The Official Dragon Ball/Z/GT/Kai/Super Thread

Dragon Ball Super is over. What did you think of it?

• Indifferent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Disliked it

• Hated it

• Total voters
Re: The Official Dragon Ball/Z/GT/Kai Thread

What do you think they'll use for Cells personality?

ernesth100 said:

not sure

i just hope its going to be good as frieza.

abridged frieza is fantastic.

My favourite quotes

"Oh my other me!"

"Mom, why don't you age?
Your father doesn't let me!"

ernesth100 said:
I think they're going to make his first form completely serious and creepy. Then his second form is going to be a complete joke. His perfect form will probably extremely gay and flamboyant.

Just my prediction.

Zae Roles said:
ernesth100 said:

not sure

i just hope its going to be good as frieza.

abridged frieza is fantastic.
If I am truly evil let god strike me down right now.
*Lightning*
Ha you'll have try better than that next time!

On an unrelated note, here's a rant I posted over on Reddit. Anyone else agree?

I know this is a highly controversial opinion and I'm expecting this to get downvoted into the ground, but I just want people to read this. In my opinion, Dragon Ball Z Kai is far and away the best version of the series. There are several aspects that I wish to bring up.

The first is the pacing. Kai is much, much, much better paced than the original show. The original was very slow. Goku's fight with Frieza is a great example. I love that fight, but it goes on way too long in DBZ. Seriously, four hours! Kai cuts down the length of the fight and I still get the same, if not more enjoyment out of it. The needless filler being cut was also a godsend. Makes everything flow smoother. The removal of filler also makes it more accurate to the manga, which is great.
Then there's the voice acting, specifically the dub. It is so much better in Kai. The new voices are good several reasons. First of all, everyone's acting has greatly improved. The original dub is unbearably bad in some parts, most notably in the Frieza saga. Seriosly, compare the acting in this scene, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-hWFQ5utZE, with the Kai version, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McNvFXX82Q4. The new voices also added much more variety. Christopher Sabat no longer voices half the characters. In the original dub, the repeated use of his voice was painfully obvious. Here, the added variety makes it feel more natural.

Perhaps the most controversial voice change with Frieza. Not to knock Linda Young, but Chris Ayers' Frieza is far and away the superior version. His Frieza sounds much more cold, evil, threatening, and less like an old lady. He is legitimately terrifying in some scenes. Another voice change with a lot of controversy is Gohan. I for one like his new young voice. He actually sounds like a six year old, like he's supposed to. Though I will admit, Teen Gohan's voice probably should have been different.

Music is another point I wish to bring up. I was not a fan of the original Yamamoto score for Kai. However, after the plagiarism involving him, they went back to the original Japanese score. I loved this change. Now, I really like Bruce Faulconer's score. A lot of people complain that his music sounds like generic heavy metal, but some tracks like the Spirit Bomb and Heaven Sent Trunks are very good pieces. However, my one problem with it was that it NEVER. STOPPED. PLAYING. Sometimes, silence is much more effective than constant music. The scene I posted earlier is a good example. In Kai, after Kami and Piccolo fuse, there is pure silence as Piccolo walks away and gets ready to go fight Cell. In the original, that song is blasting in your face.

So that was my big rant about Kai vs. The original. Don't get me wrong, I love the original show, but Kai just does it better. I think most people are blinded by nostalgia for the original show.

Oh, and before anyone screams "kai sucks! it haz no blood!", that's just the TV versions. The DVD version has all the uncut blood, swearing, and nudity that people claim that Kai doesn't have.

...meh, I don't really care which is better. I care that they fight and there are explosions. Because its Dragon Ball Z...where screaming makes you stronger.

Kai is superior if you're looking for pacing and all that goodness, but some of the original filler was gold :y

So anyways I really hope they decide to continue atleast for a couple of episodes and make GT canon. How the heck is GT not canon again?

ernesth100 said:
So anyways I really hope they decide to continue atleast for a couple of episodes and make GT canon. How the heck is GT not canon again?

pretty sure toriyama didnt count it as canon

Kai is superior if you're looking for pacing and all that goodness, but some of the original filler was gold :y

honestly the only good filler at all was the driving episode.

everything else was meh and jesus christ the original was very sluggish.

Zae Roles said:
ernesth100 said:

Then...why, and how did they air it?

ernesth100 said:
Zae Roles said:
ernesth100 said:

Then...why, and how did they air it?

it doesnt need to be canon to air it lol

kinda like how they air the movies

I...then thats just false advertising. Airing movies and episodes under the name of the show only to find out they have nothing to do with the show and therefore are completely irrelevant to the plot.

ernesth100 said:
I...then thats just false advertising. Airing movies and episodes under the name of the show only to find out they have nothing to do with the show and therefore are completely irrelevant to the plot.

welcome to the universe of dragonball

Zae Roles said:
ernesth100 said:

Wait, what movies are non canon?

A lot of people complain that [Bruce Faulconer]'s music sounds like generic heavy metal
I've noticed. I don't know about anyone else, but I personally find the Japanese score to be incredibly overrated. Aside from maybe a few songs (that weren't recycled from Dragon Ball), there are next to no tracks that were truly memorable and/or fit the scenes in the way they were supposed to. Honestly, I feel that this score gets far too much credit, simply because it's the "original" soundtrack. In other words, if Faulconer's score existed first, rather than the Japanese score, it wouldn't be getting all the unnecessary hate that it gets. Ugh, the Japanese version purists... The only people worse than them are Ocean dub fanboys.

ernesth100 said:
Zae Roles said:
ernesth100 said:

Wait, what movies are non canon?

i think the only one that is canon is battle of the gods or whatever the name is

all the other ones are not canon as seem to take place in places that dont match up with the manga/anime/etc.

Bat King Antasma said:
A lot of people complain that [Bruce Faulconer]'s music sounds like generic heavy metal
I've noticed. I don't know about anyone else, but I personally find the Japanese score to be incredibly overrated. Aside from maybe a few songs (that weren't recycled from Dragon Ball), there are next to no tracks that were truly memorable and/or fit the scenes in the way they were supposed to. Honestly, I feel that this score gets far too much credit, simply because it's the "original" soundtrack. In other words, if Faulconer's score existed first, rather than the Japanese score, it wouldn't be getting all the unnecessary hate that it gets. Ugh, the Japanese version purists... The only people worse than them are Ocean dub fanboys.
I myself like Faulconer's score, except for the fact that it's constantly playing. There is never a moment of silence.

And yeah, can't stand Ocean dub fanboys. That dub is horrible.

I actually like the Ocean dub, to be honest, but I guess it's mainly nostalgia on my part. After all, it's what truly got me into the Dragon Ball series in the first place. Even though it's heavily-edited (complete with laughable censorship), it still has its good points. It also had an awesome soundtrack, with this being one such example.

Let's not forget that Bardock was an average fighter, but was a brilliant scientist.

So speaking of dubs. I found this other dbz gt abridged series. You should all watch it. Unless(like very many people for some reason) you don't like knock offs.

GalacticPetey said:
Let's not forget that Bardock was an average fighter, but was a brilliant scientist.
Yeah, that line was a classic. That would have been a pretty good backstory for the Moon Blast technique if Vegeta hadn't claimed that Bardock was a scientist. In all fairness, though, that episode aired about three years before Bardock: The Father of Goku was dubbed and released on DVD, and six years before the Toonami airing.

Bat King Antasma said:
GalacticPetey said:
Yeah, that line was a classic. That would have been a pretty good backstory for the Moon Blast technique if Vegeta hadn't claimed that Bardock was a scientist. In all fairness, though, that episode aired about three years before Bardock: The Father of Goku was dubbed and released on DVD, and six years before the Toonami airing.
Bardock's a scientist?

No, but he was in the Ocean dub, according to Vegeta.

Okay now I see. Everyone says the art feels different than usual in Battle of the Gods. Honestly I think they tried to do it Pokemon style with all the realistic imagery. Think about it watch fight scene from battle of the gods next to a pokemon fight scene. Don't they seem similar now?

Back