Do you ever get the hiccups?

Post-Damage Invincibility

LET ME COME BACK TO THE 'SHROOM!
Banned User
If so, what causes it in your case? And how do you remedy it?

I get hiccups randomly at times. How I "cure" it is to hold my breath while drinking water. That method works for me.

Big gulps of water always work for me. Holding my breath works less efficiently for when I can't be assed to get a glass of water.

So the glass of water method is a fool-proof "cure" to most people?

I think the glass of water prevents you from breathing for a short period of time (because of the epiglottis covering your trachea) and thus may be able to reset the diaphragm.

I dunno, I'm trying to draw conclusions from this

Baby Luigi said:
I think the glass of water prevents you from breathing for a short period of time (because of the epiglottis covering your trachea) and thus may be able to reset the diaphragm.

I dunno, I'm trying to draw conclusions from this
I don't get any of that. I think you're a lot smarter than I am.

Don't say that, everyone has different levels of intelligence

Anyway, what I'm saying is that your diaphragm, the muscle beneath the lungs, helps with the breathing. When it gets messed up (I forgot what causes), it causes hiccups. When you drink, you are unable to breathe because an epiglottis covers your windpipe to prevent food from going down there. Since you can't breathe when you're drinking, what I'm thinking is that it gives your diaphragm a chance to reset and rest.

I might be wrong, but that's my hypothesis there.

Baby Luigi said:
Don't say that, everyone has different levels of intelligence

Anyway, what I'm saying is that your diaphragm, the muscle beneath the lungs, helps with the breathing. When it gets messed up (I forgot what causes), it causes hiccups. When you drink, you are unable to breathe because an epiglottis covers your windpipe to prevent food from going down there. Since you can't breathe when you're drinking, what I'm thinking is that it gives your diaphragm a chance to reset and rest.

I might be wrong, but that's my hypothesis there.
Thank you I will try that next time

The question is invalid, as most people get the hiccups within their lifetime

Anyway I drink water to stop it, sometimes a spoonful of sugar.

Or spell Wisconsin backwards

I get them quite often. Sometimes I don't even notice I have them, but, when I do, they tend to go away. I actually kind of like having them, but when I notice them, they go away. :(

I usually get them when eating too fast. Now for some supposed cures for the hiccups.

Hold your breath for one minute.
Swallow a teaspoon of sugar.
Drink a glass of water slowly.
Drink water from the opposite side of the cup.
Have someone surprise you.
Breathe into a paper bag.
Give a forceful yank to your tongue.
Chew and swallow dry bread.
Put your knees up to your chest or lean forward.
Don't think about your hiccups.
Cover your head with a wastebasket and have someone beat on it.
Spit on a rock and then turn it over.
Wet a piece of red thread with your tongue, hang the thread from your forehead and look at it.
Suck on a slice of lemon.
Go for a walk in the sunshine.

Drilbur said:
I usually get them when eating too fast. Now for some supposed cures for the hiccups.

Hold your breath for one minute.
Swallow a teaspoon of sugar.
Drink a glass of water slowly.
Drink water from the opposite side of the cup.
Have someone surprise you.
Breathe into a paper bag.
Give a forceful yank to your tongue.
Chew and swallow dry bread.
Put your knees up to your chest or lean forward.
Don't think about your hiccups.
Cover your head with a wastebasket and have someone beat on it.
Spit on a rock and then turn it over.
Wet a piece of red thread with your tongue, hang the thread from your forehead and look at it.
Suck on a slice of lemon.
Go for a walk in the sunshine.
Some of those sound like good cures or possible cures, and some of them sound like total bullcrap!

The best ways I've found are:

1. Drinking water continuously. My theory is that since your mouth and throat are too busy digesting the water, they can't do the hiccup. It takes about thirty seconds of continuous drinking to get them to go away.

2. Holding your breath - not sure if this actually works, but I've tried it with mixed results in the past. Possibly the best option if there is no water available.

3. Getting surprised - an unreliable method, but pretty successful.

It just happens at random times for me. I usually stop them by holding my breath.

Not very often, I usually drink a lot of water to get rid of them.

Works most of the time.

Back