Should they take God off our money?

Post-Damage Invincibility

LET ME COME BACK TO THE 'SHROOM!
Banned User
I don't think they should even though I'm an atheist.

It's probably better that they don't. This way we can keep correcting people who think "In God We Trust" has always been on our money. Quick, easy way to embarrass the far-right.

When the majority of people don't believe in God in this country, then it will come off. But until then, the majority rules. In 200 years, maybe we'll be there.

No. That just seems sinful.

You know you're not supposed to put money on the ground because it has god's name on it? Sounds like a good excuse to pick up spare change on the parking lot floor.

Post-Damage Invincibility said:
When the majority of people don't believe in God in this country, then it will come off. But until then, the majority rules. In 200 years, maybe we'll be there.
Why would you believe this and also claim to be an atheist...?

New Super Mario said:
You know you're not supposed to put money on the ground because it has god's name on it? Sounds like a good excuse to pick up spare change on the parking lot floor.
Oh man that sounds scary. Good thing Australian currency only says "Elizabeth II" on it!

New Super Mario said:
That doesn't make any sense... what would happen if a armored truck carrying mounds of coins got wrecked and they spilled everywhere? Would it be sacrilege to remove them?

If I drop a $100 bill on the ground and write "GOD" on it, does it make it sacred?

If I put a check on the ground for $1,000,000 and put "GOD" on it, is it wrong to pick it up?

Yes it is Javelin. If you do that you'll be a child of the devil.

I don't think it really matters, since money might be goods gift but shouldn't be what you remember him by.

I mean its nice and all I guess, and a tradition for the founding status of America, but I don't think it matters if its on our money.

There are better things to remember God by.

I'm a Christian and I don't care whether they put God's name on money, and if I became an atheist tomorrow I still wouldn't care. It's just money. It doesn't affect what I believe. Who cares what's on it as long as you can use it to buy something?

Well, God's addition in money and the pledge of allegiance was actually a Cold War result. It's supposed to be comfort during the tensions.

But, I don't really see a point in keeping it or removing it, but I don't want people use this as an excuse for supporting the merging of the church and state.

As much as I think it does not belong there (same with "Under God" in the pledge), it would be incredibly difficult to remove given the religious make-up of the U.S. Congress and because of the fact that it was put there by law (history shows that laws are not easily overturned). I'm also omitting the fact that the removal of "God" from the pledge/currency would piss off much of the voting population and would therefore effectively eliminate our current politicians from being reelected (probably why no one has openly run as an atheist), which is all they really care about these days.

This is pretty much how I feel about anything to do with religion and government: It's on the money, it's in the pledge. So what. No one's forcing anyone to worship anything. It's writing on a piece of paper. What do you care, as long as you can still buy stuff with it?

Drilbur said:
Remove God? That would just leave "In We Trust", and that wouldn't not make no sense.
It'll be the biggest game of blank-filling-in in history.

Mario4Ever said:
As much as I think it does not belong there (same with "Under God" in the pledge), it would be incredibly difficult to remove given the religious make-up of the U.S. Congress and because of the fact that it was put there by law (history shows that laws are not easily overturned). I'm also omitting the fact that the removal of "God" from the pledge/currency would piss off much of the voting population and would therefore effectively eliminate our current politicians from being reelected (probably why no one has openly run as an atheist), which is all they really care about these days.
Actually I have heard that there are congressmen who are telling atheist groups that they are supporting them. The catch? They can't say who they are.

Back