JPG Help

All I know about uploading images and such is directly related to ripping them from YT videos, and what I know is that saving them as a JPG takes up about a tenth of the memory that saving them as a PNG does usually.

I know nothing whatsoever about this matter. I don't even know the difference between a .jpg and a .png in the first place, let alone how to convert one to the other.

Pinkie Pie said:
I was talking about converting a JPG into a PNG without the bytes going up...
Well then, AFAIK, you can't. But someone with 1337 image editing skills might know how to, so I don't have an absolute answer.

Pinkie Pie said:
I was talking about converting a JPG into a PNG without the bytes going up...
You could shrink it I guess but by definition a PNG image takes more space than a JPG.

You can't convert back after it has been gone through a JPG transformation. Therefore, the best way is to either leave it as JPG (since I see no point into turning it into a PNG after it has been through a JPG transformation) or find the original PNG picture.

Pinkie Pie said:
Anyone know how to convert a JPG into a PNG without the number of bytes changing?
Try RIOT. It's going to probably decrease the quality some way or another, depending on the image. (Usually by decreasing the color palette, from what I've seen.)

You can actually specify the exact amount of bytes you want it to shoot for.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but whatever your image is, it has been JPG'd. Converting it to a PNG will not repair that. Thus, as far as I know, people don't normally convert JPG files to PNG files.

Converting JPEGs into PNGs isn't exactly a wise option, since image uploads can't use more than 10 MB on the Mario Wiki. While PNG is better than JPEG, it typically uses more memory, and that can prove to be an issue when we're talking about very large images.

Back