2011-12 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

Alright, so results from last night:

SOUTH:

#1 Kentucky 81, #8 Iowa State 71
#4 Indiana 63, #12 Virginia Commonwealth 61 (probably one of the best games of the tournament so far)
#3 Baylor 80, #11 Colorado 63

Kentucky will play Indiana, and Baylor will play the winner of the Xavier/Lehigh game (which is played tonight).

WEST:

#4 Louisville 59, #5 New Mexico 56 (sorry Bop)
#3 Marquette 62, #6 Murray State 53

Louisville will play the winner of the Michigan St./Saint Louis game, and Marquette will play the winner of the Florida/Norfolk State game.

EAST:

#1 Syracuse 75, #8 Kansas State 59
#4 Wisconsin 60, #5 Vanderbilt 57
#2 Ohio State 73, #7 Gonzaga 66

Syracuse will play Wisconsin, and Ohio State will play the winner of the Cincinnati/Florida State game.

MIDWEST:

No games were played yesterday. #1 North Carolina plays #8 Creighton, #12 South Florida plays #13 Ohio, #11 North Carolina State plays #3 Georgetown, and #10 Purdue plays #2 Kansas.

UPDATE: #11 NC State has upset #3 Georgetown to move onto the Sweet Sixteen. Score was 66 to 63.

Sharks Territory said:
Awesome game. NC State is a solid team.

I seriously think NC State has a chance against Kansas (IF Kansas beats Purdue, that is). They're a highly underrated team and they deserve a lot more credit - I mean, seriously, they only lost to UNC in the ACC tournament by two points.

UPDATE: #15 Norfolk State falls to #7 Florida in the third round. Score was 84 to 50. #15 Lehigh seems to be having an easy time against #10 Xavier so far in the first half though, having a lead as big as 15 points.

I heard that Michigan State beat Saint Louis and will play Louisville. Off-topic, shortly after that game finished, tornado sirens were heard nearby, but it was because a tornado warning was issued for Columbus, OH (where the game took place). Fortunately, nothing like that up here.

TheYoshiState said:
I heard that Michigan State beat Saint Louis and will play Louisville. Off-topic, shortly after that game finished, tornado sirens were heard nearby, but it was because a tornado warning was issued for Columbus, OH (where the game took place). Fortunately, nothing like that up here.

Yeah, Michigan State barely beat Saint Louis...

Also, #13 Ohio has beaten #12 South Florida, and Ohio will play #1 UNC in the Sweet Sixteen.

Results from last night:

EAST:

#6 Cincinnati 62, #3 Florida State 56

The four teams remaining the EAST region are #1 Syracuse, #4 Wisconsin, #6 Cincinnati, and #2 Ohio State. Syracuse will play Wisconsin, and Cincinnati will play Ohio State.

SOUTH:

#10 Xavier 70, #15 Lehigh 58

The four teams remaining in the SOUTH region are #1 Kentucky, #4 Indiana, #3 Baylor, and #10 Xavier. Kentucky will play Indiana in a historic rematch, and Baylor will play Xavier.

MIDWEST:

#11 N.C. State 66, #3 Georgetown 63

#1 North Carolina 87, #8 Creighton 73

#13 Ohio 62, #12 South Florida 56

#2 Kansas 63, #10 Purdue 60 (another one of the best games of the tournament so far)

The four teams remaining in the MIDWEST region are #1 North Carolina, #13 Ohio, #11 N.C. State, and #2 Kansas. North Carolina will play Ohio, and N.C. State will play Kansas (I'm expecting this game to be another one of the best in the tournament).

WEST:

#1 Michigan State 65, #9 Saint Louis 61

#7 Florida 84, #15 Norfolk State 50

The four teams remaining in the WEST region are #1 Michigan State, #4 Louisville, #3 Marquette, and #7 Florida. Michigan State will play Louisville, and Marquette will play Florida.

I'm really hoping for Ohio and/or N.C. State to pull off major shockers against their opponents (UNC and Kansas respectively).

Sorry for double-posting, but I thought I'd say this:

#1 Syracuse has beaten #4 Wisconsin, 64-63. Syracuse is, so far, the only #1 team to move on to the Elite Eight. #1 Michigan State is currently having a hard time with #4 Louisville, so we might see the first #1 seed to drop out of the tournament by the end of the night. Syracuse will play the winner of the Cincinnati/Ohio State game, played tonight as well.

MAJOR UPDATE: #1 Michigan St. has fallen to #4 Louisville in the Sweet Sixteen; score was 57-44. Louisville will play the winner of the Marquette/Florida game. Again, the first #1 team has fallen.

2ND MAJOR UPDATE: #2 Ohio State has beaten #6 Cincinnati, 81-66. Syracuse will play Ohio State in the Elite Eight, and it'll seem that Louisville will most likely be playing #7 Florida in the Elite Eight as Florida leads Marquette 58-49 with 3:27 left in the second half (Marquette's been playing horribly)...

3RD MAJOR UPDATE: And #7 Florida has knocked out #3 Marquette, 68-58 (a stupid controversial call probably cost Marquette the game, since the ref's didn't call a flagrant foul on one of Florida's players sometime around the 2 minute mark in the second half when Marquette was only down I think by 6 or 8, and I can tell you, it was for sure a freaking flagrant foul -_-). Florida will play #4 Louisville in the Elite Eight.

I don't think Marquette would have come back even if they had called it, personally. Florida's entire team played well, and losing a single player wouldn't have done too much damage.

Sharks Territory said:
I don't think Marquette would have come back even if they had called it, personally. Florida's entire team played well, and losing a single player wouldn't have done too much damage.

It would have at least made the game somewhat closer, but you are right that Florida's entire team played well... I don't know what happened to Marquette, they just played horribly...

They played horribly last night too... I'm surprised that, out of any team on that side of the bracket, that it was Louisville who beat them (nothing against Louisville, I like them a lot, it's just that I would have thought somebody like Florida or Marquette would've beaten them instead of Louisville). They didn't exactly play very well against Saint Louis in the Round of 32 either...

Nothing against Michigan State, but I don't think they should have gotten a #1 seed. If anybody from the Big Ten Conference should've gotten a #1 seed, it should've been Ohio State (as much as I would love to say Indiana, I don't think they're there JUST yet). Michigan State should have gotten, at the most, a #2 seed (a #3 seed would have been fine too, but I think they deserve a #2 seed).

Saint Louis has been a great defensive team all year. If MSU had played that sort of offense against Saint Louis' defense, they wouldn't have scored more than 35.

Baylor is playing a good game against Xavier currently. Their uniforms are giving me retina burn, however.

#3 Baylor has beaten #10 Xavier, 75-70. Baylor will play the winner of the Kentucky/Indiana game.

#1 UNC and #13 Ohio are battling it out in an amazing game at the moment.

Ohio and UNC are going to overtime! 63-63.

MAJOR UPDATE: UNC has beaten Ohio in overtime, 73-65. UNC will play the winner of the Kansas/NC State game played tonight.

Yes, Ohio/UNC was great.

In other news, in the Midwest, Kansas narrowly beat NC State out due in part to some mental mistakes by NC State, and in the South, Kentucky advanced pretty easily over Indiana.

So #4 Louisville plays #7 Florida today, and #1 Syracuse plays #2 Ohio State today. I'm predicting Ohio State to beat Syracuse, but I have no idea who to pick for the Lousville/Florida game, though... both are great teams, it's just that Florida's had a pretty easy route (they blew Virginia and Norfolk St. away, and had a really easy time with Marquette, who played horribly).

Anybody think we'll lose any of the three remaining #1 seeds in the Elite Eight?

I'm predicting that Syracuse and UNC go down today. Kansas seems too deep for UNC without Barnes in there, and Jared Sullinger should have a field day on the boards with Fab Melo still out for Cuse. Florida should be able to make it, I believe. They've played with Kentucky, and I think they can play with any team out there at this point. They also have a very experienced team and a coach with multiple Final Fours and at least two National Championships on his resume. Kentucky should be able to make it past Baylor due mostly to depth and overall talent.

#4 Louisville came back on a massive run late in the second half to beat #7 Florida, 72-68. Absolutely great game, congrats to Louisville for making it to the Final Four.

MAJOR UPDATE: #2 Ohio State has beaten #1 Syracuse, 77-70! Ohio State moves onto the Final Four, and will play the winner of the UNC/Kansas game!

It is sad that SU is out now. The 2011-2012 season was that team's best one yet. But obviously, even if you have a perfect regular season, it takes only one loss in a tournament to ruin it all.

Back