Avatar: The Last Airbender + Legend of Korra

If you could choose what kind of Bender you'd be. What element would you choose?

• Waterbender

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Earthbender

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Firebender

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Airbender

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Non-Bender

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
ernesth100 said:
I'm not homophobic. I go to my best friends house every week. His brother is gay(but he's an adult). I don't have a problem with that. Just this is...uncomfortable. I can't quite wrap my head around why the creators had to pander to the Korrasami shippers. It's so...irregular.
Well sorry to break it to you, but saying that homosexuality is some innapropriate thing which kids should not be exposed to sounds pretty homophobic to me...

Why? They're adults like your friend's gay brother, so what's the problem?

Whether kids who see the show end up gay or not has nothing to do with the show: sexual orientation isn't a choice, it's just what you are. If anything, the show telling kids that it's okay for two fictional 20-something women to fall in love is a good thing. Every little bit of acceptance in the media, especially family-oriented media, is a good thing: it's chipping away at the ridiculous idea that kids can't handle same-sex partnerships, when really, kids only react poorly to homosexuality if they've been taught to react poorly by bigoted adults who were themselves taught to hate. It's a terrible cycle, and anything that fights against it should be celebrated.

Besides, if you're worried that Korra and Asami holding hands and gazing lovingly into each-opthers' eyes is gonna get young girls imitating them, then you must be horrified about all the kissing the straight couples do - there's even a marriage: uh oh, all the little children are gonna be rushing towards the alter now.

The creators aren't pandering to the fans: they had the idea to maybe have them end up together even before the show aired. What the creators are doing is showing support for the gay community and trying to fight the exact sort of ignorance and intolerance currently dribbling out of your mouth.

ernesth100 said:
This is not something you should marketing towards kids.
where were you when korra had ptsd, or when zaheer removed the air from the earth queen, or when a dictator unleashed a superweapon upon millions of people in republic city

ernesth100 said:
I'm all for same gender couples.
if someones daughter ... thought it was okay to be in love with another girl ... [that] wouldn't be such a good thing then would it.
you have an interested definition of being "all for" something, by the way

just because you say gay people can exist does not mean you're not homophobic. if you think that people should be sheltered from same-sex couples but not from straight couples, you have a double standard and are homophobic.

ernesth100 said:
Not just people in general. I just think KIDS should be sheltered from same sex couples until their old enough to make their own decisions.
first of all, korra is not a kids show. it was aired on a channel that had kid viewers, but the show itself was very much an adult show.

second of all, are you implying it's wrong for kids to think same-sex couples are okay until they're older?

Nabber said:
ernesth100 said:
Not just people in general. I just think KIDS should be sheltered from same sex couples until their old enough to make their own decisions.
first of all, korra is not a kids show. it was aired on a channel that had kid viewers, but the show itself was very much an adult show.

second of all, are you implying it's wrong for kids to think same-sex couples are okay until they're older?
That is exactly what I'm implying.

That's homophobic.

Kids don't need to be "sheltered" from gay relationships anymore than they they need to be sheltered from straight relationships. Seeing the odd gay couple amongst the multitudes of straight couples isn't going to warp their little minds in some sinister way, just show them a little diversity. Like how shows (for any age group) often make a point of having different genders, races and religions represented.

ernesth100 said:
Nabber said:
ernesth100 said:

That is exactly what I'm implying.
so you're saying that kids should think that same-sex couples are wrong. that is to say, you're homophobic.

there's no "decision" with being gay. you can't decide a sexuality. if you tell kids that same-sex couples are wrong, what ends up happening is kids who are gay will grow up thinking that there's something wrong with them and will suffer emotional stress/trauma.

But why discriminate against same-sex relationships? Why not just say there shouldn't be relationships at all in kid's shows?

(Ignoring the fact that TLoK isn't actually a kids show and depicts people of a completely appropriate age to be worrying about relationships, of course.)

Guys, don't gang up on him. That's his opinion. I don't fully understand it, but he has the right to say it without people telling him it's wrong.

Purple Yoshi said:
Guys, don't gang up on him. That's his opinion. I don't fully understand it, but he has the right to say it without people telling him it's wrong.
Thank you!
Infact lets get off this topic in general how would you guys feel about another avatar mini series.

Purple Yoshi said:
you're not entitled to an opinion if said opinion is harmful to people

Nabber said:
Purple Yoshi said:
But I keep it to myself and donlt use it to harm people. I don't go around pointing out that same sex couples are wrong. Atleast not in public.

ernesth100 said:
Nabber said:
Purple Yoshi said:
But I keep it to myself and donlt use it to harm people. I don't go around pointing out that same sex couples are wrong. Atleast not in public.

I don't know, isn't that exactly what you've been doing here?

Here, I'm not Walkazo or Nabber, I won't pretend to be polite.

Contrary to what your ancient, bigoted beliefs may make you think, homosexuality is a natural part of life for many people. It's not a "choice", there are multitudes of damning evidence showing that people are born with their respective sexualities. Two dudes hugging or two girls holding hands isn't going to be something that warps children into monstrosities- if anything, seeing a lack of that and then only seeing it in later life will make them act like how you are now- saying that's strange, unnatural, or even wrong.

You know, saying things like that about gay people sounds awfully homophobic to me. Why weren't you mad about there being romance at all? What about the children, the poor, impressionable children!? What if they try to bend the air out of their mothers, or lightningbend!??!?!?

You're a homophobe. Pure, plain and simple. There is no arguing this fact. If you'd like to continue being a homophobe, by all means, continue- you have every right.

But don't cry when you get called out on it, because just as you have the right to condemn the icky gays, I have the right to call you out on your shit.

Purple Yoshi said:
Also, no. If you're parading around acting like a homophobic asshole, you're gonna get called a homophobic asshole, and you're gonna deal with it.

Contra(dictory) said:
I don't know, isn't that exactly what you've been doing here?
No, in public is in real life. I can say/think whatever I want here on the internet though. I guess I'm an Online Homophobe or something along those lines because I've met/hung out with alot of homosexual people in real life. My aunt WHOM I LIVE WITH is a lesbian. But I don't have a problem with that.

the internet is not a magical place that's separate from real life. computers exist in real life. almost everyone is on the internet. people can see what you can say, and your opinions are not safe from criticism. being on the internet is not, despite what many people would believe, an excuse for being an asshole.

just because you know gay people doesn't mean you're not a homophobe. if you view and treat gay people as fundamentally different from straight people - for instance, saying that it's okay to have straight people on tv but not gay people - then you are homophobic. that's the bottom line.

ernesth100 said:
No, in public is in real life. I can say/think whatever I want here on the internet though.

Too perfect for words.
I guess I'm an Online Homophobe or something along those lines

You're just a "homophobe", sorry.

because I've met/hung out with alot of homosexual people in real life. My aunt WHOM I LIVE WITH is a lesbian. But I don't have a problem with that.

But you do have a problem with them getting fair and equal representation in the media. That's homophobic. You are a person with homophobic beliefs. You are, in layman's terms, a homophobe.

addendum:
If you don't like being called a homophobe, you should maybe consider reevaluating yourself and your beliefs until you're no longer one. Even if you're only kind of a homophobe and not, say, a member of Westboro, being kind of a homophobe is still being a homophobe.

Back