Scroll boxes are no longer allowed

Knife

Searching for adventure
Retired Wiki Staff
In the past, we used scroll boxes for a couple of things, such as hiding long lists of templates and minimizing long discussions. Eventually, we phased out use of scroll boxes from mainspace use and just settled for using them to archive long discussions and proposals. Now as a result of a discussion on the administrative board, we've decided to remove scroll boxes altogether.

Reasons for doing this include:

-Scroll boxes don't work with readers who use mobile devices, since most cannot display a second scroll box (or multiple scroll boxes on certain pages).
-Scroll boxes are now arbitrary because of the new proposal archiving system we're finally putting into place. This proposal had been long approved, but until now, nothing had been done. Read this proposal for details (note: not all the points in the proposal will be carried out, there will be small variations such as keeping proposal archives where they are. This was approved on the administrative board as well). Talk page proposals are also being removed for consistency, plus they never really needed them either since most talk pages aren't that long to begin with.
-Scroll boxes slightly increase loading time. While the actual loading time difference is negligible in cases where there is only one or two scroll boxes, we might as well shave a few milliseconds off for our readers and users.

Since there are over 250+ pages with scroll boxes, we could use any help possible. All you'd have to do is go to one of the pages linked to from this page and remove the scroll box template. In cases where the template is on someone's userspace, leave it alone for now, the administrative team will deal with them after the fact.

If you have any questions or comments about this change, please post them in this thread.

What should be done about archived TPPs? Do we just remove the template and leave it at that, or is there something to add afterward?

Lord Ghirahim said:
What should be done about archived TPPs? Do we just remove the template and leave it at that, or is there something to add afterward?

Exactly. Just remove the template and leave it at that. There's nothing to add.

Alright then, I'm on it.

I attempted to remove the scrollboxes from http://www.mariowiki.com/MarioWiki:Proposals/Archive, but for some reason, the final header tab doesn't work correctly when you do remove them.

For an image...

Note: Click on the image for its full size.

codingissue.png

Now, I don't feel comfortable tampering with that page, so I'll let someone else handle this issue.

Alright, I'll help out with this. I need to do something over there anyway. :P

MnSG said:
I attempted to remove the scrollboxes from http://www.mariowiki.com/MarioWiki:Proposals/Archive, but for some reason, the final header tab doesn't work correctly when you do remove them.

For an image...

codingissue.png

Now, I don't feel comfortable tampering with that page, so I'll let someone else handle this issue.

I don't understand why it's doing that either. My guess is that there's something in one of those templates on top that's causing the problem.

Alright, all the uses of the template not on protected pages are removed. A sysop can remove the remaining uses at his or her convenience. Thank you Smasher for showing up and helping Lindsay151 and me.

No problem, I was happy to help.

Not sure if this was clarified when the issue was discussed, but since we're removing the template from the pages on which it was used, is the template itself being deleted as well?

Yeah, the redirect is gone now, and after the SysOps have finished replacing it on the protected pages, the template will be deleted too.

It makes sense because my IPad can't scroll down.

Knife said:
MnSG said:

For an image...

codingissue.png

I don't understand why it's doing that either. My guess is that there's something in one of those templates on top that's causing the problem.
My guess is that that final header has no text under it. Today I put the scroll box on this page (I didn't see that this rule was made, I reverted my edit already) and by putting }} under the header it worked properly. The template is NOT the problem, but would SOLVE it.

It appears RandomYoshi has solved the problem for us. I forgot about using HTML tags substitute Wikisyntax, you can replace any header tag with <h#>[title of section]</h#>, with # being the level of the heading. Thanks to everyone who helped out, we got this done quicker than I expected.

Next up: a thread about the new proposal archiving system.

Lindsay and I went ahead and removed the few remaining transcluded scrollboxes on archive pages*. You guys decide what to do with the userspace usage.

*I better get a promotion for this.

That's not as much of a concern since all that will happen will be the userpages looking lousy; the users in question can remove their usages at their convenience I assume.

@Knife: It is my understanding that the Sysops will be dealing with the existing archives getting moved, and the rest of us only have to understand how the system works for future archiving purposes, correct?

Magus, that is correct. We're done with this portion of the project. I will be handling transcribing the old proposals into the archive template. All you guys are responsible for are understanding how the proposal archiving sytem works, so you guys can take over at some point.

Anyway, it may take me a little long to complete this project, so give me 3 weeks to finish it. If anyone's interested in helping me out, shoot me a PM.

Back