DLC

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
What do you think of Downloadable content? Are there any game you want DLC for?

Although I doubt this is going to happen, it would be really cool if in one of the next Mario Kart games they could include a feature to make your own racetracks and be able to post them on an online database like you could with puzzles in Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem! and Nintendo could also post official recreations of retro tracks on there as well.

DLC is good when the developers have a few extra things they'd like to add to the game that they missed out on during the proper production phase for whatever reasons. Too many companies just shell out endless DLC and charge ridiculous prices for them in hopes to worm out as much money as possible from their audience, tho. Train Simulator is the worst I've seen for this; adding up the game and all its DLC, it costs about $1,600.

Crocodile Dippy said:
DLC is good when the developers have a few extra things they'd like to add to the game that they missed out on during the proper production phase for whatever reasons. Too many companies just shell out endless DLC and charge ridiculous prices for them in hopes to worm out as much money as possible from their audience, tho. Train Simulator is the worst I've seen for this; adding up the game and all its DLC, it costs about $1,600.

I agree with Dippy. Some games mishandle DLC really badly. An example of a game that I think handled it well, though, is Mass Effect 2. Added two characters, and a load of side quests and companion quests. And it wasnt too expensive. I think they also had some generic DLC like outfits or something, I havent browsed their DLC very thoroughly, but the main DLCs they offered were good.

An example of a game I think mishandled DLC really badly is the NHL series by EA. You have to pay for a subscription to their online service ON TOP of a normal xbox live membership just to download updated rosters, or to play online. That I think is a major mishandling of DLC. But they are EA, so they can get away with whatever they want.

I really love DLC. Spore is one of the games I played with DLC and it was always new and exciting whenever they patch it. Problem is, the developers stopped patching it really long ago and that's pretty bad because Spore had a lot of potential and a lot of glitches that need to be fixed.

Crocodile Dippy said:

Well some games are designed(or re-designed) precisely for the purpose to make more money from DLC than from the base cost of the game. Valve did this last summer if you recall.

I love DLC, but not when it's useless. As Dippy said, sometimes DLC can cost a lot of money.

I like a Tiny Tower approach to their DLC (Tower Bux); it doesn't restrict access to anything if you don't get it, but if you do decide to get it, it's worth a lot.

SMBB had downloadable stages derp derp derp derp

There have been a lot of rumours about Mario Kart 7 having downloadable tracks. I'd be getting all of them if this is true :)

I think DLC is great for music-based games and puzzle games, but I think when it's something like additional guns in a FPS, it's just a way for the developers to get more money when they probably could have easily put it on the disc.

Look at CoD. They released 60 dollars worth of DLC for Black Ops. For that money, you could just buy a new game.

Back