The Forum Reading List

Bop1996 said:
@Donut: Me. All five of them.
But have you read And Another Thing... By Eoin Colfer? It's officially Part of the series.

No, I wan't aware of that...

Bec Noir said:
Javelin: I recommend the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini if you haven't read any of the books yet. (Last book out Tuesday!!!! :D) I also like reading Star Wars novels and the Redwall series. I agree with you about the Icemark books, they were great. The Bartimaeus books are awesome (not just because they use footnotes awesomely). I occasionally read Antony Horowitz's books.
Ah yes I do remember Eragon and the Redwall series, it's been a while but I have read those.

Also Rick Riordan writes some great books, all of his Olympus series are great (I still need to get around to reading The Son of Neptune) and the Egyptian ones were good too.

I can't believe I actually forgot to mention 1984. That one's great... I've been meaning to read Animal Farm, too.

I also like the Inheritance Cycle and CANNOT WAIT for Inheritance to come out. I've been speculating about what's going to happen ever since the day Brisingr was out.

Also, I really do not want this to be a Twilight-hate discussion, but. No. It was okay in terms of basic entertainment, but in terms of true literary quality...

Eoin Colfer is a good author; I absolutely loved Artemis Fowl. I've never read any of his other books, though.

I liked the Pendragon series (the one with Bobby Pendragon, not the Pendragon Cycle).

What about To Kill A Mockingbird? I seem to be the only one in my English class who liked it.

And The Outsiders?

Dr. Javelin said:
Also Rick Riordan writes some great books, all of his Olympus series are great (I still need to get around to reading The Son of Neptune) and the Egyptian ones were good too.

Olympus series? Is that with The Lightning Thief, or am I totally off the mark? I've heard those are good.

My friend really likes City of Bones. Has anyone read those books?

schmutz said:
Eoin Colfer is a good author; I absolutely loved Artemis Fowl. I've never read any of his other books, though.
Ah yes I have the entire series on my bookshelf wall right now.

schmutz said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Olympus series? Is that with The Lightning Thief, or am I totally off the mark? I've heard those are good.
Yeah, that's what I was talking about.

Dr. Javelin said:
Awwww Yeaaaahhh!!!

I read all 5 of the original series. He's a really splendid writer.

I love the Hitchhiker series. Haven't Animal Farm yet, but I've read 1984. Rick Riordan's books are cool. The Artemis Fowl series was great. Haven't read ...And Another Thing yet though. I have read the Twilight books....they were alright, but the films suck.

My Dad has lent me a war book called 'Stalingrad' what he thinks I might like, after I have finished Breaking Dawn I will read it.

Read Artemis Fowl series. I love it,but book 8 sounds ridiculous.
Percy Jackson's pretty good too.

Eh, that book was alright but it really doesn't compare to other contemporary books. Eragon beats it in every way.

Bec Noir said:
I love the Hitchhiker series. Haven't Animal Farm yet, but I've read 1984. Rick Riordan's books are cool. The Artemis Fowl series was great. Haven't read ...And Another Thing yet though. I have read the Twilight books....they were alright, but the films suck.

Now you've got no excuse.

Donut said:
Alex Rider? I hate that series. Every book is the same and has flaws in it.

The only one I even remotely like out of those is Skeleton Key.

Eagle Strike was pretty good, actually.

He did everything on his own this time instead of relying on MI5.

Dr. Javelin said:
Eagle Strike was pretty good, actually.

He did everything on his own this time instead of relying on MI5.
He still had help from Smithers and it followed the same re-skinned plot from every book. Crazy rich guyfrom humble beginnings is insane. He chalenges Alex to a game, Alex wins, Alex saves the world, Alex is captured but escapes, Jack tells him not to go. (But this is the last time I let you do it!)

GalacticPetey said:
I reccomend anything by Michael Crichton.

I've only read Next. Are there any others that you'd recommend?

Oh there are so many books I want to recommend! But I'll limit myself for now.

Okay, so. Lord Darcy (which is actually 10 short stories and a novel) by Richard Garrett. (There's also two novels by Michael Kurland). It's an alternate reality detective series, where the Plantagenet dynasty is still on the throne (Richard didn't die in 1199) and there's magic, which is basically a science with laws and rules. I highly recommend it, and try to get the full anthology version (aptly named Lord Darcy) which contains all the stuff by Garrett.

Another good one is the Isaac Bell series, by Clive Cussler. Currently four books - The Chase, The Wrecker, The Spy, and The Race. It's the same adventure style as his Dirk Pitt and other NUMA books, but set in the opening decades of the 1900s. Very good read if you're looking for action novels.

Additionally, there's The Ear, The Eye, and The Arm, by Nancy Farmer. That one deals with three detectives and their attempt to find a trio of kidnapped children in Zimbabwe in 2194 - but that's an incredibly oversimplified plot summary and I don't think I could describe it well. Anyhow, yeah, very good sci-fi stuff.

Also, there's my two favorite Star Trek novels - First Frontier and Windows on a Lost World. They're by different authors, and they're both great reads if you want sci-fi stuff. (Both are novels set in TOS)

...And I think that's enough for now. :V

Back