Legal status of downloading VG music.

SKmaric

King Bowser
Is it legal to download music from a video game I own and the music was ripped/recorded from the game? I just wanted to know because almost every song in any video game is on YouTube and the wiki has a bunch of .ogg music files from a few Mario games.

It might be illegal cause a bunch games have official soundtracks for sale and shit but I don't really know

I sort of suspected that downloading music games with official soundtracks would be illegal, but I'm not sure about games without official soundtracks, such as most Mario games.

SKmarioman said:
Is it legal to download music from a video game I own and the music was ripped/recorded from the game? I just wanted to know because almost every song in any video game is on YouTube and the wiki has a bunch of .ogg music files from a few Mario games.

Did you do the ripping/recording? If not, then it's illegal unless it falls under our copyright policy.

I don't understand how music is copyrighted. So, will you get sued if you were caught listening to it at home? Or maybe, you're listening to a gameplay video on youtube! Or...isn't it from a CD? I dunno.

It shouldn't be illegal to rip music from the games, especially if an official soundtrack wasn't released.

Baby Luigi said:
I don't understand how music is copyrighted. So, will you get sued if you were caught listening to it at home? Or maybe, you're listening to a gameplay video on youtube! Or...isn't it from a CD? I dunno.

No, just if you download it without paying for it.

Back