ATTN: Scarecrow

Verbal Rhythm

Shine Sprite
Vinyl Scratch said:
Nosferatu Man said:
Vinyl Scratch said:
Is it obsession? Making music about something you like?
How exactly can anybody wring more than three or four good songs out of a show about sparkly ponies originally aimed at, well, little girls? (not counting Melting Pot of Alcohol which is the greatest song ever).

(and before you start ripping me apart, no, i'm not saying only little girls can enjoy it).
Someone else could probably say this better than me, but most of the songs are about a single character, and there's a wide variety of characters from the show.

Like this song is about one character, which appeared in only one episode.

EDIT: Maybe we should take this discussion to a new thread, we're getting off-topic.
 

Scarecrow von Steuben

I'm very friendly.
Yeah, I guess. I just find it odd. I've never seen a ton of music dedicated to, say, Harry Potter, or the Lord of the Rings, or any other popular fiction.
 

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
I do find the huge amount of pony music interesting. Especially the one where there are actual singers.
 

Verbal Rhythm

Shine Sprite
Nosferatu Man said:
Yeah, I guess. I just find it odd. I've never seen a ton of music dedicated to, say, Harry Potter, or the Lord of the Rings, or any other popular fiction.
There's also the fact that there's a lot songs in the show.

Do the characters in Harry Potter and LotR sing songs in their movies?
 

Pokemon DP

God I'm good at being an owl
Retired Wiki Staff
I've always disliked lyrical remixes of instrumental music; most fan-lyrics about these sorts of series have a habit of being incredibly melodramatic, hyperbole and full of the fan's personal fetishes and desires for whichever character the song is supposed to be about. Considering MLP is just a slice-of-life show about talking ponies aimed at little girls, it seems weird to me that anyone would make a song "analyzing" the characters that really aren't meant to be deep, meaningful or philosophical at all.

I'm not great and powerful
Like I said I was
All I needed was a friend
I didn't mean to hurt anyone
No one seemed to care
With their sneering glances
All I ask is for another try
Everypony needs second chances

So lonely I've been travelling
Across all of Equestria
There's nowhere that I fit in
They'll call me a fake, and I'll move on
So give me one more chance
I'll show you I'm not who I was
All I ask of you is to let me come back
I'm feeling so lonely because
I mean really, this shit just really doesn't fit the show at all.
 

Verbal Rhythm

Shine Sprite
^It almost feels like you look for ways to hate on ponies (You posted in the MJ Pony thread). Also, I think that song fits that character.

EDIT: What I'm saying is that I could hate Homestuck, but I'm not going to be an idiot and post everywhere "This is the gayest thing in the universe." (I don't hate Homestuck btw)
 

SonicMario

Star Spirit
I don't think that's what exactly DP is doing. He's just saying that he doesn't think all this stuff like fan-music should be done for a show like this. While I disagree with his opinion on the show and the characters themselves. As at least for the Main 6 I believe they're the deepest characters you can find in recent cartoon history. He hasn't really gone as far as saying his dislike in every thread.
 

Pokemon DP

God I'm good at being an owl
Retired Wiki Staff
I actually based a lot of that post on my experiences with Touhou fan music. I can't stand the lyrical remixes because they're always memes, melodramatic or "dark and edgy", over-the-top bubbly and cutesy (which ties back into the memes), or are just plain poorly written, and I think it's really pointless and a waste of time for a series that lacks the kind of depth and complexity that would warrant actual serious observations of their character and inner thoughts. I mean it's just Japanese girls shooting magic laser beams at each other, y'know?

Instrumental is fine by me - I love Metroid Metal just as much as the next guy - but I just think writing "introspective" lyrics for something so simple and safe is the sort of thing most people would reserve for ironic comedy, not serious music.

but then I'm a musical elitist, so feel free to throw my opinions in the nearest bin if you so wish !!
 

Pokemon DP

God I'm good at being an owl
Retired Wiki Staff
Yeah, that's Touhou. Except for the song. It's a convincing tune, tho; very much in the ZUN style.
 

Verbal Rhythm

Shine Sprite
FOOL, I tricked you into listening to pony music! That tune is actually a remix of this, with only the beginning sounding like the original "Winter Wrap Up":
 

Dr. Javelin

Nathan Latsk
I'm just going to say that making music out of TV shows, movies, or games is rather lame in my opinion, regardless of the genre.

So no, I don't just dislike MLP fan music, I also dislike Mario fan music and fan music for other games I like.
 

Scarecrow von Steuben

I'm very friendly.
Vinyl Scratch said:
^It almost feels like you look for ways to hate on ponies
He's not hating on ponies, he's hating on the creepier pony fanatics.

Vinyl Scratch said:
Do the characters in Harry Potter and LotR sing songs in their movies?
No, but the Harry Potter fandom is notoriously stupid, so instead of making songs or whatever they've been screaming at each other over the internet about shipping.

I'm glad that MLP seems to be bringing out a creative streak in people, but I don't quite get why it's this that's doing it. It's quite a sophisticated cartoon and I think we need more like it but the fact that people are this obsessed with it is kind of weird. I mean, Phineas and Ferb is another extremely intelligent cartoon with a large following among teenagers and adults, but I don't see the same sort of fanaticism for it.

I'd also like to point out that the obsession is doing far more to hurt bronies than help them- I can't speak for everyone, but the more I hear about it the less interested I am in watching it, and the more obnoxious the fandom is the more likely it becomes that, soon enough, nobody who isn't already a brony will want to be one.
 

Dr. Javelin

Nathan Latsk
Nosferatu Man said:
I'd also like to point out that the obsession is doing far more to hurt bronies than help them
The same thing applies for all fandoms, not just MLP. Homestuck fanaticism?

I mean seriously, how can someone not be unnerved by psychotic fans of something?
 

Scarecrow von Steuben

I'm very friendly.
Dr. Javelin said:
Nosferatu Man said:
I'd also like to point out that the obsession is doing far more to hurt bronies than help them
The same thing applies for all fandoms, not just MLP. Homestuck fanaticism?

I mean seriously, how can someone not be unnerved by psychotic fans of something?
Homestuck and MLP are the most prevalent examples on the internet as of late. Coincidentally, both are things that I used to be interested in until the rabid fans made me want to have nothing to do with them.


And I'm not bashing all MLP or Homestuck fans here, or even most of them. I've got nothing against people expressing their love of a tv show or webcomic or whatever.

But when your love of a cartoon or webcomic is your defining trait, that's when you've got a problem.
 

Verbal Rhythm

Shine Sprite
Nosferatu Man said:
Phineas and Ferb is another extremely intelligent cartoon with a large following among teenagers and adults.
From what I remember, in almost every episode, Phineas and Ferb do some project, Candace tries to tell mom, and whatever Doofensmirtz and Perry do causes the boys' project to disappear.

Also, since you said you like "Melting Pot of Alcohol", do you listen to Alex S.'s other songs? If so, do you recognize the song in the background?
 

Scarecrow von Steuben

I'm very friendly.
Vinyl Scratch said:
Nosferatu Man said:
Phineas and Ferb is another extremely intelligent cartoon with a large following among teenagers and adults.
From what I remember, in almost every episode, Phineas and Ferb do some project, Candace tries to tell mom, and whatever Doofensmirtz and Perry do causes the boys' project to disappear.
Yeah, but it's also genuinely funny, and filled with running jokes and a fairly intricate continuity.

I dunno, I've only seen a few episodes, this is just what I've heard/seen from those.

Vinyl Scratch said:
Also, since you said you like "Melting Pot of Alcohol", do you listen to Alex S.'s other songs? If so, do you recognize the song in the background?
1. I've heard a few, but "Melting Pot of Alcohol" is my hands-down favorite.

2. Bwahahahaha, that's pretty awesome. Did not know they played Alex S at grocery stores :D
 

Dr. Javelin

Nathan Latsk
Nosferatu Man said:
Vinyl Scratch said:
Nosferatu Man said:
Phineas and Ferb is another extremely intelligent cartoon with a large following among teenagers and adults.
From what I remember, in almost every episode, Phineas and Ferb do some project, Candace tries to tell mom, and whatever Doofensmirtz and Perry do causes the boys' project to disappear.
Yeah, but it's also genuinely funny, and filled with running jokes and a fairly intricate continuity.
The running jokes are what makes that show hilarious. I can say I still laugh every time Doofensmirtz adds the obligatory "Inator" to the end of his devices.

Also there's no crazy fans or haters.
 
Dr. Javelin said:
Nosferatu Man said:
Vinyl Scratch said:
Nosferatu Man said:
Phineas and Ferb is another extremely intelligent cartoon with a large following among teenagers and adults.
From what I remember, in almost every episode, Phineas and Ferb do some project, Candace tries to tell mom, and whatever Doofensmirtz and Perry do causes the boys' project to disappear.
Yeah, but it's also genuinely funny, and filled with running jokes and a fairly intricate continuity.
The running jokes are what makes that show hilarious. I can say I still laugh every time Doofensmirtz adds the obligatory "Inator" to the end of his devices.

Also there's no crazy fans or haters.
The whole idea of the show is to put a different spin on each running joke each time.
 

N64Dude

Katyusha best Girls Und Panzer Girl
he is Cowbeb on Fantendo
 

Smasher

Smasher
Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
I'm just curious N64Dude, why does that matter?
 
Top