Is it just me or is this a reference to SMRPG?

Ultraluigi

doing whatever since 2011
In Super Mario 3D Land, in the cloud portion of 4-1, the perspective changes to isometric and it looks suspiciously like Nimbus Land in Super Mario RPG. Is this a reference?

Mario4Ever said:
Evil Magikrazy said:
If so, that would be pretty subtle. Are there any cloud people there?

None.
Cloud people were created by Square Enix, and Square Enix probably didn't want them in the game. I still think it's a reference.

I doubt it. If your talking about the cloud area after the Rainbow Note Block, I think it's just a nice 3D treat. I tried it without 3D and it's hard to judge the distance. So I just thought it was to make use of the depth of the 3D. which works well.

I guess it isn't a reference, just a view change.

God I hate Square for Robbing the Marioverse of those wonderful characters for 15 years WHATS THE FUCKING POINT IT'S NOT LIKE THERE DOING ANYTHING W/ THEM! GIVE 'EM BACK TO NINTENDO FOR GOD'S SAKE!

Devil Jin said:
Nintendo probably doesn't care about them and does not want to pay the money to get their rights back.
True, but legions of fans want them back. And Nintendo DOES care about money, don't it?

The same legions of fans that buy their stuff anyway, buying the character rights would only get the people that already love Nintendo to love them a little bit more.

Most people who buy and play Mario games aren't hardcore nerds on Mario forums who obsess over Geno, they're kids who were not only not born early enough to remember Geno, they were born after the release of Super Mario RPG. The "legions of fans" you talk about are a small fraction of Mario players and definitely not enough people for Nintendo to go to the trouble of getting the rights to use those characters.

Uniju said:
Most people who buy and play Mario games aren't hardcore nerds on Mario forums who obsess over Geno, they're kids who were not only not born early enough to remember Geno, they were born after the release of Super Mario RPG. The "legions of fans" you talk about are a small fraction of Mario players and definitely not enough people for Nintendo to go to the trouble of getting the rights to use those characters.
That. Forget my explanation. This one's better.

I didn't really like SMRPG much anyway.

Uniju said:

Exactly. As spacepope4u once put it, many kids nowadays think that Mario Kart 64 was the first Mario Kart.

Uniju said:
Me.

Uniju said:
Well Unigu wasn't the Wii VC created SPECIFICALLY for these little Millennial idiots?!

Marwikedor said:
Uniju said:
Well Unigu wasn't the Wii VC created SPECIFICALLY for these little Millennial idiots?!
OK, I'm not that young. Roughly 1998. PS1 era.

Marwikedor said:
Uniju said:
It hasn't aged all that well IMO. Could never get into it without getting bored. maybe it's because Paper Mario 2 was a huge improvement (IMO) compared to the previous two.

Back