Fan Fiction

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
Discuss fan fiction and FanFiction.net here.

Your opinion on fanfiction is no more valid than Jack Thompson's opinion on video games.

Sure, except that I don't blame murders on fanfiction, or try to get fanfiction banned, or think that I'm Batman, or really do anything Jack Thompson does at all.

Except breath and eat. And wear clothes.

I didn't say you shared the same opinion. I just said they were equally valid.

Because I quite clearly remember playing through inFamous and Assassin's Creed II's amazing story, feeling unsatisfied with the result and thinking to myself "You know, it'd be great if the fans tacked on some bullshit backstory or wrote a messy continuation of this. They can do the job of a professional writer way better than an actual professional writer!"

And I definitely clearly remember watching The Shawshank Redemption and thinking Andy Dufresne and Red would've made the most adorable couple, just hoping to myself that some weirdo fans did an erotic shipping fanfiction about their true love for one another.

Fanfiction is seriously about as relevant to society and artistic development as a fart in a bottle.

You forgot when you watched a thing and thought it would be hilarious/adorable if the cast went to school together.

I love your sig, Random Blue.

Also, I'm not into fanfictions because they're just, to me, random mashups of cartoons or some shipping crap.

Pyro said:
I love your sig, Random Blue.

Also, I'm not into fanfictions because they're just, to me, random mashups of cartoons or some shipping crap.

Hey, thanks!

Shipping crap gets annoying especially with hardcore shippers who think their pairing is the one-and-only-truth-and-everyone-who-thinks-otherwise-sucks.

People need to quit shoving their opinions in other people's faces.

Pyro said:
I'm not into video games because they're just, to me, random mashups of satanic rituals or some gorefest crap.

SiFi said:
I'm not into video games because they're just, to me, random mashups of satanic rituals or some gorefest crap.
You keep jumping back to the "video games ARE EVIL!" misconception to back up fanfiction. I fail to see the connection.

I don't think you quite understand how arguing works.

Both arguments are an uninformed generalisation.

Show me a fanfiction that isn't full of shit, and I'll agree with you on that point. Although I will never agree that fanfiction is any sort of relevant or beneficial to our society.

Tell me what you want to see a good fanfiction of first.

And I think it can be relevant and/or beneficial to society in that people who want to be actual professional writers can write fanfiction as practice.

I could have a field day with this, but I've got better things to do- oh wait a minute. Nonetheless, possibly half my finds wouldn't be allowed here.

I have really good memories of fanfics. I used to always read Mario fanfics and Ed Edd 'n Eddy fanfics. One of my favorites was about female versions of the Eds called Ed, Edd 'n Emma. However, I haven't read it in years so I don't really know if it's any good. I'd rather remember it with nostalgia goggles.

I don't insult fan fiction as a whole, or fan art as a whole, because my specialties are fan games and fan comics. However, I've seen some really awful fan fiction. (Just as I've seen awful fan art, games, and comics.)

I read a rather good Star Wars/Star Trek crossover that actually wasn't biased towards either side, which was nice.

But Sturgeon's Law definitely applies with fanfics.

Lario said:
I could have a field day with this, but I've got better things to do- oh wait a minute. Nonetheless, possibly half my finds wouldn't be allowed here.

Disregard the later half. I actually don't come across such content very often.

I do remember reading something on Lemmy's Land back in 2007 that now brings me "oh God no" thoughts whenever I think about it, though. That place was kind of a waste anyway. (Well, the "scribbles" I guess.)

Back