuses all of the previous world themes, uses the Koopalings right after NSMBW did, got Raccoon Mario right after the whole Tanooki phase in SM3DL, with the only thing new being a coin power-up. Sure, there's a mode where you can get a million coins, but that is literally the only groundbreaking feature I can find on this title.

Again, I don't want to see like I'm attacking your opinion because it's different and there is nothing wrong with it. I'm just a little curious on your perspective of this debate.

Background-New graphics, woohoo
Giant Star Platforms-How does that improve gameplay?
Miis-I actually never saw that in anything about this game.
New Enemies-Again, gameplay? What's new?

I have to admit I forgot about achievements, but still.

Mario has been the same experience through the last few games. Every game they add a couple new powerups and maybe some system specific things, but it's still a lot of the same game. Same mario jumping, same bowser, same save the princess. With 2, there's the million coins mission, there's also new power ups and new enemies (undead goombas and p. plants, anyone?), so that refutes the whole squirrel thing. So what's actually "groundbreaking" about NSMBU, that's not just the normal improvements over previous Mario 2D platformers that we NORMALLY see from game to game?
The online communications, achievements, and the fact that they're adding new worlds which looks normal, but apparently NSMBW and NSMB2 can't do.

By the way, backgrounds do not equal graphics. NSMBW had better graphics for the Wii, but they still reused most of the background themes. Backround themes apply to the type of level and/or world it is, so it is bigger than just something to look at as it provides new items, sections, and gameplay material added to the game. By that logic, every new Mario game has completely different worlds because the graphical power of each system differs.

New power-ups and enemies are being applied to both games, so I don't see why you're using that as your support as NSMBU has squirrel enemies and giant creatures like in Giant Land from SMB3. Not to mention that in your opinion, they apparently don't add anything new to gameplay, yet you ironically still used undead enemies as support.

I admit that the star platforms thing was a little useless, but the Miis do provide something new as it lets you play as somebody else. The Miis weren't in the trailer, but they were confirmed in demos, E3 page, and the Iwata Asks interviews.

If you want to agree to disagree, with me, that is okay as I don't see this debate ending in the both of us siding together. I can respect your opinion because I have seen new innovative features in NSMB2. Not to mention that I will buy both games. It is my belief, though, that NSMBU provides more and actually looks like it could provide the major innovation I've personally been looking for in the New Super Mario Bros. series.

I also kinda find the whole thing about the goal to collect coins kind of useless. With NSMBU the whole online thing trumps NSMB2 in so many ways. The return of Raccoon Mario is nice but the whole thing about the game being about collecting coins just isn't interesting enough for me. I also would rather save my money in favor of getting Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon and Paper Mario 3DS. And not to mention the Wii U itself then get NSMB2.

Back