Microsoft and Sony could copy from Wii U's controller

ToxBox

Power Star
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/02/10/report-xbox-720-to-use-touchscreen-controller

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/03/sony-patented-wii-u-esque-controller-pics-to-prove-it/

Sony is known for being uncreative and stealing other's ideas, as seen with Playstation Move.

And Microsoft isn't as bad, but they seem successful enough in order to not copy Nintendo's stuff

inb4dippyrefutesthisentiretopic

In all honesty, my only surprise about this is that they didn't wait to see if the Wii U was successful first.

This has gone farther than any other attempts to copy a company in my experience.
This should be an interesting Console War.

And the Nintendo Network is totally original and not a copy of the PlayStation Network or XBox Live?

"of course it's not a copy, the PSN and XBL are a good idea! Nintendo's just applying a good idea to their console!"

Oh but then of course, Sony and Microsoft are merely applying a good idea to their consoles as well?

"No that's totally different because they're RIPPING OFF NINTENDO and NO ONE RIPS OFF NINTENDO WAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!"

on a serious note, they're just rumours. Hold off on the slander until you get actual confirmation from a better website than IGN.

So, what's the matter of building up on an idea and improving it?

Crocodile Dippy said:
And the Nintendo Network is totally original and not a copy of the PlayStation Network or XBox Live?

"of course it's not a copy, the PSN and XBL are a good idea! Nintendo's just applying a good idea to their console!"

Oh but then of course, Sony and Microsoft are merely applying a good idea to their consoles as well?

"No that's totally different because they're RIPPING OFF NINTENDO and NO ONE RIPS OFF NINTENDO WAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!"

on a serious note, they're just rumours. Hold off on the slander until you get actual confirmation from a better website than IGN.
No, because Nintendo Network is completely different as far as I can tell. Probably worse, but also, you can't copy the whole idea of an online network. But creating a controller with an HD screen that allows more interaction? I'm sorry but when I hear that I think Wii U. And it's not a rumor, Sony patented it, so they at least have the idea.
Baby Luigi said:
What improvent?

Discord said:
Baby Luigi said:
What improvent?

Usually, when people "steal" or "copy" an idea, they usually add stuff to improve it. There's nothing wrong with that, it happens in any industry all the time

Baby Luigi said:
Discord said:
Baby Luigi said:
What improvent?

Usually, when people "steal" or "copy" an idea, they usually add stuff to improve it. There's nothing wrong with that, it happens in any industry all the time
I don't see how they can improve something with more things we haven't heard about yet.

Magus said:
inb4dippyrefutesthisentiretopic

What I was thinking in my head when I read the topic name.

Discord said:
No, because Nintendo Network is completely different as far as I can tell. Probably worse, but also, you can't copy the whole idea of an online network. But creating a controller with an HD screen that allows more interaction? I'm sorry but when I hear that I think Wii U. And it's not a rumor, Sony patented it, so they at least have the idea.
My point was that the network isn't a rip-off. People borrow ideas all the time, what's the harm in that? Especially for a console, which is really just a conduit for you to play games and interact with other gamers and nothing more. May as well claim Samsung and Toshiba are ripping each other off because they both make laptops and televisions!

You think the Wii U tablet controller thing is a good idea, right? Obviously, Sony thinks it's a good idea too. They're trying to see what they can do with the new format as well and appeal to their customer base who don't want to buy a Wii U. If this format catches on, then in 15 years the new generation of gamers won't care who came up with the idea first; all that matters is that someone created it and everyone else thought it was a good idea and decided to make it commonplace. Problem?

Besides, all we have right now is vague, early information. How about waiting until we have more info (or better yet, after the product is released) before crying foul like you people always bloody do?

You've got to admit, the "Position-dependent gaming, 3-D controller, and handheld as a remote" is a much catchier name than the Wii U.

Gamefreak75 said:
You've got to admit, the "Position-dependent gaming, 3-D controller, and handheld as a remote" is a much catchier name than the Wii U.
The PDG3DCAHAAR?

First, they aren't ripoffs. Iwata said that the history of entertainment is also the history of imitation. Second, they're just rumors, like Dippy said, and Nintendo Network is kind of a ripoff of PSN and Live. Third, this is just me, but why does it seem that Crocodile Dippy isn't a Nintendo fan, and prefers Sony consoles?

Cap'n Falcon said:
Third, this is just me, but why does it seem that Crocodile Dippy isn't a Nintendo fan, and prefers Sony consoles?

I'm pretty sure he does like Nintendo, but he hates it how Nintendo fans bash other company's consoles or games for no good reason

Really, it's not copying, it's moving on. Video game companies aren't going to stay behind (and possibly lose their edge over their competitors) just to "stay original". They'll lose customers for being so "outdated". In the business world, it all boils down to money.

That, or I have it all wrong.

Well, in theory you could do that, or you could make your own revolutionary, innovative concept.

Discord said:
Well, in theory you could do that, or you could make your own revolutionary, innovative concept.

That is quite tough to come up with, actually

Discord said:
Well, they're the company. That's what they're supposed to do.

No, they're supposed to make money

Well yes. I just prefer it when they do it in an honorable way and actually try to innovate.

Cap'n Falcon said:
Third, this is just me, but why does it seem that Crocodile Dippy isn't a Nintendo fan, and prefers Sony consoles?
It's true that I've grown tired of Nintendo's bizarre controller and gameplay gimmicks and I feel their major series have become redundant and tedious, but I do have fond memories of the earlier days of Nintendo. I just don't like their recent casual approach to game design, which probably just goes back to my pretentious hipster "games are art" mantra.

I couldn't care less about Sony consoles themselves; but in terms of the seventh-generation, the games on it and the XBox 360 (more the XBLA than anything else, tho) appeal to me more than the Wii's motion controls gimmick and more casual games.

Discord said:
Well yes. I just prefer it when they do it in an honorable way and actually try to innovate.
They do innovate. With their games, as they should. As I said before, the console is just there for you to play games and communicate with other gamers; nothing more. Of course personal preference comes into the argument; but at the end of the day, video games are about the evolution of games, not the evolution of controllers.

Yes, it does. But I would think that the Wii U controller, if what the developers are saying about it are true, will make games much more innovative.

I'd argue there is a fine line between "innovation" and "gimmick", but we'll just have to wait and see which side the tablet controller falls under.

Back