Listing strategy guides

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
short story short, we found out on IRC that Wario somehow has two official guides from separate publishers. MarioWiki:Naming says Nintendo Power is an higher priority than other guides, but it'd still be interesting to say what games have multiple competing guides and compare them, as it's still official information.

Since the wiki doesn't comprehensively list strategy guides anywhere, I thought it would be a good idea to make such a list and see if there any conflicts. so yeah, if you know of any official guides not listed here, feel free to post.

The original discussion that spawned this was about Prima vs Nintendo Power, but any other official guides from other publishers (such as Bradygames) fits too.

Games that have official Nintendo Power Guides

• A fairly extensive but possibly non-exhaustive list can be found on the Nintendo Power page.
Games that have official Prima Guides

• Mario Kart Wi
    • Mario Party 9
    • MARIO & SONIC AT THE LONDON 2012 OLYMPIC GAMES
    • Mario Kart 7
    • Super Mario 3D Land
    • Super Mario Galaxy 2
    • New Super Mario Bros. Wii
    • Mario Party 5
    • MARIO AND LUIGI: SUPERSTAR SAGA
    • Mario Kart: Double Dash
    • SUPER MARIO ADVANCE 4: SUPER MARIO BROS. 3
    • MARIO PARTY 3
    • Mario Kart Super Circuit
    • Super Mario Advance
    • Mario Tennis
    • Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
    • SUPER MARIO WORLD: SUPER MARIO ADVANCE 2
    • Donkey Kong Country Returns

Other Publishers

Multiple publications
  • Wario World
  • Paper Mario
  • Super Mario Sunshine
  • Mario Kart Double Dash
  • Super Paper Mario
  • Luigi's Mansion

How far back can we go? Also, there's a list of all the Mario games with Nintendo Power at Nintendo Power

How far back can we go

As long as it's official, date doesn't matter.

so, there's a list of all the Mario games with Nintendo Power at Nintendo Power

... Forgot that pagederp.

Looking at that list made me wonder, though, would Mario Mania deserve its own page? It's marketed as a strategy guide but it also doubles as an encyclopedia and retrospective book for the games up to Super Mario World.

Also, from the Prima site itself, a list of Mario games with Prima guides:

• Mario Party 9
  • MARIO & SONIC AT THE LONDON 2012 OLYMPIC GAMES
  • Mario Kart 7
  • Super Mario 3D Land
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  • Mario Party 5
  • MARIO AND LUIGI: SUPERSTAR SAGA
  • Mario Kart: Double Dash
  • SUPER MARIO ADVANCE 4: SUPER MARIO BROS. 3
  • MARIO PARTY 3
  • Super Mario Sunshine
  • Mario Kart Super Circuit
  • Super Mario Advance
  • Mario Tennis
  • Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
  • SUPER MARIO WORLD: SUPER MARIO ADVANCE 2
  • DONKEY KONG COUNTRY RETURNS

Mario Kart Wii is in Prima Guide as well.

Oh, scratch that. It's already mentioned.

Thank guys, updated the lists.

Seems Paper Mario, Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Kart DD and Super Paper Mario also have multiple official guides.

A little bit of Googling found me a Super Mario Galaxy Prima guide, Donkey Kong 64 guide, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga guide, Super Smash Bros. Brawl guide, Super Mario World guide, Mario Party 8 guide, Super Mario Bros. Deluxe guide, Mario Party 2 guide, Wario World guide, Wario Land: Shake It! guide, Yoshi's Island DS guide, Super Smash Bros. Melee guide, Mario Party 4 guide, and a New Super Mario Bros. guide.

Using this thread, I've created a page* for Prima Games with a list of the guides they've published. If there's any guides missing, add it on there.

*though not strictly related to the goal of this thread, if anyone could help me arrange the list in proper chronological order(Green Disaster fixed it) and create links to the page where Prima is mentioned on the wiki, I'd appreciate it

Hey Glowsquid Prima also has an official guide for Super Mario Galaxy
51Aj0vDS3mL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I found it on Amazon (actually I found it on Barns & Noble.com http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/super-mario-galaxy-fletcher-black/1008727432 which in my opinion makes it way more credible) and it would only make sense that they would make one for them to make one since it came after there partnership with nintendo (it's also cited in this proposal http://www.mariowiki.com/Talk:Goombeetle#TPP:_Move and in this conversation http://www.mariowiki.com/Talk:Octoomba#Electro_Goomba)

Not really. the other purpose of the thread (which I could've stated more clearly in the OP, admitelly) was to see who owns what guidebooks, and hopefully get confirmation when we don't know if name is indeed from an obscure guide or something unofficial someone forgot to tag/someone passing their made-up names as official (which happened before).

So, anyone owns the Sunshine Prima guide and can confirm that this thing is actually called "Klamber" in there? The guy who created the original page had an habit of giving wrong/stupid names to things and passing them as official, and thus I don't really trust him when he says he got it from "an official guide".

(In retrospect, that OP is kind of a mess...)

Anyone own the Prima YIDS guide? I'd like to know if the names for the new enemies "(Crabble", "Pointey", etc) are from there.

Hey Glowsquid, I created the list consisting of the official guides; both Nintendo Power and Prima Games. I didn't check any others though; tell me if you want to.

Initially, checking the main post, you wanted a list of official strategy guides that have been come out; but looking at your latest post here and others, it seems the topic is more useful on disputing whether the unconfirmed stuff mentioned from one of the two guides (Nintendo Power and Prima Games) are legit or not.

Here is the list: User:RAP/test6

Regarding the page I've made, here are a few things worth mentioning:
  • I'm curious to see how the guides are covered in the early days before the internet knocks that out of the park.
  • Setting up a section dedicated to unofficial guides, I'm even more curious to see how the people who wrote unofficial or unauthorized strategy guides have done it in comparison to the official guides. It is not intended as an alternative of actual official guides, hence the words "unofficial", and "unauthorized", but it can provide info on playing the game from their own point of view, bearing the potential lack of official names.
  • Also, I initially wanted to provide links to read the strategy guides in an "unconventional" matter (grabbing it off the internet), but I'm not sure if the wiki or this forum will allow me to do so. The reasons I wanted to share the links is because strategy guides seem to be a niche thing; die-hard fans are most likely going to buy these, and they are only useful to those needing help on a certain part of a video game.
  • I put up a section consisting of questions; much to my curiosity to things most people do not know about.
  • Looking at your latest post here, I set up a section dedicated to who owns the guides so people like you can request them to look up info for verification.
I did that list and posted in this topic because the sooner this topic is finished, the sooner it's moved to the archives. This also applies to potential other threads in the "Wiki Collaborations" sub-board that has been sitting here quite for some time.

Back