Top Ten/Review Thread

I think you missed one: the Black Omen's theme from Chrono Trigger.

Do you even know what a Review is? Heres one of Kirby's Adventure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SsUZDqTvWY
It's his first Review in a awhile and he's done KRtD & Banjo Kazooie. And he's making another one. He's probably my favourite reviewer

Game Quickie: Super Mario Galaxy 2

Story:
So Mario goes to his second (first?) Star Festival, and awaits a cake Peach promised she'd bake for him, but then a gigantic Bowser shows up, apparently previously used the power of the Grand Stars to make him so, steals Peach and crushes the castle, and absconds? Whoa, that's almost the definition of cliched. At least it gets the job done. But seriously, Nintendo, you couldn't do any better?

5/10

Graphics:

To be honest, this is a very pretty game. It really shows off the power of the Wii, and boy what a power the Wii holds. Almost every level is breathtakingly gorgeous (albeit a few... hrmm... lacking galaxies), and the character models are well-executed and perform their job well. It's obvious that Nintendo put a lot of work into their graphics department in preparation of this game.

10/10

Sound/Music:

The music in this game, while not as phenominal as the first galaxy, still manages to awe the player with its splendor and execution. Whoever orchestrated this deserves a pat on the back. I just would've liked a few more original tracks, and it would have been perfect. The sound effects are ripped straight from the first game, but that's understandable, and it's not like the SE is bad or anything. No, the real reason this game got only a 7/10 in this department is the complete lack of voice acting. After a Mario game made almost 10 years ago performed voice acting proficiently, I am puzzled as to why Nintendo still refuses to give Martinet and co. a chance. Come on, Nintendo, get into the 21st century.

7/10

Gameplay:

The gameplay in this game is, honestly, not that bad. At least not on its own. But the glaring similarities between this and its predecessor does not sit well with me. You'd think that there'd be some new standard moves in this game or level features, but there aren't. It's just a rehash of the first game with slightly different levels. And by "slightly different," I mean disgustingly more linear.

Now, the weapons arsenal at least has recieved an overhaul. The Bee and Boo Mushrooms return, and are fun to use, but why the hell would Nintendo choose to bring back the infamous Spring Mushroom instead of, say, the Ice Flower? And the new Rock Mushroom is just as bad. This is a minor problem I have, but the item list is seriously lacking.

Moving on to Yoshi. Now, like in NSMBW, you cannot take Yoshi with you from world to world. And Yoshi is only found in a highly select number of worlds. The non-playable Toads get just as much screen time.

Ultimately, the gameplay is good, but not stellar, unlike the first game. It could be worse, but it could be infinitely better.

14/20

Controls:

Simple to learn, simple to use. Basically, use the control stick to move, press A to jump, and jiggle the Wiimote to do a "star spin." Anything else you may need to know is provided in-game. I have no problem moving Mario around (bar when he's Spring Mario).

5/5

Replayability:

Tons. You could complete the main quest in about a week, but World S and the Green Stars will keep you going at it for a while. Props to Nintendo in this area.

5/5.

Overall:

I'm on the fence with this one. It is perhaps one of the most overrated games in Mario history, IMO, but it's not inherently bad. While I loved the first game, be wary when purchasing this one. You could find it amazing, like I know some have, or you could find it absolutely terrible. I merely find it "fair." It could be much better, but it's better than it could have been.

46/60

7.6/10
"Fair"

That's a nice set-out review you have there. Be a shame if someone copied it... well not really, I dont have a good sort fo layout for reviews so could I use yours? Here I'll try it.

Super Mario 3D Land

Story:
A Dark Cloudy Storm is blowing the Tanooki Leaves off the Tanooki Tree, The next morning, Mario & 3 Toads go and find the Leaves missing. A Toad spots a floating letter and Mario looks at it, revealing a Picture of Bowser having Peach in a cage. They Panic and run to go save her. Well, to be honest, Mario games were never known for their stories, even Shigeru stated he wanted Mario Games to have very little story. It was explained well without the use of talking but a little more could've been done.
7/10

Graphics:
The 3DS isn't known for it's graphics but this game really shows what it can do. The 3D effect isnt so much a Gimmick in this game as much as it is needed to get the full experience. The colorful setting suits the Style of Mario games. While their not the best graphics ever, they fit and work perfectly.
10/10

Music:
The Music in Mario games is usually great but when it comes down to it, theres really no tracks that catch attention. The background themes suit the level but aren't worth sitting down and spending time listening too. They're a bit Sub-Par Nintendo, Better Luck Next Time
5/10

Gameplay:
3D Land plays how a classic Mario would, Going from Point A to Point B, with a time limit and Power-Ups. Being one of the main themes of the game, the tanooki Leaf will be the Power-Up you see the most. Next in line is the Fire Flower, the Boomerang Flower and by the end, the Statue Leaf. While these Power-Ups are great, there isnt much variety liek there is in other games, more varied Power-Ups would've been great. Enemies are scattered throughout the world but they lack much difference from other levels. You'll see many enemies more than once and are re-used alot. To amke variety, they added Tanooki Tails to enemies but that doesnt really make it too different, other than it spins. the Levels are creative but the Enemy Placement and Power-Up repetitiveness could have gone better.
7/10

Controls:
The Controls in this game are superb. I didnt find a problem at all controlling Mario, when I wanted him to flip, sprint, Long jump; He would do it. Getting the hang of the Long Jump does take some time but when you get it down it works great. Good Job Nintendo, ya did great in this department.
10/10

Replayability:
If you're a completist then theres alot to offer. The levels may be short but they dont overstay their welcome like in previous games. They stay for a good ammount of time that they arent boring but arent lacking. The game even includes 8 Special Worlds for you to try and conquer and to add to teh replayability, you can't say you've completed the game until you've beaten EVERY level, gotten ALL the Golden Flagpoles and Star Medals and Beaten each level with both Mario & Luigi. Yes, Luigi is in the game, but thats not a big spoiler much anymore.
10/10

Overall:
Even though it doesn't take a very long time to beat, Super Mario 3D Land manages to keep you captivated while you play as the levels constantly change as you progress. You can't rent 3DS games but if you could, this would be better as a buy more than a rent, as it'll keep you coming back for more.
49/60

8.2/10

Wow, thats a shit ton more easier to review with.

Crackin355 said:
That's a nice set-out review you have there. Be a shame if someone copied it... well not really, I dont have a good sort fo layout for reviews so could I use yours?

I don't mind at all. I actually kinda copied it from GameFAQ's myself.

Okay. You can't just rate games. You have to list WHY! Oh yeah, I considered Black Omen, but decided not to include it. There were several more I had wanted to include. Now that I actually have SM3DL, time to review.

Story: The story was pretty bland. After a storm blows her beloved Tanooki Leaves off a tree, Peach goes outside UNATTENDED to check the damage and...you likely know what happens. I was expecting much more after the simple but effective story of SMG2. Mario storylines have almost always been very straightforward. But this just didn't settle well with me.

SCORE: 6/10

Gameplay: The idea of a 2.5-dimensional game worked pretty well with SPM, so Nintendo did it again. This time, it was a 2.5-dimensional SIDESCROLLER. Uh huh...while an obvious idea, it hasn't seemed to have been incorporated really at all. The true gameplay is great. Whether you're trying to squish a Paragoomba or dodge a Tail Thwomp, it really keeps you on your toes.

SCORE: 10/10

Control: The controls in this game are fluent and responsive. I enjoy the incorporation of the gyro sensor when you look through binoculars. It almost seems like you're actually looking into them...

Music And Sound: The sound effects are simple and straightforward. Easy as that. The music, while good and fitting, really didn't blow me away (except for the last battle). So if you're all for VGM, this game isn't one of your best choices.

SCORE: 7/10

Lasting Impression: THERE IS SO MUCH TO DO in this game. You can't say it's utterly beaten in my opinion unless you have a full life counter, all Star Medals, all Golden Checkpoints (my name for flagpoles), all levels beaten with both brothers, and every secret path. Sometimes, I even include a score of 999,999,990 on that list. But, to say the least, it'll take you awhile.

FINAL: 43/50 OR 8.6/10

SM3DL is slightly overrated, but is still a great game. I would recommend it to almost anyone.

Nice. I still stick with my score though. I'm gonna review Skyward Sword and Mario Kart 7 when I get them.

Ok fine I'll give reasons

Lego Star Wars 2 the Original Trilogy

9/10
Fun game with funny moments and lots of stuff to find but is hard to beat 100%

Yoshidude99 said:
Ok fine I'll give reasons

Lego Star Wars 2 the Original Trilogy

9/10
Fun game with funny moments and lots of stuff to find but is hard to beat 100%
You wouldn't be referring to that one stupid glitch, now would you?

Yoshidude99 said:
What glitch?
IIRC, it's in the EP VI Super Story mission, which must be completed to 100% the game, but it crashed everytime on one place on all systems...

Mario4Ever said:
Top ten crappiest home consoles.

CHALLENGE 1: do not list the Atari Jaguar or the 3DO.

Mario4Ever said:
Top ten crappiest home consoles.
All these are good. But this one I'll do now. (Jag was actually good. The 32-bit software had a lot of stuff added that somehow boosted it to 64. The process was so complicated that few games could use its full potential.) But no 3DO?! FUUUUU- Since 3DO would obviously be #1...I'll exclude it.

Nintendo 64DD. Released in 1999, this thing was DOOMED. Added on like a Siamese twin to the N64, Nintendo expected bad sales due to it having took TWO YEARS to make. ONLY NINE games were released, and they were all Japan-only. Just 10,000 of these trash bags were even sold! But it's low because Nintendo at least acknowledged it and got themselves out of the crapper before they reached their Game Over.

Sega CD. The Sega CD uses processing. But the day and age was too young for it. That's why most of their games are LITERALLY MOVIES! Jeez, if I wanted a visual novel, I'd bust out my laptop and play some Umineko. So...badly...PIXELATED! But it at least DOES have the best Sonic game ever, Sonic CD.

Virtual Boy. I can't say anymore. I need to rest my eyes.

Sega 32X. SELF-EXPLANATORY.

Atari 7800. Honestly Atari. Do you think those one-button games WOULD EVEN COME CLOSE to the games expected in the 8-bit era!?

Wonder Wizard.

Kid in '73: HOLY SH*T A HOME PONG CONSOLE! IWANTITIWANTITIWANTITIWANTIT AND I WANT IT RIGHT NOW!

Later...

Same Kid: THIS THING DOESN'T WORK! &@$!&@?#+>?~£•)&(<\|¥>^}=*+%{,[.]-!

...Kid, whaddaya expect? The body is made fully from a Magmavox...speaking of...

4. (I'm tired, okay?)

Magnavox Odyssey. I can't really say much due to the limited info. You have SHEETS for detail. All it is is a blue screen with a dot...but it was '72, so it's kinda to be expected. So it's a bit low.

CD-I. Also self-explanatory.

Atari 5200. The games were a bit more complicated than 2600. But THE CONTROLLERS BREAK SO EASILY...HOLY SHEESH. And they're worse than the Intellevision, I gotta say.

I couldn't help it. 3DO. SEVEN HUNDRED BUCKS FOR A SH*TTY THIRD PARTY SYSTEM THAT DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BECAUSE ALL THE GAMES SUCK AND THE CONTROLLER IS A DEMENTED RIPOFF OF THE SNES ONE, WHICH THEY ALREADY MOCKED IN THE COMMERCIAL!? ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? Seriously. RLY!?

Top 10 Sonic games

No reasons given it's just my favourites

10 Sonic Triple Trouble
9 Sonic the Fighters
8 Sonic and the Secret Rings
7 Sonic 1
6 Sonic 2
5 Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
4 Sonic Colours
3 Sonic Unleashed
2 Sonic Generations
1 Shadow the Hedgehog