Gamers send 400 cupcake sin protest of Mass Effect 3's ending

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
http://kotaku.com/5896847/gamers-send-bioware-400-cupcakes

All I could think of when I saw this news was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEjbVeLXPc0

Or since this is a protest, perhaps this would be more accurate (warning, contains gore):
We do not bring that up. Ever. No matter how joky it is. Warned.

As if My Little Pony invented cupcakes.

Smashgoom202 said:
Uniju said:
As if My Little Pony invented cupcakes.
Sorry, that's just all I could think of when I heard "cupcakes".
Don't be sorry. It's not like you're not allowed think of anything besides the person who invented cupcakes. I also thought of that. So sue me!

Mods, a question: Why do you get so up-in-arms about Cupcakes? I mean, yeah, it's fucked up but it's just a stupid fanfic. It's not like not posting about it will make it go away.

Actually that may have been incorrectly addressed because I think only 3K cares.

Pretty sure '3K is the one who cares. But I'm pretty sure we have a rule against gory content, so...

On the topic of the article, that's definitely an inventive (and delicious!) way to express dissatisfaction.

I think the entitlement and protests against BioWare and Mass Effect 3 have gone a wee bit too far. Really, if I were part of a development studio that messed up like this, being sent 400 cupcakes would be good incentive to continue being a dickhead in the future.

So like, what do these people want anyway? For Bioware to make a new ending and patch it into the game?

So Bioware won't repeat their mistakes?

I doubt that.

Herr Shyguy said:
So like, what do these people want anyway? For Bioware to make a new ending and patch it into the game?
Pretty much. I think they're really overreacting about this; if they were that pissed off, then they could just write a scathing review or something, stop buying their products, and move on.

I don't think it's easy for them to "move on" from something they've invested so much time in. I heard the ending was badly written, contradicts the canon of the series, pulls at LEAST 2 deus ex machinas out of its ass, and all the the player choices that were supposed to be building up to that point didn't really seem all that relevant. I heard there were slight, minimal changes, but it wasn't exactly what Bioware promised. They didn't lie about it, but they really overhyped the whole choice aspect of these games, and to have it ultimately meaningless...

Well, I can say, without actually playing the games, I feel their frustration.

In regards of actually changing the ending, I think it's really up to Bioware. If they were satisfied with the ending, they might be right within their mind to change it to the way they wanted it to. Perhaps not the absolute BEST ending that EVERYONE wants, but at least an ending that's not quite as crappy. Not to mention, if they stand firm on their ending, they'll probably end up losing costumers in the long-run. Mass Effect is one of their BIGGEST recent franchises, and people are going to remember the ending more than anything else in the game, and will likely continue to hold a grudge against them for it. That's not to say EVERY fan overreaction should be listened to and dealt with, but it's still worth getting some fan input on what does and doesn't work... from people who know what they're talking about.

Mass 3 was more of a let down than Dragon Age 2, from what I know.

Most of the game actually offered poor choices and crap dialogue, not to mention not much was in the game to begin with when compared with the previous.

Although its not the first time bioware has screwed up sequels. Dragon Age 2 and Neverwinter nights 2 all come to mind.

Although I'm not too concerned since Bioware fanbase is pretty stupid and absurd. Many areas point to the ME series being overrated and nowhere near as good as they might claim.

So with that I'm not surprised and don't care much for it anyway, Bioware will move on and they've spent more time in projects than this and have been shunned for much worse games.

Oh and don't even make me bring up the game they've been blamed for which was so bad it was said to be as horrible as Sonic 06(which was pretty much confirmed to be the worst game to ever exist.)

They probably dont care about this either due to SWOR being far more effective than ever imagined. Now that they have an online game where even the oldies of Bioware fans love, this probably was nothing more than a effortless conclusion. Which I don't blame them, everyone and their mother knows that the KOTOR universe is far surperior to that of lackluster ME universe, in every possible way.

A better way to protest: Don't but their future games, like Dippy stated.

You save money, you don't support them, and they lose business. You hit them where it hurts most. You win, they lose. Problem solved. But nope, they keep bitching and BioWare just keeps laughing as they take their customer's money straight to the bank.

I haven't played Mass Effect 3, nor have I played Mass Effect at all, so I don't really care about this at all...except for the fact that this shit is plastered on every gaming site.

Problem is: gamers have no self-control. Look at CoD (yes, everything relates back to that in my world.) Every year addicts promise themselves they won't buy it, and every year the new game does better and better.

^Every year addicts promise themselves they won't buy Nintendo games, and every year a thousand new Nintendo games are released and they do better and better. Basically, get the hell out if you aren't going to contribute anything to this discussion.

Anyway, the idea that a company can completely change a pivotal part of the story just because a bunch of people can't deal with disappointment is what disturbs me. Seeing how large and influential BioWare and EA are, it could set a bad precedent for the medium (at least for smaller teams), "We can't do anything so risky! Remember what happened to BioWare?" I fully agree that the ending was kind of a wreck and a major disappointment, and the criticism leveled at it should hopefully give BioWare an idea of how to approach their future products, but I can think of worse endings and there really are worse things that can happen in life. The amount of time the more noisy fans have invested into acting like they have creative rights just because they're fans could've been invested into, y'know, playing a different series.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that it's frustrating and if I were a massive fan of the series, I'd be incredibly upset as well. I'm not saying they can't be angry, or can't criticize it, or anything reasonable like that. But "it'll never be made" jokes aside, if Valve do release Half-Life 3 and it turns out to be completely shit and ruins the whole story, I will be very upset; but I won't petition for them to change it all. Forcing the company to retroactively remove such an important part of the story just because a bunch of loud fans didn't like it renders their artistic intentions and visions completely pointless, and sends a bad message that any group of fans can get whatever they want if they cry loud enough. But I guess if BioWare want to change it because they personally feel it should be changed, and not because people are constantly whinging about it, then I won't oppose that.

basically, they should really just grow up and accept that sometimes life just shits on you.

Okay, MovieBob (The Game Overthinker) basically had this addendum to say, in addition to his latest episode on the ending:

I don't accept the premise that gaming is fundamentally different from film or literature because of the manner of user-engagement, nor that choose-your-own-adventure structuring and letting you adjust the visual look of a main character makes Mass Effect some kind of sea-change, NOR that any of this represents some kind of important shift in the relationship of audience to artist - and if it does, it's a bad shift. Good art and good stories are not made via democracy. The artist is the superior of his/her audience, with the sole caveat that they may choose to render said artist powerless by withholding support. You take that away and all we've got is made-to-order bullshit, which is where cultural stagnation comes from. People who only ever get what they WANT will never discover what the didn't know they NEEDED.

Also, I still say that the precedent this will set is one of the worst things that could possibly happen to this increasingly-ridiculous industry - YES, it's possible that Bioware's back-to-the-drawing-board approach will yield a "better" ending for this ONE game... but that won't be the end of it. This being so high-profile will have an automatically-disasterous effect on fans, telling them that if they throw a tantrum they'll get their way, and on publishers especially: they're already disgustingly risk-averse, and "Remember What Happened To Bioware!" will be a convenient cudgel to bludgeon the ambitions of any creative team that wants to do something risky or unconventional in the medium...

...but, then again, given the number of folks tripping over themselves to insist that "Games AREN'T art! They're PRODUCT! I don't WANT them to be art if it means stuff like this!!!" recently, maybe everyone else will be okay with that; while I just get used to the ever-clearer realization that my remaining actively-engaged in the modern gaming scene is becoming an act of masochism.

It's basically what Crocodile Dippy said, and I understand where they are both coming from... Yeah, video games are a different medium, but you have to have SOME creative standards.

Patching a game to that degree is insulting and wrong. You don't get second chances with a game. Gamers should just suck it up and invest their time in a better game anyway.

And Dippy, you're one to talk, being such a fanboy of Valve.

>implying I've ever said otherwise

I'm not even sure what that has to do with anything, since I was just trying to make a point. Your comment added nothing to the discussion and was made simply to talk shit about Call of Duty again. You even admitted it yourself.

Loganofan20 said:
Since when does that happen?
When does it ever happen with Call of Duty?

But just to humour you, yes, there are a tremendous amount of people disillusioned with Nintendo who still buy their games in hopes that this is the one that restores their faith, only to be disappointed yet again, repeat. Many in this very community.

RandomGuy said:
Is there anything really wrong with the ending?
It was kind of shit, but there's so much worse out there.

Crocodile Dippy said:
Loganofan20 said:
As a matter of fact I met someone just the other night who claimed that he wasn't going to but the next CoD.

Good for you! You're still not seeing my point at all and are also ignoring slightly more valid parts of my posts, but now I feel like an idiot for humouring you like this. Stop posting if you aren't going to contribute anything to the main discussion.

Smashgoom202 said:
Okay, MovieBob (The Game Overthinker) basically had this addendum to say, in addition to his latest episode on the ending

<quote>

It's basically what Crocodile Dippy said, and I understand where they are both coming from... Yeah, video games are a different medium, but you have to have SOME creative standards.
I've been keeping a close watch on his videos on the subject, since he usually knows what's going on when it comes to gaming issues. It's equal parts hilarious and depressing seeing the rage in the comments for his ME3 vids, tho; I have never seen anyone get this mad at Peter Molyneaux for promising the world and delivering only Nauru and a few Kiribati atolls, which is pretty much the same thing that BioWare have done but Molyneaux's case is arguably more drastic and certainly more consistent. I don't quite get the double standard here.

Nabber said:
Crocodile Dippy said:
Loganofan20 said:
As a matter of fact I met someone just the other night who claimed that he wasn't going to but the next CoD.
And I subscribe to GameInformer (thanks to my Gamestop membership), which frequently gets mail about how CoD has gone down the drain.

Back