Avatar: The Last Airbender + Legend of Korra

If you could choose what kind of Bender you'd be. What element would you choose?

• Waterbender

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Earthbender

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Firebender

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Airbender

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Non-Bender

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
The episode where Korra has Aang flashbacks is gr8.

"Toph I'm 40 now could you please stop with the nickname?"

"No."

Ammon, or however it's spelled, is still a great villain.

Also at the end of Episode 10 some guy called Iroh just showed up and he has the same german voice actor as Zuko.

this gon b gud.

iroh has the same English voice actor as zuko too

and I'm assuming it's the same in all other dubs

Korra Book 1 gets the official seal of approval.

It's not tla book 3 but it's about on book 2 levels, especially because of its virtual lack of filler episodes.

It kiiiinda didn't make sense that she learned how to bend air after Novatak (or Ammon or w/e) stole her bending powers.

It also doesn't really make sense how he's using blood bending to permanently strip somebody's bending powers.

Aang with a beard looks fucking weird.

Plus the whole Talok blowing their ship up stuff was uh

I did not expect that

at all

so yeah it was a pretty high quality season all in all. Well worthy follow-up to tla book 3.

lol if book 2 really is as bad as everyone says I'll laugh.

in my opinion the seasons each got progressively better but i still thought they were all terrible

honestly season 2 would probably be my favorite not because i thought it was high quality, but because

a) art direction was the best
b) beginnings pts 1 and 2 are 2/3 episodes of the series i like
c) the season introduced some pretty good characters
d) the season finale came so close to not being shitty but then gave up halfway through

Book 1 was good, but I don't remember much about it. It's been a long time.

Book 2 is the weakest, but I wouldn't call it bad. Just meh.

Books 3 and 4 are both amazing.

book 2 felt like they were high while writing the script for the final episode

presumably because at that point they had already written themselves into a corner with a plot that had no reasonable solution

Oh, people are talking about Korra book 2 here.

Book 2 was horrible. The villain was bad, the plot was bad, they turned Lin into a fucking idiot, it was painful. I felt so disillusioned, I lost interest in the entire series after that fiasko. It took me a long time until I considered to maybe give it another chance and watch book 3. Luckily I did, because book 3 is great again and so is book 4. Everything was forgiven.

For me, the only good thing that came out of book 2 was that two-parter in the middle about the first avatar. And probably Varrick and Zhu Li.

i kinda liked the first part of the finale of book 2

it was epic and felt well-done

but then of course everything went to shit which is a shame because

the concept of the dark avatar is an interesting one, but yeah, as 22 said, they kinda wrote themselves into a corner

Even my parents recognised that season 2 was a load of wank. God, I've never seen a show with a more atrocious sophomore season

Phyllis said:
For me, the only good thing that came out of book 2 was that two-parter in the middle about the first avatar. And probably Varrick and Zhu Li.
important.

Book 2 was really weak all-around, but it only sets up the amazingness that is Season 3

the dark avatar idea could've been done so much better than what they actually went with. as for everything else, the new characters they introduced were mostly zzzzzzzzzz and i've never hated bolin more than how he is in season 2.

and for a 'dark avatar' did they ever explicitly say that Tarlok could bend all of the elements because I don't think he ever used an element other than water

I feel like season 2 would have benefited from a full 20 episode season, since they jammed way too much into too short a time frame; there were a lot of good ideas, but none of them got fleshed out properly resulting in a jumbled mess with a sloppy resolution. In season 3, they actually got the pacing right, so stuff developed naturally instead of lurching from one plot to another.

I.e. the idea of a Dark Avatar using the Miyazaki spirits to oppose Korra and her elements would have been a pretty cool running plot as she learns to be more spirity and fight fire with fire metaphorically - instead of with physical fire. Also having the lead-up to the Dark Avatar's creation be a bit more gradual would have been better, rather than the flashback introducing us to the great spirits; e.g. giving us viewers teasing glimpses of Tarlok's partner in crime during the first half of the season, like how we always saw Ozai' mouth and voice but never his face until season 3. Meanwhile Korra (with the help of Tenzin and his family) has to earn her meeting with Wan instead of random amnesia-ex-machina, and then when she has a breakthrough and contacts him, we all finally get to see who the big bad is in the mid-season flashback - just in time for him to emerge shortly thereafter for the last 8 episodes or whatever. Meanwhile the rest of Team Avatar and Republic City are less incompetent about the civil war stuff, which was also an interesting idea that was butchered in execution (except Varrick, who was awesome). Like, Bolin still supports Mako despite his stardom and has to reconcile his loyalties between his bro and Varrick, Lin is competent and proactive about stuff, Asami actually does things besides being screwed over, jerked around by the ghost of the Season 1 love triangle, and left behind for the climax, etc. Then the spirit stuff and material war stuff comes together for the last few episodes, and instead of a kaiju battle with Jinora, queen of the Mary Sues running interference, it's a regular-sized avatar showdown for the finale.

^that sounds so much better than what we got tbh

i agree that the season was very poorly paced as a result of only having 14 episodes

it's the same thing steven universe suffers from sometimes by only having 11 minute episodes, but then again at least they clearly know how to work around it

Yeah, but at least they figured out the pacing for 3 and 4 (and 1 had been pretty balanced too, although it was made from scratch to be a self-contained miniseries, Over the Garden Wall-style, so you'd expect them to get it right).

Walkazo said:
although it was made from scratch to be a self-contained miniseries

this is what i figured out because else they would've had something to tie in with book 2 near the end or something.

i forgive book 2 for everything it did because it gave us varrick and varrick is literally my dream character rn.

I did it.

I watched all of TLA and Korra in 1 1/2 Months or so.

To be fucking honest, I think Book 4 of Korra is equal to Book 3 of TLA in what it did to their respective series.

Korra Book 4 had so much character development, it feels like they're paying their fans back for WHATEVER THE FUCK BOOK 2 WAS.

I mean, god. Book 2 could've been good, if they went for a slightly different plot and maybe rewritten the scenario entirely to not make Unalaq the villain. Unalaq was way too generic and too similar to Tarlok from book 1 from before he turned good.

Also the fucking subplot in Book 2 (Bolin) was stupid. Varrick was easily the best part in it, but I'll get back to him in a second.

Book 1 was a pretty solid follow up on TLA, actually. Book 1 in itself had everything a good series needed, and i feel like this is exactly the problem book 2 had to deal with. I might be repeating myself, but the thing that was so great about TLA, is that there was one goal, throughout the entire series: Defeat Fire Lord Ozai.

Book 1 has a goal. Book 1 had Amon (amazing villain btw), and in the end he was dead (which by the way caused the slight inconsistency in "Remembrances" in Book 4 where Varrick appearently knew that Amon died, which he couldn't possibly have known since Tarlok blew himself and Amon up in THE MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING OCEAN).

Anyways, there was nothing carrying over to Book 2. And exactly this was the source of its misfortune. The first 2 episodes were horrible. The 3rd one was an okay lead-up to episode 3 which was fucking solid.

The best part about episode 5 was the Korra and Mako thing. Like I said, Bolin in this entire book was bullshit.

Episode 6 was bull.

Episodes 7 and 8 though, they actually did something right. They finally expanded on the lore of TLA (which is what this episode was obviously designed for), and it was great.

I don't remember episode 9, but episode 10 was fucking 10/10 as well (the one with jinora and korra in the spirit world).

Then... it took a turn for the worse. The final episode was trash, and you probably all know why by now so I won't even expand on that.

Then Book 3. Book 3 had an okay first episode, wasn't as good as book 1's, but was miles better than whatever book 2 tried to do (literally nothing happened in that episode basically, we just got a vague hint at "oh noes spirits are attacking" and "oh noes this is important"). Because honestly, book 2 couldn't do anything against the imminent threat fire lord ozai or amon were through all of their shit (when vatu was introduced it got better, but then again, the ending. ugh.).

And thus book 3 did the absolutely right thing by making 2 things clear:
-Head of states in this world nowadays suck.
-The Villain.

Sahir had one of the best introductions to any villain in any series i ever saw. That was literally amazing. And Episode 2 did pick up on the right spot with him, although the whole Korra and the air benders thing took a turn for the worse.

So yeah, I was ready for another near-shit tier book at this episode, because i kinda had a feeling that Sahir would be poorly executed from this point on.

Until at the end of episode 2 Zuko appeared

>>>>>motherfucking Zuko

aka the best character in tla imo.

well at that point, i had to basically binge the rest of book 3 (because zuko is our lord and saviour and nothing he associates himself with can be bad)...

...and to be honest, i liked what i saw.

Despite my early thoughts about the whole air benders are back subplot thing... I kinda grew to like it near episode i think, 5 or something.

Sahir was pretty good at being a threat a la Amon, especially because he didn't need a huge following to be a real threat to korra and the gang.

It was just 4 strong benders, who had a pretty clear goal:

Kill all nation leaders.
And kill the avatar.

And they even got surprisingly close to their goal. Because of how they killed the earth queen (who was pretty impressively shown as a villain herself), and how Sahir managed break Korra at the end.

Basically the only complaint I have about the ending of book 3 is the "the poison consists out of metal" thing. Like I don't GET how jinora was supposed to know that.

also another thing i liked about book 3: it dropped the unnecessary bad plotlines and characters from book 2 (bolin, the twins and bolin, and bolin), and only kept the stuff that was worth it (Varrick, and the spirits being back in this world thing (which they kinda had to keep, that was unavoidable)).

Have I already said that Sahir was an amazing villain? okay.

Anyways, yeah, book 3 passed, and it was even slightly better than book 1, especially because it makes you pumped for book 4.

and DEER GOD did book 4 deliver.

If we don't count the very first episode of book 4, every episode was 10/10. This exceedingly reminds me of book 3, which was 10/10 except for very few episodes near the start.

Also, fucking like

episode 1 of book 4 wasn't even bad, it was the exposition we needed, but not the one we wanted.

The episode we didn't know we needed, but the one we wanted, was episode 2.

Book 4 Episode 2 is probably the best episode in the entire series.

Especially because KORRA GETS CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. This is something the previous protagonist (Aang) only got in a very limited fashion tbh.

This episode wasn't called "Korra Alone" without a reason. Idk if it's just me, but, excluding the title which is an obvious reference, so many parallels between Korra and Zuko have been established. Like the very subtile fact that, due to her black eye, which was also on the same side of her face where Zuko's Scar was, her face didn't only look just a bit like Zuko's face. at least oo much to be a coincidence imo. Also they both turned from the people they were with for the past 2-3 or so years. Iroh in Zuko's case, and the people at the southern water tribe as well as her friends in republica in Korra's case, and they both now wear earth kingdom clothes.

This, combined with the fact that Korra was finally shown as a true top tier character like only Zuko, Toph and Iroh reached that in TLA, make this episode so great.

Oh speaking about Toph, she's also in it.

And she also gets more action in this book than Zuko got in book 3. In fact, Zuko only shows up in the background for like one second during the crowning of the new earth king in book 4.

Anyways, Toph got even scummier in the x years she spent in the swamp appearently, because she also used the word "ass" once in the german dub (in a funny way, lol).

Yeah the Korra and Toph thing was pretty great.

Kuvira is reminding me of something.

hmmmmm.

>tells the elader of zaofu (forgot her name) that "we should share our knowledge with the world"
>then goes and conquers the enitre earth kingdom.

Yep, new fire nation confirmed.

meanwhile the new fire lord, zuko's daughter, only appeared like once, and said "oh no fuck you we're not etting involved with this, you know the last time the fire nation was involved with a war? Not a pretty sight."

tbh that's understandable.

Tenzin didn't want to get involved either, even though he totally did later so uh.

anyways, book 4 had a fucking enormous pace, that's why i binged through it this fast.

AND THEN FUCKING

VARRICK

I LOVE HIM

HE'S THE BEST CHARACTER IN THIS ENTIRE FRANCHISE LIKE SERIOUSLY

he was already greatness in book 2. do you remember that time when mako found out that varrick was to blame for the attacks on future industries, he got to asami, and she just got done selling her company to varrick? AND HE FUCKING TURNS AROUND WITH THE MOST BADASS GRIN EVER ON HIS FACE. OH MY GOD I LOVE VARRICK.

i also liked varrick's end of the story. like, he got pretty much perfect development.

so yeah, kuvira wasn't such a good and original villain, because she was pretty much a mixture of Ozai in more nice, and Korra herself, which was teased during the book and confirmed by korra herself in the last episode.

at least she understood that what she did was wrong at the end.

I kinda disliked that the air nation played a lesser role in this book, but their involvement was sitll okay.

The last few episodes were amazing.

Asami got development (like seriously.).
Bolin got development (he went from slightly stupid (book 1) to full retard (book 2) to stupid (book 3) to... slightly stupid and kinda helpful (book 4), so i guess that is in fact development).
even fucking MAKO (who was basic asf for 3 books) got development.
Korra got development like i stated above
lin got development, although she had most of it already in book 3.
Hell, even Toph kinda had character development (and this is 73-74 years after the end of TLA) because she admitted to being a bad mother.

so all in all what can i say?

Was Korra better than TLA?
No.

Was it even comparable?
No.

Of course it can't flee from being compared to tla, but it really shouldn't be. they went for something completely different with book 1, failed at continuing it, and saved their asses with 2 great seasons. Overall it didn't defy the greatness that was TLA, but felt like a worthy successor.

Also I praise this series for giving us Varrick because there's no way he isn't awesome.

If I had to rate both series, TLA would get a straight 10/10, and Korra would be at like 9/10, and this ONLY because of how poorly executed book 2 was.

also here's a crazy theory i developed:

in some book 4 episode it was pointed out how each villain in books 1-3 represented one thing:

-Equality (Amon, Book 1)
-Brotherhood (Unalaq, Book 2)
-Liberty (Sahir, Book 3)

This reminds me of something.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libert%C3%A9,_%C3%A9galit%C3%A9,_fraternit%C3%A9

My new headcanon is that the villains in korra are supposed to represent france.

Also the above just made me realize that book 2 makes even less sense now.

Accounting TLA as well, now every nation has had exactly one major villain.

Except for the northern water tribe which had 2.

Fuck Book 2.

Well, technically Amon was Water Tribe (and Tarrlok).

Good points about the black eye and Earth Kingdom clothes for the Korra/Zuko Alone parallels - totes didn't notice that on my own. Although, come to think of it, both cut their hair off too - just Zuko did his ponytail in a few episodes before his Alone episode. Neat stuff.

Back