Which is better, MLP: Friendship is Magic or Adventure Time?

Messed Up Freakshow of Cryptic Sarcasm said:
Mason said:
Great. I finally find someone who agrees the Simpsons is still funny and he turns around and says Adventure Time is better than FiM.

oh no it's the apocalypse i guess you'll have to kill him or something
Whoa... are you a mind reader? I was JUST thinking about hunting him down, chopping him up into little pieces and burying the pieces around the neighborhood! :smug:

Also... why is a thread with a video containing VERY good points in defense of the Simpsons centered around My Little Pony just because the creator of the video flashed something to the effect of "adventure time is better than MLP" for less than half a second?

I went and found Part 1 and I agree with a LOT of what the guy has to say about the Simpsons.

Mason said:
Great. I finally find someone who agrees the Simpsons is still funny and he turns around and says Adventure Time is better than FiM.

I thought you were referring to me for a moment.

Lario said:
Mason said:

I thought you were referring to me for a moment.
Nope.

Truth be told, I think people are entitled to their opinions... but what about the people who say the Simpsons sucks without actually believing it sucks? (I've literally come across people who've said they only don't watch the new episodes because no one ELSE likes them.)

So apparently the mainstream thing to do is to hate the past 10 years of Simpsons and I'm a hipster. (And I do understand that there are some people who really don't find the new episodes funny.)

Lario and PTR: Disliking something just because of it's fanbase is not a valid reason for disliking the show.

EDIT: Woops, double post

Pinkie Pie said:
Lario and PTR: Disliking something just because of it's fanbase is not a valid reason for disliking the show.

But people will dislike it for its fanbase anyway, rational or not, so maybe the fandom should put some effort into being less... pushy.

Pokémon Trainer Red said:
Pinkie Pie said:
PTR: Disliking something just because of it's fanbase is not a valid reason for disliking the show.
I don't hate it or like it. I'm neutral.
You certainly don't act that way.

I have never seen MLP. I don't even know what channel it's on. But I'll admit that Adventure Time has it's moments of awesome. Like for example: The Christmas Episode (Holly Jolly Secrets). All shows have their flaws or strengths at some point or another.

CharizardLover said:
I have never seen MLP. I don't even know what channel it's on.

The Hub.

GLaDOS said:
Pokémon Trainer Red said:
Pinkie Pie said:
PTR: Disliking something just because of it's fanbase is not a valid reason for disliking the show.
I don't hate it or like it. I'm neutral.
You certainly don't act that way.

Yeah, didn't you have your custom title as "The My Little Pony Hater" at one point?

709px-A_T_W_F.png

I have mixed feelings for this show, but I have a feeling it's going to be better than MLP. :dk:
I only start re-watching it again because they used rule 63 in one of their episode and I went on from that.
I couldn't stand Finn's voice during the first few. :c

MLP no contest. Adventure time is just a series of stupid unexpected events that anybody who isn't crazy would dislike.

On the other hand, MLP: FiM despite the fact it targets young kids, it has a better plot, more character development, is actually slightly funny at some points, and it's plot is slight more predictable and the story makes any sense what so ever.

PS. This probably should be a poll
CharizardLover said:
Smasher said:
CharizardLover said:

The Hub.
The what? How have I never heard of that channel. Let me check if it's on Dish...Oh, that explains why. How long was that there?

It just replaced the discovery channel, and if you don't have it, then you can go on Youtube and watch literally all of the ones so far.

YoshiMonsta said:
MLP no contest. Adventure time is just a series of stupid unexpected events that anybody who isn't crazy would dislike.

On the other hand, MLP: FiM despite the fact it targets young kids, it has a better plot, more character development, is actually slightly funny at some points, and it's plot is slight more predictable and the story makes any sense what so ever.

PS. This probably should be a poll
CharizardLover said:
Smasher said:
CharizardLover said:

The Hub.
The what? How have I never heard of that channel. Let me check if it's on Dish...Oh, that explains why. How long was that there?

It just replaced the discovery channel, and if you don't have it, then you can go on Youtube and watch literally all of the ones so far.
I see. I see...

Here's an analysis by someone on another forum I go to on each one. Someone who likes both Adventure Time and Friendship is Magic.

[quote author=Altercation]
I am reminded of the age old argument of "apples vs oranges" in this thread and this question. It's fruitless to compare Adventure Time or Friendship is Magic because they're fundamentally different in tone, character and personality. I think the closest that you could conceivably get to a legitimate parallel is that both have this interesting whimsy to them that they capture, but when one production is thematically cynical and the other is idealist (and I shouldn't have to tell people which one is which) even that parallel falls apart at its' seams. They don't try to resemble each other and they both benefit greatly from it. The day that Adventure Time begins to resemble FiM or vice versa is the day that I stop watching. If you could take two absolutely random people - one avid Adventure Time fan and one avid FiM fan, and ask them to describe in general terms why they like their show so much, there's a good chance that these reasons will not be the same.

Thus, the question of which over which becomes as valid as the console wars.

With all that said, I'm going to default with this answer and I won't actually give one. I watch Adventure Time for different reasons than FiM (mostly, in any case), so I can't say which I prefer. I suppose that I'm more often inclined towards an episode of FiM (and arguably more digestible repeat viewings), but then I look forward to every week's installment of Adventure Time just as much as I look forward to an episode of FiM.

Actually, I suppose that's a bit of an exaggeration. I do like FiM and Adventure Time both for one particular reason: the characters. While I prefer how the interplay between characters drives story in FiM over the event driven Adventure Time's method, I think both teams have succeeded in developing endearing, funny, interesting characters, and both casts are what I would call "wins" in terms of female characters in western animation.

As an aside, I'm not sure where the "continuity" complaints are specifically coming from. Especially when you consider that a Hasbro mandate for FiM was that almost every episode could be viewed out of order. Thus why people can, say, recommend Dragonshy to first time viewers rather than the pilot. I'd actually argue that Adventure Time is about as consistent in terms of continuity as FiM is. Again, there's no serialization in FiM that makes going through random order difficult. But the series occasionally past events and follows a broad story arc (in S1's case, the Gala) that the season slowly marches towards. Characters develop, albeit subtly and some only barely. There are some backgrounds or visuals that correlate to previous episodes, and callbacks such as pets or even some changes in relationship dynamics (Applejack and Rarity or Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash).

Adventure Time is... largely the same. There are no real "arcs", but there's a consistent forward direction to the story that the show takes in event placement and character development. Continuity is sometimes hard to notice, but it's clearly there. Someone already addressed the Lich King (a season two villain referenced in season one), so the biggest example that occurs to me is Princess Bubblegum's transformation into a thirteen year old girl. That doesn't resolve itself in the episode where it comes up, but in fact, something like three episodes later. And the method that they use to turn her back is only understandable if you actually watched the episode where she was de-aged. In that sense, I could argue that Adventure Time is in fact stronger in terms of consistent continuity. Most of it is rather subtle, though. For example, an artifact that Finn and Jake acquire in one episode is used in a later episode, Finn loses a sword and gains another, and character development actually follows a linear path.

I'd go so far as to say that the character development for pretty much all the characters in the show is what completely anchors the continuity. I'll use Marceline (the vampire rocker girl) as an example, because her development (and her relationship with the others) is probably the easiest to see and understand. She arrives one episode to throw Finn and Jake out of their house because she used to own it, and acts as that episode's antagonist. Finn becomes aggressive when she shows up the very next time, where she pranks him into making him believe he's not doing the right thing. Over the course of more episodes featuring her, their relationship shifts around, lines are drawn and some are smudged, to the point where they're pretty much unambiguously friends. Jake is an even more extreme example of this. Because unlike Finn, he's still scared of Marceline for a good while, but slowly begins to warm up to her and lower his defenses. The difference in his attitude towards Marceline would make no sense if you went from say, Henchman to Marceline's Closet.

If it isn't clear already, I consider myself something of a fan of Adventure Time.

tl;dr the comparison is pointless, FiM and Adventure Time is a perfect example of "different strokes for different folks", they're both great shows in their own right, and I talk way too much about the fact that continuity in Adventure Time is as big as an issue as it is in FiM.
[/quote]

CharizardLover said:
The Hub. Enter your Zip Code to see what channel it is where you live here:

http://www.hubworld.com/channel-locator

Back