How do you prefer to play your platformer games?

UltraMario

Donkey Kong
I prefer to search every nook and cranny for enemies to defeat, items to collect (example: coins, rings, star bits, etc.), and extra lives. Even when it comes to Sonic games I stick to this preference, which is ironic because speed is the franchise's main gimmick. However, some games have you timed in a level (example: 2D Mario platformers, 2D Sonic platformers, etc.) which makes it difficult to do the things I mentioned previously.

Bop1996

Power Star
Retired Wiki Staff
I usually prefer to explore things out to see what the game's boundaries are, but this applies to most video games in general, but not normal platformers for some reason.

schmutz

welcome to the hotel waluigi
I am such an explorer/collector; it's ridiculous. I always want to look through the whole level and find ALL the things.

Mario4Ever

A price for everything.
Retired Wiki Staff
Yoshiwalker said:
I like to go through as fast as I can(or pretty fast) and then go back later and collect all the whatnot.

Dr. Javelin

Nathan Latsk
Mario4Ever said:
Yoshiwalker said:
I like to go through as fast as I can(or pretty fast) and then go back later and collect all the whatnot.
Also I always kill the enemies if they irritate me. It feels so satisfying to take down Hammer Bros on 8-3 in the original SMB...

Post-Damage Invincibility

LET ME COME BACK TO THE 'SHROOM!
Banned User
A fine thread topic. I perfer to play my platformers with characters who names start with an M, an L, a D, a W, or a Y.

yoshidude99

Yoshidude is here
I like to explore with no time limit except in challenges like in SMG and SMG2. I also like trying to collect everything in one go like on Rayman Origins

SKmarioman

King Bowser
Yoshiwalker said:
This. I finished the main point (eg. beat final boss) of every game I've gotten after my last birthday in two days.

RandomYoshi

Sweden? More like Memeden.
Chat Operator
Retired Wiki Staff
Since I'm addicted to collecting everything in games, I must get 100% as early as possible.

And, while the above is always true, I also rush through all levels the first time I play them, because I hate it whenever things take too much time. Sure, the second time I go through it, then I'll explore every nook and cranny.

On the third time playing a game(yes, I replay games), I try to collect everything as fast as possible, because that is how I roll.

Ultraluigi

doing whatever since 2011
I beat the game, then I try for 100% completion. I also like to do tons of unnecessary combat rolls, if they're possible in the game I'm playing.

Pokemon DP

God I'm good at being an owl
Retired Wiki Staff
More like platformers [usually] play like ass when played with a keyboard.

Toad85

MarioKartRPG
I typically do some moderate exploring, as long as I don't have to go too far out of my way to do it.

UltraMario

Donkey Kong
Post-Damage Invincibility said:
A fine thread topic. I perfer to play my platformers with characters who names start with an M, an L, a D, a W, or a Y.
*facepalm*

I meant how do you like to progress through platformer games, not based on who you play as.