2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Well in 3 hours I either have the worst time of my life or the best one.

Canucks are up 1-0 at the end of the first.
Edit: Welp, the Canucks are out.

Could've been a tripping penalty before that goal. Considering the bullshit icing call and the bullshit Bieksa goal last year, I'm not sad. Hopefully the Blues will take down LA.

canucks-golf-buzzbishop.gif

Rooting for Ottawa now.

BLACKHAWK DOWN!

Thanks to 39 saves by Mike Smith, an idiotic hit by Jimmy Hayes that could land him a suspension to start next season, and four different goal-scorers for Phoenix, the Blackhawks have been eliminated and the Coyotes have won their first playoff series in Phoenix.

They'll take on Nashville in Round 2, while Los Angeles takes on St. Louis.

The Rangers beat Ottawa 3-2 tonight thanks to three second-period goals to turn Ottawa's 1-0 lead into a 3-1 deficit. The Senators scored with 38 seconds remaining to make things interesting, but it will take Game 7 on Thursday to decide things.

Both Western Conference Semifinal series have been decided, but only one team in the East has made it through. Florida can knock off New Jersey tomorrow and join the Flyers.

I know I might be just a little too glad that Blackhawks are out. But seriously, kudos to the Coyotes to winning their first playoff series while still in Phoenix. They're going to have to work harder to beat the Predators though.

Also considering the Canucks lost to the Kings. That's one reason why I'm not so upset about the loss in 5 to the Predators from the Wings.

Bye bye Boston!

I've worked out all the potential second-round matchups in the east.

Rangers win, Panthers win:
Rangers vs. Capitals
Panthers vs. Flyers

Rangers win, Devils win:
Rangers vs. Capitals
Flyers vs. Devils

Senators win, Panthers win:
Panthers vs. Senators
Flyers vs. Capitals

Senators win, Devils win:
Flyers vs. Senators
Panthers vs. Capitals

One of the advantages of the Rangers-Sens game being first means that as soon as it ends, one matchup will be set and one team will turn to the New Jersey-Florida game to find out who they face.

Brock is currently hosting "Your #mwchat edition of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, brought to you by Brock, co-hosted by Ralphfan." in #mwchat. Join at your own risk. Not responsible for disappointment at lack of coverage or jokes in poor taste about the Penguins.

That was a well-played game. Congratulations to Ottawa for beating everyone's expectations of them all year.

What I don't like about teams like the Rangers and the Blues is that they aren't winning by having more talented players. They're better at playing this tight-checking, low-scoring style that isn't too appealing to watch. I'm fine with low-scoring games, but I prefer games with a lot more shots on goal. In fact, a low-scoring game where the goalies come up big are arguably the most fun type of game to watch.

I'd say the Flyers are by far the most entertaining team left.

Flyers-Devils Game 1 was a pretty good game. And the Coyotes are up on the Predators 2-0. Wow. If they actually make it to the Western Conference Finals that'd be amazing. I hope either the Coyotes or the Kings win the West. I have no disdain to any teams left in the East. Though Flyers and Rangers might make for an epic Eastern Conference Final.

The Kings are up on the Blues 3-0

The Coyotes are up on the Predators 3-1

Happy days, happy days, oh happy days :)

Who do I root for now? Any suggestions?

(I'm seriously angry with Canada for not getting past Round 1. They should be good at this!)

Flyers or Coyotes. Caps and Preds are OK too. Just not LA or New York.

The Kings will have a problem getting into any arena with their inflated heads next round, the Coyotes have no fans but are quite possibly the greatest underdog story ever, the Predators didn't have fans until recently and Shea Weber had that hit on Zetterberg, the Capitals have a lot of bandwagon fans, the Rangers are New York, and Devils fans have a pretty terrible reputation around the league (no offense to Toad85 or any Devils fans on the forums, but their fans in general).

And yay, the Predators are out. Now I don't necessarily have to care too much who does or does not win the Cup. If I had to pick one to want least I'd kinda not want the Devils to win it. But it wouldn't be for reasons that I don't like the team.

The Western Conference Finals are pretty ironic to me. Nothing against the cities nor the teams at all, but Los Angeles, CA, and Phoenix, AZ? In the semifinals of an ice hockey tournament?

I mean, the temperature in Phoenix gets over 100 °F on average during nearly one third of the year! And California isn't really known for cold weather, as I see it.

Jokes aside, I think I'll root for the Coyotes now. Especially now that they will face the Kings (still mad).

Rat said:
and Devils fans have a pretty terrible reputation around the league (no offense to Toad85 or any Devils fans on the forums, but their fans in general).

None taken.

Severus Snape said:
The Western Conference Finals are pretty ironic to me. Nothing against the cities nor the teams at all, but Los Angeles, CA, and Phoenix, AZ? In the semifinals of an ice hockey tournament?

I mean, the temperature in Phoenix gets over 100 °F on average during nearly one third of the year! And California isn't really known for cold weather, as I see it.

Jokes aside, I think I'll root for the Coyotes now. Especially now that they will face the Kings (still mad).

It should also be known that the Coyotes averaged 12,420 fans per home game this year, and those numbers were bolstered with games against the Blackhawks and Red Wings, who bring hordes of visiting fans. Meanwhile, the Kings sold extremely poorly until their recent success, with attendance around 14,000, which is mind-blowing in as large a market as Los Angeles.

Back