How do you prefer to play your platformer games?

UltraMario

Donkey Kong
I prefer to search every nook and cranny for enemies to defeat, items to collect (example: coins, rings, star bits, etc.), and extra lives. Even when it comes to Sonic games I stick to this preference, which is ironic because speed is the franchise's main gimmick. However, some games have you timed in a level (example: 2D Mario platformers, 2D Sonic platformers, etc.) which makes it difficult to do the things I mentioned previously.

I like more streamlined games.

I usually prefer to explore things out to see what the game's boundaries are, but this applies to most video games in general, but not normal platformers for some reason.

I am such an explorer/collector; it's ridiculous. I always want to look through the whole level and find ALL the things.

Yoshiwalker said:
I like to go through as fast as I can(or pretty fast) and then go back later and collect all the whatnot.

Mario4Ever said:
Yoshiwalker said:
I like to go through as fast as I can(or pretty fast) and then go back later and collect all the whatnot.
Also I always kill the enemies if they irritate me. It feels so satisfying to take down Hammer Bros on 8-3 in the original SMB...

A fine thread topic. I perfer to play my platformers with characters who names start with an M, an L, a D, a W, or a Y.

I like to explore with no time limit except in challenges like in SMG and SMG2. I also like trying to collect everything in one go like on Rayman Origins

Yoshiwalker said:

This. I finished the main point (eg. beat final boss) of every game I've gotten after my last birthday in two days.

Since I'm addicted to collecting everything in games, I must get 100% as early as possible.

And, while the above is always true, I also rush through all levels the first time I play them, because I hate it whenever things take too much time. Sure, the second time I go through it, then I'll explore every nook and cranny.

On the third time playing a game(yes, I replay games), I try to collect everything as fast as possible, because that is how I roll.

I beat the game, then I try for 100% completion. I also like to do tons of unnecessary combat rolls, if they're possible in the game I'm playing.

More like platformers [usually] play like ass when played with a keyboard.

Post-Damage Invincibility said:
A fine thread topic. I perfer to play my platformers with characters who names start with an M, an L, a D, a W, or a Y.
*facepalm*

I meant how do you like to progress through platformer games, not based on who you play as.

Back