I have a question about Navi:

A small glowing blue orb with wings and a nasal voice that never shuts up, even if you're perfectly aware of the situation, unlike Tatl or Midna, with little character development outside of the beginning and end of the game. Why not hate her? Aside from Wallmasters, all she ever did for me was point out the obvious. She's only behind Tingle and those creepy cross-dressers from Lake Hylia in TP in terms of my hate.

IIRC, all she does is make a bell noise when she wants attention. Also, Tatl only drops her hint once, and only more than once if you need it. Oh yeah, and she's a better developed character too.

Bop1996 said:
A small glowing blue orb with wings and a nasal voice
Her voice isn't that bad, really. Not nearly as bad and repetitive as everyone says she is...

that never shuts up, even if you're perfectly aware of the situation,
Come on, name 5 times that she did that. 5 separate times.

with little character development outside of the beginning and end of the game.
[/quote]
Link, anyone? How about [insert almost any other character in the game]? When I made my personality quiz based on OoT, I had a hard time coming up with good answers for anyone BUT Navi...

Why not hate her?
Lots of reasons.

The Spiked Red One said:
Bop1996 said:
Her voice isn't that bad, really. Not nearly as bad and repetitive as everyone says she is...

Link, anyone? How about [insert almost any other character in the game]? When I made my personality quiz based on OoT, I had a hard time coming up with good answers for anyone BUT Navi...

Why not hate her?
Lots of reasons.
1. It annoys me plenty.
2.Every time I was participating in a sidequest, either upon start of the game or around every 30 minutes, she mentioned something about the plot I already know. So basically every time I started up the game over a few months. You do the math.
3.I'm not even going to debate this very much. Navi basically states the obvious for every moment and isn't plot-relevant except when she shows up and when she leaves. Any other character, even minor ones, have more relevance.
4.Name enough that outweigh mine for hating her, please.

New Super Mario said:
I like her Krizzy. So, you're not the only one. I like her voice, and don't find it annoying.
I pity you deeply.

Now I'm no Zelda fan. But I do have something that may be relevent to the discussion. There was an episode of Chuggaaconroy's Let's Play of Majora's Mask when during the Water Temple he talks about this subject regarding Navi's apparent Hatedom. Again I'm no Zelda series fan and without that fact I can't really be involved too much in this discussion, and I haven't seen all the arguments about Navi. But I think some of his points defending Navi were really good.

If you want to hear his thoughts only. Skip ahead to about 11:45 in the video. His discussion on the subject goes on until about the 15:00 mark.

I've heard the arguments for, but most of them fall under Link's feelings, and I always preferred to add a touch of individuality to my Link, which falls under hating everyone that asks for something in a jerky manner.

Bop1996 said:
New Super Mario said:
I like her Krizzy. So, you're not the only one. I like her voice, and don't find it annoying.
I pity you deeply.
Why?

Bop1996 said:
The Spiked Red One said:
Bop1996 said:

Why not hate her?
Lots of reasons.
1. It annoys me plenty.
2.Every time I was participating in a sidequest, either upon start of the game or around every 30 minutes, she mentioned something about the plot I already know. So basically every time I started up the game over a few months. You do the math.
3.I'm not even going to debate this very much. Navi basically states the obvious for every moment and isn't plot-relevant except when she shows up and when she leaves. Any other character, even minor ones, have more relevance.

1.Okay, everybody is entitled to their opinion. But she does not actually constantly shout HEY LISTEN LINK HELLO LISTEN HELLO LINK WATCHOUT at any point in the game.
2.... do the math? I don't know about you, but when I play a game, I play it through without turning it off and on a lot...
3.What?
4.a. She's helpful.
b. Admit it: without her, you wouldn't last 5 minutes.
c. Without a strictly defined character, the fanfic authors can go nuts.
d. She's easy to draw. Believe me, any character that's easy to draw is fine by me.
e.Tatl: voice sounds like 5,000 other sound effects in that game. Midna: Annoying idiotic jerk with an annoyingly fake-sounding language. Navi at least has a voice that's recognizably english and distguishable from other sounds.
f. I admire the fact that she fought with Link in the final battle.

_ said:
The Spiked Red One said:
4.a. She's helpful.
http://www.platypuscomix.net/interactive2/princesszelda.jpg
Stating the obvious isn't helpful.
Without Navi:

What the HECK do I do next!?

What is this block and why does it have a moon on it?

Why did that pig just charge me with no warning?

Also, you wouldn't know about Wallmasters. How would that feel?

Also, Tatl is just as bad.

Was OOT that hard for you? ._.

Midna was most useful and had a personality and decent role she' not some useless cardboard cut out like the previous "helpers".

Hell the people in OOT game are more useful than her.

I saw someone saying Tatl is better than Navi. Then I laughed. Because all Tatl does is give you prompts to listen to her advice and then call you stupid for listening to her advice.

PokemonMaster said:
Because she doesn't stop talking. She has a million voices. It ' s insane.

Give me three instances in which she says a bunch of things without stopping. Contrary to popular belief, she does not actually go 'HEY LISTEN HELLO LISTEN LINK HEY LISTEN WATCHOUT LINK HEY LINK WATCHOUT' unless you are stupid enough to tap 'Z' quickly when between two enemies.

Also: She can't be all THAT annoying, because I managed to get most of the way through the game without knowing how 'annoying' she was. I only found out because of teh intarnets.

Anyone who's played OoT 3D knows she's worse in that game. Now, if it's been a while since you've done anything productive, she's like "why don't you go find a Sheikah Stone?" or some *bleep* like that (thankfully, that's not in Master Quest) in addition to the usual prompts, and like Lubba in SMG2, she tells you when your damn batteries are running low, as if you're too stupid to realize that yourself.

Mario4Ever said:
Anyone who's played OoT 3D knows she's worse in that game. Now, if it's been a while since you've done anything productive, she's like "why don't you go find a Sheikah Stone?" or some *bleep* like that (thankfully, that's not in Master Quest) in addition to the usual prompts, and like Lubba in SMG2, she tells you when your damn batteries are running low, as if you're too stupid to realize that yourself.
Oh, lord this is gold. What were they thinking? lol.

The Spiked Red One said:
Bop1996 said:
New Super Mario said:
I pity you deeply.
Why?

Bop1996 said:
The Spiked Red One said:
Bop1996 said:

Why not hate her?
Lots of reasons.
1. It annoys me plenty.

1.Okay, everybody is entitled to their opinion. But she does not actually constantly shout HEY LISTEN LINK HELLO LISTEN HELLO LINK WATCHOUT at any point in the game.
2.... do the math? I don't know about you, but when I play a game, I play it through without turning it off and on a lot...
3.What?
4.a. She's helpful.
d. She's easy to draw. Believe me, any character that's easy to draw is fine by me.
e.Tatl: voice sounds like 5,000 other sound effects in that game. Midna: Annoying idiotic jerk with an annoyingly fake-sounding language. Navi at least has a voice that's recognizably english and distguishable from other sounds.
1.That would fall under opinion at this point.
2.Try around 30-40 times.
3.Little to no character development for her compared to plenty for minor NPCs like Talon and Malon.
4.a.All she did was state the obvious. "The ceiling is falling!" she says. Since the ceiling is on the floor, it's reasonable to assume that it has fallen.
b.I would prove it using the Ganondorf battle, but it took less than five minutes without her and using the Biggoron's Sword, so I don't have direct proof per se.
c.Fanfic authors? TBH, I could care less what the fanfic authors can do with her. They could also make Tingle a character in a fancic, but I deeply hate him.
d.Also, I've never seen any artwork features on a major Zelda fan site based off Navi; most prefer to draw Link or Zelda or something.
e and f. Tatl: Better a generic ringing sound than a nasal voice complaining at you. Midna and Final battle: Can't find an image of her with that giant hand grabbing the Beast Ganon form, but that's about 25 times more useful than just allowing you to Z-target. Midna doesn't just fight alongside Link, she actively participates in the battle and nearly sacrifices herself to save Link and Zelda, which in and of itself is more character development than Navi gets all game.

Oh, and I don't really like Tatl or pre-Master Sword Midna, but both get more character development and are less annoying than Navi.

Bop1996 said:
The Spiked Red One said:
3.What?
4.a. She's helpful.
1.That would fall under opinion at this point.
2.Try around 30-40 times.
3.Little to no character development for her compared to plenty for minor NPCs like Talon and Malon.
4.a.All she did was state the obvious. "The ceiling is falling!" she says. Since the ceiling is on the floor, it's reasonable to assume that it has fallen.
b.I would prove it using the Ganondorf battle, but it took less than five minutes without her and using the Biggoron's Sword, so I don't have direct proof per se.
c.Fanfic authors? TBH, I could care less what the fanfic authors can do with her. They could also make Tingle a character in a fancic, but I deeply hate him.
d.Also, I've never seen any artwork features on a major Zelda fan site based off Navi; most prefer to draw Link or Zelda or something.
e and f. Tatl: Better a generic ringing sound than a nasal voice complaining at you. Midna and Final battle: Can't find an image of her with that giant hand grabbing the Beast Ganon form, but that's about 25 times more useful than just allowing you to Z-target. Midna doesn't just fight alongside Link, she actively participates in the battle and nearly sacrifices herself to save Link and Zelda, which in and of itself is more character development than Navi gets all game.

Oh, and I don't really like Tatl or pre-Master Sword Midna, but both get more character development and are less annoying than Navi.

1. What? How does this fall under opinion?

2. Why do you turn the game on and off like a spastic reindeer?

3. Okay, I'll give you that.

4.a.Okay, how would you like not knowing how to push blocks or use the A button at all? Also, you wouldn't be able to talk to Saria without Navi. And you wouldn't know about Wallmasters.

b.I mean like in regular combat. Try to fight a miniboss battle that involves shooting or boomeranging without Z-targeting. The tentacles in Jabu-Jabu were a great example.

c.Well, I'm just saying that they are happy because they can basically have Navi be their own character while still saying that it's canon-based. Also, Tingle does have a (however repulsive) character and personality of his own, so the fanfic authors can't really do much with him. As a fanfic author myself, I'm kind of insulted at that comment about them, and I could say the same about you. Nobody likes a sociopath.

d. Ever been on DeviantArt? also, I'm not saying that everyone has to like Navi because she's easy to draw, but I like her because she's easy to draw. Circle: wings: sparklies. No real challenge there.

e/f. Tatl: But I don't even realize that she's trying to tell me something, because she sound like 5,000 other SFX in the game. Midna: Yeah, okay, Midna is better than Navi in the respect of what she does for you in-game, but if Midna controlled your z-targeting like Navi does, you wouldn't be able to do anything without her either.

Also, you still haven't told me why you pity NSM...

Back