Bully (The Bully Project)

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff

Basically it's a documentary about people people who have been victims of being bullied.

Being a get who has been bullied and also unintentionally the bully (I was a really dumb kid and just did what others told me to do), I am in full support of this movie, and will most definitely go to see it when it comes out on March 30 this year.

I was first alerted of this movie when I came across this petition on change.org to change the rating of this movie from an "R" to "PG-13". Personally, I like that idea, because as a PG-13, it will be able to reach a wider audience and raise awareness that bullying is STILL a problem that hasn't been fixed yet. :mad:

If you want, you can sign the petition here:

http://www.change.org/petitions/mpaa-dont-let-the-bullies-win-give-bully-a-pg-13-instead-of-an-r-rating

The person who started the petition is a woman who's involved in this documentary, who was bullied herself, namely she was ganged up by 4 guys, called named and had a locker door slammed on her hand.

I mean, seriously, HOW do people get away with this shit?! Why is this still a problem?! Isn't anyone out there going to help these kids?!
 

Dr. Javelin

Nathan Latsk
okay i'm going to go out on a limb here and say

*inhale*

Bullying, in my experience, is as big a deal as you let it be. I mean seriously, you have a right to defend yourself if people are bullying you. What did I do through middle school? Instead of cowering in fear or picking suicide (really dumb people pick that option), I fought back. As in punching and stuff, yeah. They move on and go to other people.

So stand up for yourself, people.

(leaving now before people yell at me for being horribly biased, rude, naive, etc. this is just my opinion and probably does not apply to you, so don't take it as if I'm attacking all the victims.)
 

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
Well the thing is, we're taught NOT to fight back because, you know, violence isn't the answer, and besides, it's hard to argue about being verbally abused and picked on when all of a sudden the bully's the one with the black eye, not you.

Most of the bully victims are also a bit anti-social, or at the very least, don't have anyone to turn to to help them out. Maybe they don't think their parents or teachers would care about them. Maybe they come from bad backgrounds, or have something about themselves that keeps them from standing up for yourself. I tell you, the one time I stood up to someone picking on me, the guy ended up with a bruised nose, and I ended up with 2 days worth of detention.

Not to metion, it's hard to stand up for yourself when you're outnumbered, which is frequently the case with bullies. :-\

Also, they SHOULDN'T move onto other people. Bullying shouldn't exist at all. I mean, what's the point, anyway?

I'm not saying your horribly biased, rude, naive, etc., but it seems like you dont' fully understand the mindset of the people who are bullied. You have enough self-confidence and brawl, and lack of concern for your safety or others to actually FIGHT others, and as I've said before, violence SHOULDN'T solve problems, even though it does... Momentarily, until you're punished for fighting back and defending yourself. It just seems so backwards, like, how did we allow this kind of system to exist?!
 

Mario4Ever

A price for everything.
Retired Wiki Staff
Smashgoom202 said:
Well the thing is, we're taught NOT to fight back because, you know, violence isn't the answer, and besides, it's hard to argue about being verbally abused and picked on when all of a sudden the bully's the one with the black eye, not you.

Most of the bully victims are also a bit anti-social, or at the very least, don't have anyone to turn to to help them out. Maybe they don't think their parents or teachers would care about them. Maybe they come from bad backgrounds, or have something about themselves that keeps them from standing up for yourself. I tell you, the one time I stood up to someone picking on me, the guy ended up with a bruised nose, and I ended up with 2 days worth of detention.

Not to metion, it's hard to stand up for yourself when you're outnumbered, which is frequently the case with bullies. :-\
Did you get picked on by that person again?
 

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
Occasionaly, yeah. In fact, a lot of times I was picked on for being tall and overweight. It's like they were oblivious to the fact that I could possible kick their asses.

Although that guy in particular was more causious around me, as if he genuinely did not expect me to shove my desk in his face.

Either way, the whole experience taught me that fighting back was wrong and I'll be punished for it, and yet aside from his nose hurting, the got pretty much got away with it and then came back for more, probably assuming I was too much of a wuss to do it again.

And he was right. :-\
 

Magikrazy

Donkey Kong
Bullying isn't usually a problem with me, as I usually just say something back. For example:

Some person: You're short!
Me: And...?
9/10 times, there is no response back!

Some person: You're gay!
Me: I am indeed very happy.
Usually, they are left dumbfounded.
 

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
Evil Magikrazy said:
Bullying isn't usually a problem with me, as I usually just say something back. For example:

Some person: You're short!
Me: And...?
9/10 times, there is no response back!

Some person: You're gay!
Me: I am indeed very happy.
Usually, they are left dumbfounded.
When my friends during middle school used the word "gay", I thought they meant "happy", I totally did not realize it meant "homosexual". Whenever I used the word "gay" they laughed, and looking back they seemed to laugh at me more than with me. I didn't understand why they giggled like school girls every time I used that word.

Now I know. And I feel like they teased me stupidity for not realizing all the adult slag that was commonplace back then. Hell, I didn't even know what "balls" meant back then, other than... you know, balls. They laughed at that, too! It's like everyone was in on the joke except me!
 

Puddin

eat the rich
I was bullied a lot in school. It was really "bully or be bullied" because the only years I wasn't bulled was when I was picking on other kids. I really had to make that choice every time I moved to a new school. (EDIT: I now heavily regret the times I made the choice to bully other kids.) What follows is some very personal information about my worst bullying experience.

In seventh grade my teachers and principal sided with the bullies and tried to get me expelled, claiming I was hiding a hit list in my backpack. They searched my backpack and they didn't find one (duh) but they didn't get off my back until a family member of mine came and convinced the principal to back off. The full story is longer and more complicated then that, but the bottom line is that I was innocent, and the principal had no right to drill me like that, especially since she continued when she knew she had no proof.
 

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
What, was the bully bribing the teachers and principal?

But that's the point I was trying to get at! Sometimes, other than family and REALLY close friends, there's no one to turn to when you're bullied, it's just so unfair!
 

Magikrazy

Donkey Kong
The reason a lot of people don't tell on other bullies is because it's usually shown that the bully seeks revenge on the tattler.

Source: Everybody Hates Chris
 

BEEEEEAAARRRS

how about a rousing game of pool
Smashgoom202 said:
violence isn't the answer
Yet in the real world it seems its often the necessary solution to other bigger-problem bullies so

Evil Magikrazy said:
The reason a lot of people don't tell on other bullies is because it's usually shown that the bully seeks revenge on the tattler.

Source: Everybody Hates Chris
You needed a tv show to confirm that?
 

Lily x

Goodbye
I was bullied for three years for being a fat loser. It stopped when my dad gor involved and told the school about how they called me a fat bitch when I was with my parents in a shopping centre. It's ok now. I show my personality and people respect me for it.
 

Dr. Javelin

Nathan Latsk
BEEEEEAAARRRS said:
Smashgoom202 said:
violence isn't the answer
Yet in the real world it seems its often the necessary solution to other bigger-problem bullies so
Exactly. Violence is a perfectly acceptable solution in certain instances.

I doubt Nazi Germany was just going to stop the Holocaust and give back France and Poland if we simply went to them and sang Kumbaya.

I mean seriously, what is the deal pacifists. You would still be part of the British Empire if it wasn't for wars. Who knows, the US could even have been a part of the Axis powers.

(I'm debating whether it would have been Japan or Germany to take over the US)
 

Scarecrow von Steuben

I'm very friendly.
Dr. Javelin said:
okay i'm going to go out on a limb here and say

*inhale*

Bullying, in my experience, is as big a deal as you let it be. I mean seriously, you have a right to defend yourself if people are bullying you. What did I do through middle school? Instead of cowering in fear or picking suicide (really dumb people pick that option), I fought back. As in punching and stuff, yeah. They move on and go to other people.

So stand up for yourself, people.

(leaving now before people yell at me for being horribly biased, rude, naive, etc. this is just my opinion and probably does not apply to you, so don't take it as if I'm attacking all the victims.)
oh hey you're one of those guys hey guess what FUCK YOU

Anybody who says that like it's so easy to just beat the shit out of people who bully you has either never been bullied or is a total fucking idiot, perhaps both.

The kids at my old school were macho idiots who thought that being intelligent meant you were a ******. The teachers were nice, but with the exception of a few, just didn't care. In fourth grade I fought back once while being bullied, hey, I'm sure the bully would leave me alone now, right? Fuck no! I got the shit beaten out of me and got in massive trouble. A happy ending!

Yeah, this bullshit doesn't work for anyone. Go watch some Amazing Atheist videos, he's the only person who's enough of a dick to agree with you on this.

also, you are horrible biased/rude/etc., just so you know
 

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
BEEEEEAAARRRS said:
Smashgoom202 said:
violence isn't the answer
Yet in the real world it seems its often the necessary solution to other bigger-problem bullies so
Let me rephrase that... violence SHOULDN'T be the answer. I can understand when it's absolutely necessary, like with the Nazis. Hell, they TRIED using diplomacy, but all that did was make the good guys look like idiots for trusting someone who is basically Satan with a toothbrush mustache.
 

Puddin

eat the rich
Nosferatu Man said:
oh hey you're one of those guys hey guess what FUCK YOU

Anybody who says that like it's so easy to just beat the shit out of people who bully you has either never been bullied or is a total fucking idiot, perhaps both.

[---]

Yeah, this bullshit doesn't work for anyone. [---]

also, you are horrible biased/rude/etc., just so you know


I really don't know what to say other than "I agree." Bullying is a big problem and the only ones who don't seem to understand are the actual ones doing the bullying.

However, as someone who was bullied in school, things like Cartoon Network's "TOGETHER WE CAN END BULLYING" don't seem to really do anything to stop the problem. People would give anti-bullying lectures at my school but as soon as they left, the kids would go at it again.

Then again, I don't support the anti-bullying documentary getting an R rating.
 

MnSG

Cosmic Beauty
I was bullied during my public schooling years too. However, the bullying stopped before I became a sophomore at my high school.

Anyway, a lot of families need to be aware of what bullying can do to people. And the key to doing that is to give Bully the PG-13 rating; as long as a movie is rated PG-13 or lower, it can be seen in public schools without requiring approval from a parent or guardian.
 

Toad85

MarioKartRPG
Dr. Javelin said:
I mean seriously, what is the deal pacifists. You would still be part of the British Empire if it wasn't for wars. Who knows, the US could even have been a part of the Axis powers.
Or we could be like Canada, get our independence peacefully, and not give a *bleep* about what other countries could fight over themselves.

Psh, typical Republican.
 

Dr. Javelin

Nathan Latsk
Peter Sam said:
Dr. Javelin said:
I mean seriously, what is the deal pacifists. You would still be part of the British Empire if it wasn't for wars. Who knows, the US could even have been a part of the Axis powers.
Or we could be like Canada, get our independence peacefully, and not give a *bleep* about what other countries could fight over themselves.
America is too resource-rich to simply sit there isolated from everything.

Look at Switzerland. Isolation is possible for them because 1. geographic boundaries (swiss alps) and 2. there isn't any thing that valuable in Switzerland, except for Swiss vaults.
 

Toad85

MarioKartRPG
Dr. Javelin said:
Peter Sam said:
Dr. Javelin said:
I mean seriously, what is the deal pacifists. You would still be part of the British Empire if it wasn't for wars. Who knows, the US could even have been a part of the Axis powers.
Or we could be like Canada, get our independence peacefully, and not give a *bleep* about what other countries could fight over themselves.
America is too resource-rich to simply sit there isolated from everything.

Look at Switzerland. Isolation is possible for them because 1. geographic boundaries (swiss alps) and 2. there isn't any thing that valuable in Switzerland, except for Swiss vaults.
Canada's resource-rich. Did you hear me mention Canada?
 

Koopayoshi

Shine Sprite
The thing about bullying in my school is that you could either beat the kid up(which will get you in trouble) or you could tell a teacher (whch will result with them calling you a wuss and letting them bully even more) Personally, I frigging don't know what to do.
 

Scarecrow von Steuben

I'm very friendly.
Koopa Kid said:
The thing about bullying in my school is that you could either beat the kid up(which will get you in trouble) or you could tell a teacher (whch will result with them calling you a wuss and letting them bully even more) Personally, I frigging don't know what to do.
Insult Dr. Javelin for trivializing your situation. It'll make you feel better.
 

Dr. Javelin

Nathan Latsk
Nosferatu Man said:
Koopa Kid said:
The thing about bullying in my school is that you could either beat the kid up(which will get you in trouble) or you could tell a teacher (whch will result with them calling you a wuss and letting them bully even more) Personally, I frigging don't know what to do.
Insult Dr. Javelin for trivializing your situation. It'll make you feel better.
Insulting me makes almost everything feel better. I should patent it as Javelin Therapy.

(don't worry I don't mind insults)
 
Top