The Lorax

Nosferatu Man said:
it's so hard to adapt Suess books to film
The live-action Grinch movie was fairly good.

(but then again that was completely because of Jim Carrey's hilarious lines)

Dr. Javelin said:
Nosferatu Man said:
it's so hard to adapt Suess books to film
The live-action Grinch movie was fairly good.

(but then again that was completely because of Jim Carrey's hilarious lines)
Ah-ha-ha-ha... NO! :mad:

...The only line I remembered actually laughing at, or really just snickered at, was when he went "NOW your DOOMED!" The inflection is what killed me. Other than that, I was annoyed to Hell and back by his weirdo antics...

In fact, that seems to be a thing with these Suess movies, taking a central character of the book and turning them into a spastic weirdo. You know, because kids love spastic weirdos they can laugh at or some shit.

Uh-oh

in a moment of weakness I have exposed my guilty pleasure

RUN

Come on, tell me the scene where he burns down the tree wasn't funny. Especially the bit at the end:

Whos: Good thing we have a spare! *bring out another tree just as big as the last one*
Grinch: Suffering snorkelblatz! They're relentless!

...It wasn't funny.

Wait, is it the scene where he jumps away from the explosion, like something out of any given Michael Bay movie?

...Yeah, it wasn't funny. :|

Dr. Javelin said:
Uh-oh

RUN

Come on, tell me the scene where he burns down the tree wasn't funny. Especially the bit at the end:

Whos: Good thing we have a spare! *bring out another tree just as big as the last one*

I thought that movie was funny (probably because I'm a huge Jim Carrey fan).

Boris Karloff just has a really great voice, so very sophisticated, and yet menacing when it can be...

Strange to think he initially earned his fame by playing a grunting, growling monster.

Mario4Ever said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Uh-oh

RUN

I liked The Grinch for what it was too. I surely know it's not a masterpiece. But nothing really stops me from enjoying the film nonetheless. I've had Guilty Pleasures before (Space Jam comes to mind), but I'd even admit The Grinch had something better going for it then Space Jam did.

Smashgoom202 said:
...It wasn't funny.

Wait, is it the scene where he jumps away from the explosion, like something out of any given Michael Bay movie?

Um, that was funny because it was mocking those movies, obviously.

lrn2parody
Mario4Ever said:
Me too. Jim Carrey is always great.
Northern Verve said:
I liked The Grinch for what it was too. I surely know it's not a masterpiece. But nothing really stops me from enjoying the film nonetheless. I've had Guilty Pleasures before (Space Jam comes to mind), but I'd even admit The Grinch had something better going for it then Space Jam did.
Yeah, no one says that the plot is great but the dialogue is definitely humorous.

Dr. Javelin said:

The way you describe it it sounds funny.

really i guess I shouldn't get to say whether I think it's bad or good 'cause all I've seen of it is the Nostalgia Critic review.

Dr. Javelin said:
Smashgoom202 said:
...It wasn't funny.

lrn2parody
Mmmm... NOPE! Still not funny! :yoshi:

He obviously has a different sense of humor than you

Nosferatu Man said:
Dr. Javelin said:

The way you describe it it sounds funny.

really i guess I shouldn't get to say whether I think it's bad or good 'cause all I've seen of it is the Nostalgia Critic review.
This is the part where bronies attack because you clearly haven't watched MLP either...

(note - that's a joke.)

(note - I hate adding these notes.)
Smashgoom202 said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Smashgoom202 said:
...It wasn't funny.

lrn2parody
I suppose ironic humor is for some and not for others.

Dr. Javelin said:
Smashgoom202 said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Smashgoom202 said:
...It wasn't funny.

lrn2parody
I suppose ironic humor is for some and not for others.
I don't mind ironic humor... It's just that I have a hard time telling ironic humor from people who are just playing it straight and just claiming to be "ironic". And besides, an explosion is NOT something I expect, nor do I want to see, in a Dr. Suess movie.

Excuse me for a moment, this bit of sarcasm is too delicious to pass up

OOH NO EXPLOSIONS

I THOUGHT THIS WAS A KID'S MOVIE

PLEASE I DON'T WANT MY CHILD TO SEE THIS

THIS SHOULD BE RATED PG-13 FOR EXPLOSIONS

Er, sorry about that. But seriously, what's wrong with explosions? Unless you're a Moral Guardian.

It's stupid, pointless, and serves NOTHING to the story at hand, on top of just not being all that funny. It's just an example that all Dr. Suess movies seem to do, they seem to pad the movie out with dumb pointless shit on top of the story that's already there, also better.

Honestly, I've been wanting to watch this movie.

Mainly because I'm an evironmentalist, "The Lorax" was my favorite Dr. Suess story, and the line of pure gold in one of the preview trailers "You wouldn't hit a woman, would you?" "That's a woman?!"

I wish it wasn't CGI though. I can't stand CGI humans. I'm okay with CGI animals/animal-like characters though.

Anything's better than live-action I guess.

Smashgoom202 said:
It's stupid, pointless, and serves NOTHING to the story at hand, on top of just not being all that funny. It's just an example that all Dr. Suess movies seem to do, they seem to pad the movie out with dumb pointless shit on top of the story that's already there, also better.

To be fair, it would have been pointless to rehash the half-hour-long special. In order to turn it into a feature-length film, they had to add to it (most notably, including the Grinch's childhood).

I guess that's why I hate it so much, there's already a much better version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

AND The Lorax.

And Horton Hears a Who.

And DEFINITELY a better version of The Cat in the Hat.

So really, why waste your time and money with these?

I guess it's only terrible and a waste of money/time to kids who actually grew up with Dr. Seuss stories.

Maybe the producers were just trying to aim towards a new generation.

Smashgoom202 said:
I guess that's why I hate it so much, there's already a much better version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

AND The Lorax.

And Horton Hears a Who.

And DEFINITELY a better version of The Cat in the Hat.

So really, why waste your time and money with these?
Geez, the only old TV special they need to ruin now is The Hoober-Bloob Highway, and I don't see how that could become a movie.

Well that's alright Smashgoom. Though if I want to see the original tale, I'd gladly see the original animated half-hour special. I'll do that, as they always have that on around Christmas time on Cartoon Network and such. But if I want to see a (in my opinion, mind you) hilarious performance by Jim Carrey as the Grinch with my family (My Mom and I think my Dad loves it just about as much as I do) I'll watch The Grinch. That movie has become one of our movies to watch just about every Christmas.

I'd actually rather watch The Grinch over all those stop-motion Christmas Movies they made long ago (Like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Santa Clause is Coming to Town)

....I suppose I'm going off-topic with talking about The Grinch. But I can't really say anything as I haven't seen The Lorax nor am I interested in really heading to the theaters for it :S

Northern Verve said:
Santa Clause is Coming to Town
A crossover between The Santa Clause and Santa Claus is Coming to Town, no?

Anyway, if Illumination or 20th Century Fox or Universal makes "Hoober-Bloob" a movie, I will officially lose it.

They'd probably get top 40 artists to sing the song. Could you imagine LMFAO singing "This is Your Life in West Watcha-ka Tella"?

Back